Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlocked AT&T note 9 not upgrading to pie

Highlighted

Unlocked AT&T note 9 not upgrading to pie

I have a note 9 that is an unlocked AT&T model, currently on T-Mobile, I cannot yet to thing to update to android pie, and my security updates also seemed to be out of date. Does the phone need to be on AT&T to get updates?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by dmapr
‎03-13-2019 5:26 AM

Re: Unlocked AT&T note 9 not upgrading to pie

Yes, you have to use AT&T service to get updates

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Last week, my friend in America gave me an unlocked note 9 from AT&T carrier. Now I'm using it in Vietnam and I've tried to upgrade Android Pie so that I can experience One UI like other users but I can't do this. 

For this reason, I heard that only when I buy an AT&T simcard and use its services, I'll be able to upgrade the latest version. But that's too funny for me if I must book a ticket and fly to the USA, then buy an AT&T simcard, upgrade my phone and go home (Vietnam) later.

How do you think about this???

So I can't look for the other ways or nobody can help me solve this trouble more easily ??????

Please help me. Thanks a lot.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

@michael201190 unfortunately nobody can help you Smiley Sad. AT&T doesn't care about people who don't use AT&T services, the devices they sell are intended for use on AT&T network only and therefore they're free to impose any restrictions they want on software update.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5

Re: Unlocked AT

Unfortunately, the only way to do it is with an AT&T SIM card. I spent
hours on the phone with both AT&T and T-Mobile and was unable to do it. An
unlocked AT&T phone will not do any updates, including the security updates
without an AT&T SIM card.

I put a friends AT&T SIM card in my phone, and within 30 minutes I had all
the updates done
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support