Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unable to unlock Samsung Note 4 after ETF paid off

Tutor

Unable to unlock Samsung Note 4 after ETF paid off

Since I was switching to another mobile carrier, I paid the early termination fee on my Samsung Note 4 after I was informed by the AT&T customer service rep that I could unlock the phone if ETF was paid. It has been over two weeks now since that happened. No luck with the AT&T online unlock request which still keeps giving me this message when I am on the unlock request page "This device isn’t eligible to be unlocked now because it’s recently been upgraded. You can submit a new request 14 days after the last upgrade." I have made calls to AT&T customer service and they had no idea how to handle this issue..Any suggestions??

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Sage

Re: Unable to unlock Samsung Note 4 after ETF paid off

Did you port your number, or just get a new one?  If you did not port your number, is someone using it?  

Are you requesting as a non customer?

Did you pay your final bill yet?   

When you left ATT, you should have received a final bill with ETF.  Once paid, your phone can be unlocked as a non customer.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Professor

Hi @GeorgeDz,

Some of the questions @lizdance40 need to be answered. But another question is, did you recently upgrade a phone on that line? That error usually means the phone number you're entering is an active AT&T phone number that is in the buyer's remorse period for a recent upgrade.

I would also consider waiting until your bill cycles. How did you pay the ETF? Over the phone with a rep? I've seen the billing system be a pain in those situations and not allow the unlock until after the next bill (following the call with support) cycles and that bill is paid in full (including the ETF already paid on the phone).

Please give us some more details and we'll get you headed in the right direction.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Message 3 of 7
Tutor

In reply to your questions @lizdance40 I ported the number to Tmobile and paid the ETF on the same day that I switched service. Yes, I tried to submit my request as a non-customer. Per the automated bill info, my account balance is paid in full/ current. 

@jt212s, the ETF was paid over the phone with a customer service rep. The rep submitted an unlock request for me on the same day, and I received an email with the denial a few days later with the "recent upgrade" reason as mentioned above. Now, after 14 days, when I enter my IMEI # for the online unlock request I get the same message and I'm not able to even submit a new request. 

Message 4 of 7
Professor

@GeorgeDz

I feel like you're going to have to wait until your "final" bill that actually shows the ETF on it and being paid has generated. Although, I don't feel as though you should have to.

In this situation, it looks like you've done everything you possibly can. I recommend reaching out to @ATTMobilityCare (click the username to open a pre-addressed private message) and providing them with your contact info, a good time of day to call you, and what's going on. It may take a few days to hear from them, but they do a good job at getting tough situations taken care of.

The unlock system seems to get confused around the time ETFs are paid off. From past experience, until the ETF is physically shown on a bill and that bill is shown paid (even though you paid it over the phone) for a few days, it just won't work without manual intervention from the likes of the forum team, etc.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Message 5 of 7
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎03-01-2017 9:05 AM

@GeorgeDz   It's been our experience that until the final bill is paid, the ETF is not recorded as paid, and ATT policy of "all financial responsibilities being complete" include final bills.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
Tutor

Just an update...

Finally got the phone unlocked today after few back n forth messages with customer care over the last two weeks. It took some time, but I'm glad it worked out. 

Thanks for above suggestions!

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support