Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 27, 2013
7:08:00 AM
Unlocking Your Phone Is Now Illegal

What is this contry coming to.  If you own the phone or contract is out, it should be yours to do what you want with it. Read Article

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/26/unlocking-your-phone-is-now-illegal-but-what-does-that-mean-for-you...

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/now-illegal-unlock-cellphone/story?id=18319518

What is this contry coming to.  If you own the phone or contract is out, it should be yours to do what you want with it. Read Article

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/26/unlocking-your-phone-is-now-illegal-but-what-does-that-mean-for-you/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/now-illegal-unlock-cellphone/story?id=18319518

Unlocking Your Phone Is Now Illegal

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2013 10:35:32 AM
(0)
Employee

When your contract is out and you own the phone AT&T will gladly unlock it for you.

d.

When your contract is out and you own the phone AT&T will gladly unlock it for you.

d.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Unlocking Your Phone Is Now Illegal

2 of 18 (4,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2013 5:19:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
What about when I go to another country and need to put a local sim card? I don't want to pay att 120 dollars for data that'd crazy. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7 sign this everyone
What about when I go to another country and need to put a local sim card? I don't want to pay att 120 dollars for data that'd crazy. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7 sign this everyone

3 of 18 (4,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 4:30:50 AM
(0)
Professor

Your other option is to pay full price for an unsubsidized, unlocked phone.

Your other option is to pay full price for an unsubsidized, unlocked phone.

4 of 18 (4,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 5:36:22 AM
(0)
Guru

In my case, this ridiculous law is the final factor that has convinced me to only buy Nexus phones from now on. Aside from the fact that carriers incessantly meddle in firmware updates, they now want to tell us how we can and cannot use our phones. Pardon me, but I thought we became owners of the phones when we bought them?

In my case, this ridiculous law is the final factor that has convinced me to only buy Nexus phones from now on. Aside from the fact that carriers incessantly meddle in firmware updates, they now want to tell us how we can and cannot use our phones. Pardon me, but I thought we became owners of the phones when we bought them?

5 of 18 (4,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 5:37:25 AM
(0)
Guru

drumn_bass wrote:

d.

Am I correct in understanding that we don't own the phone until the contract is out?

drumn_bass wrote:

d.

Am I correct in understanding that we don't own the phone until the contract is out?

6 of 18 (4,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 6:18:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:23:52 AM

Be aware that the law only applies to devices purchased from your carrier AFTER the 1/26/13 deadline.  Any devices purchased before this date are still perfectly okay to SIM unlock.

Obviously a law created by politicians who have no understanding of technology (remember the guy who said the Internet is a "series of tubes"?), and just bending to the wills of the corporate lobbyists.  Why is the Library of Congress setting rules for telecommunications anyway???  Media like DVDs I can somewhat understand.  But a smartphone is not a form of media.  Next, the Library of Congress will tell me I can't change the oil in my car, or get it changed anyplace but the original dealer, since that would also be "reverse engineering", and cars have computers in them, too.

Be aware that the law only applies to devices purchased from your carrier AFTER the 1/26/13 deadline.  Any devices purchased before this date are still perfectly okay to SIM unlock.

Obviously a law created by politicians who have no understanding of technology (remember the guy who said the Internet is a "series of tubes"?), and just bending to the wills of the corporate lobbyists.  Why is the Library of Congress setting rules for telecommunications anyway???  Media like DVDs I can somewhat understand.  But a smartphone is not a form of media.  Next, the Library of Congress will tell me I can't change the oil in my car, or get it changed anyplace but the original dealer, since that would also be "reverse engineering", and cars have computers in them, too.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
7 of 18 (4,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 6:22:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mendomar012 wrote:
What about when I go to another country and need to put a local sim card?

You can call AT&T and tell them the situation.  They may/may not give you the code, depending on whether your device is within the "exclusivity" period (up to 10 months after the phone's release).  You also need to be a post-paid account holder in good standing for at least 90 days.

It doesn't hurt to at least try.  Then if they don't give you the code, you may need to seek alternate means (borrow an unlocked phone, purchase a cheap unlocked phone, use an old backup phone, etc.).

mendomar012 wrote:
What about when I go to another country and need to put a local sim card?

You can call AT&T and tell them the situation.  They may/may not give you the code, depending on whether your device is within the "exclusivity" period (up to 10 months after the phone's release).  You also need to be a post-paid account holder in good standing for at least 90 days.

It doesn't hurt to at least try.  Then if they don't give you the code, you may need to seek alternate means (borrow an unlocked phone, purchase a cheap unlocked phone, use an old backup phone, etc.).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 18 (4,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 7:43:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
89.99×24
=2159.76 <---- so after paying this much to att for two years they can't just let the phone be unlocked.
89.99×24
=2159.76 <---- so after paying this much to att for two years they can't just let the phone be unlocked.

