Upgrade Captivate to Gingerbread

Highlighted
Mentor

Upgrade Captivate to Gingerbread

My captivate is running 2.2 at the present. From viewing posts, it looks like there has been a Gingerbread upgrade available, although not without problems. I wasn't notified of this one by ATT like I was with Froyo, and a mini kies program was pushed to me. Is there a 2.3 upgrade available, and would anyone recommend upgrading to it? My Froyo works flawlessly, but I understand battery usage/management and task management is better with Gingerbread.

Thanks...Joe

Message 1 of 21 (5,480 Views)
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author joehkc
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Upgrade Captivate to Gingerbread

Joe, I would definitely recommend upgrading to 2.3.5 on the Captivate. The system speed and battery life are greatly enhanced due to the improved Dalvik performance. There are really too many pro's and no con's that I know of. The only down side is that it's best to do a full factory reset both prior to updating and again after the update. That's what I always do and have 0 issues on GB.

Message 2 of 21 (5,470 Views)
Mentor

Thanks, I appreciate your quick reply

Message 3 of 21 (5,464 Views)
Master

I'm not sure whether I want to keep my FroYo 2.2 or update to Gingerbread, too. This sounds re-assuring! Thanks!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 21 (5,413 Views)
Contributor

I upgraded two Captivate phones to Gingerbread 2.3.5, from the official Samsung upgrade. One word - Horrible. I am pulling my hair for this. I had upgraded to Froyo using official ATT release, and waited patiently for Gingerbread. Totally disappointed.

Freezes, crashes, tethering application crashes.. . Feel like slapping the Samsung testing team for doing this lousy release. I love Android, and am will never go to iphone. But I can certainly change from Samsung to maybe HTC or LG..

I might go for factory reset.. crap. It is like thinking you won a lottery, only to find out it was a scam !!!

Message 5 of 21 (5,387 Views)
Mentor

Factory reset cleared up my tethering force closes. However, my Captivate still freezes once a day or so. The screen stays on but never reacts to anything.

There are three "resets" on can do.  Factory reset is the first one. The third and most destructive is called "GSM Reset". The second one is in between the two. See http://capfaq.com/w/Resetting/Restoring.

If my problems persist I will try the GSM reset. I have never had to do a GSM reset but it may be time. 

I do like Gingerbread. The icons are crisper, Mail is much nicer.

Android phone definitely need work in the upgrade department. That is where the iPhone shines. 

Message 6 of 21 (5,349 Views)
Mentor

I upgraded my Captivate from Froyo to 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) last Thursday morning, and my wife's Captivate this

morning, both without incident. The performance has improved, particularly the SWYPE keyboard, and my apps are

running smoother. No more intermittent short freeze ups or hesitation. The email interface is much nicer too.

I followed this link, http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00045584&fm_seq=46246
I also rebooted my phone just before starting the upgrade. Download the Kies mini Updater that is available through

this link,and follow the istructions to the letter, and you should have no trouble upgrading. It insinuates that it

will wipe your data, but it doesn't. All apps, contacts, settings, etc. were intact however, I still backed up

everything beforehand

Message 7 of 21 (5,252 Views)
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by topic author joehkc
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

I ended up doing a GSM Reset and that seems to have resolved the "freezes". GSM Reset is itself easy, but readding all the applications is time consuming (though easy too).

Overall 2.3.5 is much better.

• Icons are crisper
  • email client is much much better
  • you can download apps from non market sources (e.g. Amazon Market)
  • faster
  • the cut/paste/select is much better
  • I can no add line breaks in the email signature and have it work!
  • Probably lots of internal things in the OS that I dont see!

I have one issue that seems to be a bug in Gingerbread. When I play music and a notification (e.g. for email) is triggered, the media volume is muted (set to 0) and does not reset when the notification sound is over.

