The Samsung Galaxy S24
joehkc's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 6:36 PM

Upgrade Captivate to Gingerbread

My captivate is running 2.2 at the present. From viewing posts, it looks like there has been a Gingerbread upgrade available, although not without problems. I wasn't notified of this one by ATT like I was with Froyo, and a mini kies program was pushed to me. Is there a 2.3 upgrade available, and would anyone recommend upgrading to it? My Froyo works flawlessly, but I understand battery usage/management and task management is better with Gingerbread.

Thanks...Joe

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

12 years ago

Joe, I would definitely recommend upgrading to 2.3.5 on the Captivate. The system speed and battery life are greatly enhanced due to the improved Dalvik performance. There are really too many pro's and no con's that I know of. The only down side is that it's best to do a full factory reset both prior to updating and again after the update. That's what I always do and have 0 issues on GB.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

12 years ago

I ended up doing a GSM Reset and that seems to have resolved the "freezes". GSM Reset is itself easy, but readding all the applications is time consuming (though easy too).

Overall 2.3.5 is much better.

• Icons are crisper
  • email client is much much better
  • you can download apps from non market sources (e.g. Amazon Market)
  • faster
  • the cut/paste/select is much better
  • I can no add line breaks in the email signature and have it work!
  • Probably lots of internal things in the OS that I dont see!

I have one issue that seems to be a bug in Gingerbread. When I play music and a notification (e.g. for email) is triggered, the media volume is muted (set to 0) and does not reset when the notification sound is over.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate your quick reply

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm not sure whether I want to keep my FroYo 2.2 or update to Gingerbread, too. This sounds re-assuring! Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I upgraded two Captivate phones to Gingerbread 2.3.5, from the official Samsung upgrade. One word - Horrible. I am pulling my hair for this. I had upgraded to Froyo using official ATT release, and waited patiently for Gingerbread. Totally disappointed.

Freezes, crashes, tethering application crashes.. . Feel like slapping the Samsung testing team for doing this lousy release. I love Android, and am will never go to iphone. But I can certainly change from Samsung to maybe HTC or LG..

I might go for factory reset.. crap. It is like thinking you won a lottery, only to find out it was a scam !!!

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

12 years ago

Factory reset cleared up my tethering force closes. However, my Captivate still freezes once a day or so. The screen stays on but never reacts to anything.

There are three "resets" on can do.  Factory reset is the first one. The third and most destructive is called "GSM Reset". The second one is in between the two. See http://capfaq.com/w/Resetting/Restoring.

If my problems persist I will try the GSM reset. I have never had to do a GSM reset but it may be time. 

I do like Gingerbread. The icons are crisper, Mail is much nicer.

Android phone definitely need work in the upgrade department. That is where the iPhone shines. 

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

12 years ago

I upgraded my Captivate from Froyo to 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) last Thursday morning, and my wife's Captivate this

morning, both without incident. The performance has improved, particularly the SWYPE keyboard, and my apps are

running smoother. No more intermittent short freeze ups or hesitation. The email interface is much nicer too.

I followed this link, http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00045584&fm_seq=46246
I also rebooted my phone just before starting the upgrade. Download the Kies mini Updater that is available through

this link,and follow the istructions to the letter, and you should have no trouble upgrading. It insinuates that it

will wipe your data, but it doesn't. All apps, contacts, settings, etc. were intact however, I still backed up

everything beforehand

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you. I have found the same to be true with Gingerbread. Nicer email interface as well as other improvements. Definitely worth it

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

12 years ago

I take back what I said about freezing. My phone frooze again this morning after about 2.5 days of uptime. GSM Reset did not fix anything. I have seen many others on other forums that have the same issue.

Will call ATT and Samsung latter today but dont expect them to do anything. Samsung has stated in the past to send the phone in, but what is one today with a phone!

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

12 years ago

I just upgraded mine from 2.1 to 2.3.3 last night. (I think it was 2.3.3, I didn't see the full version number and I've read conflicting reports about 2.3.5 being released for the Captivate). Email has crashed on me, forcing me to remove the battery. The tethering app keeps bombing as well and it's DISABLED on my phone. Boot times are slow. I'm doing a reset (vol up/vol down/power) and that process (17 minutes and going) might hopefully fix some of this. But this is bad. 2.1 wasn't perfect, but I did not have these massive problems. Pity I can't go back... Of course, I've a number of months before I qualify for a new device. Do I go Galaxy 2 or iPhone? Or another Android device, from a brand that has both a good screen and a good reputation for system updates?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.