9 of 18 (4,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 8:38:03 AM
(0)
Guru

redpoint73 wrote:

There are other "alternative" means, as well. :smileywink:

redpoint73 wrote:

There are other "alternative" means, as well. :smileywink:

10 of 18 (4,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 11:43:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

drumn_bass wrote:

d.

AT&T still throws too many rules/obstacles up even in this case.  They claim exclusivity on phones and won't unlock them, even if you purchase at the no-commitment price.  They also mark phones as "exclusive" that were released on other carriers.  How the Samsung Galaxy S III was exclusive is beyond me.  Everyone brought out the dictionaries to define "unlimited" when data plans were throttled; maybe I need to bring out the dictionary for the word "exclusive".

drumn_bass wrote:

d.

AT&T still throws too many rules/obstacles up even in this case.  They claim exclusivity on phones and won't unlock them, even if you purchase at the no-commitment price.  They also mark phones as "exclusive" that were released on other carriers.  How the Samsung Galaxy S III was exclusive is beyond me.  Everyone brought out the dictionaries to define "unlimited" when data plans were throttled; maybe I need to bring out the dictionary for the word "exclusive".

11 of 18 (4,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 2:41:43 PM
(0)
Guru
I am still curious about the implication that we don't own the phone until we complete the contractual term. I'd like to see where this is stated in the contract.
I am still curious about the implication that we don't own the phone until we complete the contractual term. I'd like to see where this is stated in the contract.

12 of 18 (4,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 7:24:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kgbkny wrote:

I too am skeptical of that particular comment.  Its not like AT&T is going to reposses your phone, if you break your contract.  Subsidizing new phones is just a way to get you to sign-up, or re-commit (basically a sign-up discount).  Don't think it means they still own the phone.  But if somebody has any definitive evidence otherwise, I'd be interested to see.

kgbkny wrote:

I too am skeptical of that particular comment.  Its not like AT&T is going to reposses your phone, if you break your contract.  Subsidizing new phones is just a way to get you to sign-up, or re-commit (basically a sign-up discount).  Don't think it means they still own the phone.  But if somebody has any definitive evidence otherwise, I'd be interested to see.

13 of 18 (4,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 7:35:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

21stNow wrote:

How the Samsung Galaxy S III was exclusive is beyond me. 

Yeah, that one completely blew my mind.

21stNow wrote:

How the Samsung Galaxy S III was exclusive is beyond me. 

Yeah, that one completely blew my mind.

14 of 18 (4,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2013 9:25:09 AM
(0)
Guru

redpoint73 wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

I am not buying it at all. A writer on one of the Android blogs suggested the same thing - we don't own the phone until we fulfill the contract. If this is the case, I'd love to see where exactly this is stated. Moreover, if a subscriber elects to cancel his/her contract early, he/she pays an ETF. The phone remains the subscriber's property.

For instance, when you finance a car, the loan issuer is clearly listed as the lienholder on the title. After the final payment is made, the lienholder issues a lien release notice to the owner. No such documents are issued for subsidized phones upon fulfilling the contract.

redpoint73 wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

I am not buying it at all. A writer on one of the Android blogs suggested the same thing - we don't own the phone until we fulfill the contract. If this is the case, I'd love to see where exactly this is stated. Moreover, if a subscriber elects to cancel his/her contract early, he/she pays an ETF. The phone remains the subscriber's property.

For instance, when you finance a car, the loan issuer is clearly listed as the lienholder on the title. After the final payment is made, the lienholder issues a lien release notice to the owner. No such documents are issued for subsidized phones upon fulfilling the contract.

15 of 18 (4,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2013 8:04:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

Actually, I still even question the ability to enforce this law on phones even after the 26th of January...at least for LTE phones.  It is my understanding that the FCC passed regulations that prohibit this on the 700 Mhz spectrum and therefore, in theory, the phone can be unlocked how you choose.

I agree about the hardware vs media.  This is nothing more than an attempt by AT&T (and any other major player) to prohibit competition and therefore keep the possibility of losing subscribers at a minimum.  Just goes to show how it is not the people (via those who they elect) that run the country, it is the big corporations

redpoint73 wrote:

Actually, I still even question the ability to enforce this law on phones even after the 26th of January...at least for LTE phones.  It is my understanding that the FCC passed regulations that prohibit this on the 700 Mhz spectrum and therefore, in theory, the phone can be unlocked how you choose.

I agree about the hardware vs media.  This is nothing more than an attempt by AT&T (and any other major player) to prohibit competition and therefore keep the possibility of losing subscribers at a minimum.  Just goes to show how it is not the people (via those who they elect) that run the country, it is the big corporations

16 of 18 (3,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2013 8:05:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

17 of 18 (3,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2013 7:59:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

aybarrap1 wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

As far as I know, the FCC regulations were only on the section of the 700MHz spectrum that Verizon Wireless purchased; AT&T Mobility is not affected by the ruling.

aybarrap1 wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

As far as I know, the FCC regulations were only on the section of the 700MHz spectrum that Verizon Wireless purchased; AT&T Mobility is not affected by the ruling.

18 of 18 (3,587 Views)