Message 8 of 21 (5,044 Views)
Mentor

Thank you. I have found the same to be true with Gingerbread. Nicer email interface as well as other improvements. Definitely worth it
Message 9 of 21 (5,029 Views)
Mentor

I take back what I said about freezing. My phone frooze again this morning after about 2.5 days of uptime. GSM Reset did not fix anything. I have seen many others on other forums that have the same issue.

Will call ATT and Samsung latter today but dont expect them to do anything. Samsung has stated in the past to send the phone in, but what is one today with a phone!

Message 10 of 21 (5,023 Views)
Mentor

I just upgraded mine from 2.1 to 2.3.3 last night. (I think it was 2.3.3, I didn't see the full version number and I've read conflicting reports about 2.3.5 being released for the Captivate). Email has crashed on me, forcing me to remove the battery. The tethering app keeps bombing as well and it's DISABLED on my phone. Boot times are slow. I'm doing a reset (vol up/vol down/power) and that process (17 minutes and going) might hopefully fix some of this. But this is bad. 2.1 wasn't perfect, but I did not have these massive problems. Pity I can't go back... Of course, I've a number of months before I qualify for a new device. Do I go Galaxy 2 or iPhone? Or another Android device, from a brand that has both a good screen and a good reputation for system updates?
Message 11 of 21 (4,512 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

iPhone, in my opinion, is a much better product and is somewhat dumb (could not use the i word!) proof. It will be interesting to see what iPhone 5 is. For the Android, it takes forever to get an upgrade, and then it does not work well.  I dont see many bug fix patches or security fixes either. There should be!

I called Samsung today {removed for safety} to register my frustrations with the freezes. They logged the info, said to do a factory reset, and NOT to install other apps. They said that some app may not be ready for 2.3.5. I dont  believe that and wont be doing a factory reset unless the issue gets worse.

I too am up for renewal in  a few months. I probably will give Samsung one more chance with Galaxy S 2 or an ICS version from whatever manufacturer has them available mid Summer. If the Android does not work, then it will be an iPhone in 2 years.

Google just has to take control of the process and make sure the hardware manufactures and ATT stay on top of updates. I do understand that ATT has nothing to gain by making updates available and more to gain by not doing updates. No calls to the call center when there are issues with the upgrade.

Message 12 of 21 (4,507 Views)
Master

morechof wrote:

iPhone, in my opinion, is a much better product and is somewhat dumb (could not use the i word!) proof. It will be interesting to see what iPhone 5 is. For the Android, it takes forever to get an upgrade, and then it does not work well.  I dont see many bug fix patches or security fixes either. There should be!

I called Samsung today {removed for safety} to register my frustrations with the freezes. They logged the info, said to do a factory reset, and NOT to install other apps. They said that some app may not be ready for 2.3.5. I dont  believe that and wont be doing a factory reset unless the issue gets worse.

I too am up for renewal in  a few months. I probably will give Samsung one more chance with Galaxy S 2 or an ICS version from whatever manufacturer has them available mid Summer. If the Android does not work, then it will be an iPhone in 2 years.

Google just has to take control of the process and make sure the hardware manufactures and ATT stay on top of updates. I do understand that ATT has nothing to gain by making updates available and more to gain by not doing updates. No calls to the call center when there are issues with the upgrade.

I agree. I never thought I'd actually say it, but I think I might drop both of my phones including my Android Captivate and going to a plain iPhone 4 altogether. Android is so unique and I really like it, but I'm finding more and more reasons why I should just switch to an iPhone, instead.

Message 13 of 21 (4,490 Views)
Mentor

The hard reset is done. Email worked again. I then used MyBackup Pro to reinstall apps and settings. So far so good, but if I have problems I will reinstall all apps from scratch, without the data. But post-reboot email still works fine. My next phone might be an iPhone 5. Or maybe not; once I get used to the differences in Android, it'll get easier. And the iPhone's big downfall is that it won't download in the background (unless iOS5 fixes that...)
Message 14 of 21 (4,486 Views)
Master

A couple things I would miss about Android if I made the switch is Adobe Flash support and live wallpapers. Other than that, there's really not much of a difference.

Message 15 of 21 (4,483 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.