The Samsung Galaxy S24
uberturfer's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, January 2nd, 2017 2:51 PM

Unlocked android phone AT&T bloatware removal?

I have a android phone that used to be AT&T, but after using at&t for the amount of time needed to unlock the sim I requested and unlocked the sim card for another carrier. The phone works fine, but I need to remove all the AT&T software that came with the phone, and it has no root access.Please help me with this. Im running EMUI version 4.1 and android version 6.0.1. Thank you

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

The only way to remove the bloatware is to root the device. No one here will help you with that as discussion of (Edited per community guidelines) phones is not allowed on this forum.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

As I said, there is no AT&T Contacts app. AT&T Address Book is a different app that's been shut down, so you can disable it. Go to Settings, Apps, tap the menu (three dots on the upper right), select "show system apps," find AT&T Address Book and hit Disable.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

7 years ago

I second that.   If your phone is running Marshmallow, it is unlikely you can root without bricking the phone.  Most manufacturers signed the boots with the lollipop update.  

If you don't want carrier software, don't buy a branded phone (says the ATT customer with a. Existing 6p, 2 Moto pure edition and a Google Pixel on her account).  

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I wasn't asking how to root the device, I was asking how to remove
bloatware WITHOUT a rooted device. Thats what I wrote in my question.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

7 years ago

Can't do one without the other.   All software is built onto the device by the manufacturer, including any software modified to show ATT brand.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Me too.  I bought unlocked att phone on eBay and I'm using it on metro but att apps still running it and been trying to get rid of them.. any help is appreciated

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

There is an app you can use to disable the apps. It's called Package Disabler Pro. You have to buy it and then install it on your computer. Then from the computer you can disable the apps. I haven't done it yet, but I have the app.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

6 years ago

There are two partitions in the internal memory area. All the bloatware are in the system partition which cannot be removed without rooting. Some bloatware can be disabled even without any third party app. Not sure the third party app can do any better. Regardless, whether the bloatware can be disable or not, you are not going to gain any space in the other partition that is for installed apps and data storage.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

@tim horton

Heres the way I see it...

1.   Either you are knowledgeable about software, rooting and disabling apps, etc. and you don’t need to ask.

2.  Or you’re not.  

Just asking here means you don’t know enough to even think about it.  Carrier forums forbid rooting discussions.  Manufacturers are doing a better job all the time of encrypting the bootloaders.  If you don’t want carrier bloat, don’t buy a carrier phone.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40

@tim horton

Thank you both for your comments!

I'm not sure if I should start another thread, but this is related to this thread... I don't want to root my phone (a Samsung S7 Edge). 

I want space!!

I am having a horrible time, because AT&T bloatware has left me with only 4GB of space on a 32GB hd. That is unbelievable to me. And the apps are really not useful at all. I see no meaning in half of them. The only thing they do is irritate people, so I don't see why companies which should be worrying about customer satisfaction still do this kind of thing. 

Anyway, back to the point.

I am getting the infamous "Storage space running out" message, and am unable to install apps. I don't know what to do. 

I've searched to forums, and they say to:

1. Transfer apps to an SD card ( I have, but as you probably know, apps leave a lot of data on the HD for functional purposes).

2. Clean out the cache for each app (I did).

3. Do the three-button restart (Volume down, Power and Home) and then do a Cache wipe.

I have about 50mbs left over. 

I am wondering whether I am going to have to do a Factory Reset to get rid of unknown cache taking up valuable space. 

If possible, I just want to get rid of a bunch of apps I don't need that I didn't download myself taking up 28gbs of space that were so sweetly gifted to me by AT&T and Samsung.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.