The Samsung Galaxy S24
12Chris34's profile

Scholar

• 

194 Messages

Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 5:11 AM

Update fix for AT&Ts latest update

I got a Software Update Available text a few times the past month for my Samsung Galaxy SII. After reading the horrendous reviews here of it causing crashes, freezes, and general havoc, I did NOT want that 'update'. This morning, when I had some critical work to do and the battery was in the yellow zone, it gave me no choice...it installed itself.

Sho nuff, for the first time in over a year I've had this phone, it's wreaklng havoc. I fully charge the battery and three hours later - with no phone calls, no bluetooth, no WiFi, it won't turn on. Then I take the battery out for a minute and sometimes it'll come back on. Then two hours later it say "battery critically low..." This absurd. We're forced by our own providers to install malevolent software?!

So I went to the AT&T store and one rep told me it's google's thing and to wait for the AT&T to put out the fix. Another rep told me a few seconds later that I can do a search for it and there's some kinds code like ##* or sumpthin to "force" it to install. Any clues about this here?

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

What version was foisted upon you? Mine was 4.0.4 and not only did my battery life suffer, but I was also experiencing the "sleep of death" about once a day, and some days more. I finally took it back to an AT&T Device Center and had them put 4.0.3 back on. It has its share of problems, but functioning as a phone is thankfully NOT one of them!

Scholar

• 

194 Messages

11 years ago

So what Device center did you take it to? When I went to the AT&T store, they didn't offer to roll it back. Is there any other ways to go back to the previous version. I have critical notifications set on this phone - and I can't rely on it now.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

It's not an actual store. You have to ask where your nearest "Device Center" is located. In my case, it was only 15 miles away. The store can't do any phone flashing.

Scholar

• 

194 Messages

11 years ago

This is unbeleivable that at&t just lets this slide. Why isn't it making national headlines like Apples update did? So I went to te at&t store again and the same rep told me that I could either do a factory data reset and that would revert to 4.0.3 (forums all over the Internet say that's not true), or do an online search for 4.0.5 and said that there's a "code, like *## to force it to install". Looks like it is available, or at least listed, but the links go nowhere. This is gettin really bizarre.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@12Chris34 wrote:

So I went to te at&t store again and the same rep told me that I could either do a factory data reset and that would revert to 4.0.3 (forums all over the Internet say that's not true), or do an online search for 4.0.5 and said that there's a "code, like *## to force it to install". Looks like it is available, or at least listed, but the links go nowhere. This is gettin really bizarre.

Factory reset does NOT roll back firmware.  What the rep told you is false, and they are likely ill-informed.  "Factory reset" is  a bit of a misnomer, as all it does is delete the user data partition, returning the currently installed firmware to a "blank slate" condition.  It cannot return you to a previous firmware, which is typically not allowed in Android without root.

Scholar

• 

85 Messages

11 years ago

Once again the nonsense of an "upgrade" corrupted the software (operating system)  and you will never get it to work right unless you back-up your data to a laptop, wipe the phone's drive, & put a clean install of jellybean or whatever.  Or you can wait for patches and more nonsense while paying for an expensive paperweight. Its the same ole story........over and over.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.