For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
RockStar2005's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Friday, October 12th, 2018 1:44 AM

U.S. Sony Xperia XZ3 & VoLTE on AT&T??

I was just wondering...........will Sony phones like the upcoming Xperia XZ3 (U.S. version, release date: 10/17/2018) be able to access ALL of AT&T's network radio bands without VoLTE certification? I know T-Mobile doesn't allow access to their 700 MHz spectrum (aka Band 12) without VoLTE certification, but does AT&T require the same thing? Or will users get FULL access, just no VoLTE?? Also, does AT&T actually require VoLTE certification??

Thank You

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

It will work on att.  No volte because Sony does not have a clue how to work with is carriers.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you.................

Yeah. All they DO seem to know is how to make great phones! But their executive and marketing teams have the combined intelligence of a sea turtle. lol 

I do know it will work (to at least some extent), but I have to re-confirm..........are you 100% sure it will have access to ALL of the AT&T radio bands (including 600 & 700 MHz radio bands) even without VoLTE certification? (AKA, just like a regular locked AT&T phone would ((aside from having VoLTE of course))). 

I appreciate the response! 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@RockStar2005 wrote:

Thank you.................

Yeah. All they DO seem to know is how to make great phones! But their executive and marketing teams have the combined intelligence of a sea turtle. lol 

I do know it will work (to at least some extent), but I have to re-confirm..........are you 100% sure it will have access to ALL of the AT&T radio bands (including 600 & 700 MHz radio bands) even without VoLTE certification? (AKA, just like a regular locked AT&T phone would ((aside from having VoLTE of course))). 

I appreciate the response! 

@RockStar2005

Here is the rub since sony does not release white papers I cant find the LTE bands this phone supports.  After I started reading this is a XZ2 with a OLED screen other than that sony changed nothing but is charging 900+ for the phone.  They are nuts...  https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/24/sony-xperia-xz3-review/

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

To me it seems like it's worth it though, but I dunno. Plus if you buy the black color on Amazon, you pre-order a free pair of $299 Xperia Ear Duo earphones as well! lol 

I guess I'm just shocked b/c this site doesn't have any information about really any recent Xperia flagships having VoLTE (and therefore access to Band 12/700 MHz). So you've tested your phone out using some kind of app to confirm that it can ACTUALLY access T-Mobile's Band 12 spectrum?? And I assume it stays on 4G LTE during calls too? (Please kindly answer both questions.) 

That's fine about the missing white papers as I found info on what bands it has on my own (see link coming). Even if all this is true, what sux is the XZ3 (all versions) apparently DOESN'T have Band 71/600 MHz (under 4G LTE) spectrum programmed on it, regardless of version. And according to a recent update from T-Mobile, my area (Chicagoland region) is about to get that exact radio band by like the end of the year. Uggh.........f'ing Sony Mobile! lol

In this other thread I started on XDA, this guy basically confirmed that he gets VoLTE during calls with his UK/int'l XZ3 (aka, T-Mobile has VoLTE, as does AT&T apparently as well for Xperias). I'd STILL prefer a screenshot confirmation that Band 12 comes through DURING calls as well, though that would take knowing what areas use Band 12, which only gets utilized when 2 & 4 aren't. 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

So...........even though it won't have Band 71/600 MHz when released, I decided to STILL go ahead and pre-order the U.S. XZ3 off Amazon (release date: next Wed) JUST to confirm for myself what the guy on XDA said................that with the U.S. firmware, the XZ3 DOES get VoLTE on T-Mobile and therefore will STAY in Band 12 & 4G LTE/LTE+ while on a call as well!!!! lol If I can confirm this, that is HUGE. HUGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEE!!!! lol 

I will of course keep you posted. In the elevator for my condo building b/c the reception is bad there, my phone always at one point switches to Band 12..........and THAT is when I'll strike! When my LTE Discovery app detects Band 12 being utilized (a setting I enable in the app to catch that), I will make a call right away, and if it stays in 4G LTE (vs. 4G), then it's confirmed. If not, F U Sony Mobile!!!!!! F U and die! lol Then for XZ4 or XZ3 Premium, as long as they add Band 71/600 MHz (which my area will get activated on T-Mobile's network by about the end of this year), I'm 99.9% buying it. lol 

I'll keep you posted. I know this is now for T-Mobile not AT&T, but I think if it works for T-Mobile then there's a strong chance it will too on AT&T since the XDA guy said he put his co-worker's AT&T SIM card in the XDA guy's XZ3 (UK version which got flashed with U.S. firmware) and it SHOWED VoLTE as an option to be enabled in the settings! So, we'll see. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@RockStar2005

Um....  no.   Pipe dream dude.  

The IMEI will exclude anything from Sony from VoLTE and other advanced calling on AT&T.  There is no ATT firmware to be flashed 🙄.  

“Add band 71”... that’s hardware.   Only a US version will include all hardware config for US carriers.  

T Mobile has their own forum, so ? 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Yeah I could careless what TMobile has.  Att does not restrict band 12 LTE.   Just because there was a setting on the phone for volte does not mean it works.  I don't test Sony phones so I don't have a test unit.  But I can confirm the pixel 3 gets volte.   Att is more restrictive with what phones will work on each carrier.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Ok then why did the guy say when he put his co-worker's AT&T SIM card in that VoLTE became available as an option? It makes no sense that it would not be grayed out and/or not listed at all. I mean, I can't think of one example where that's the case. But if you can please let me know. 

Obviously you don't care what T-Mobile has, but I am including info for both in case perhaps someone reading this thread might want the Xperia AND it (perhaps) turns out that T-Mobile at least offers it now if AT&T doesn't. 

Well that IS helpful to know that AT&T doesn't restrict Band 12 the way T-Mobile does for those phones w/o VoLTE. Thank you for sharing that! I always wondered that myself. 

Well if they don't restrict phones that don't have VoLTE from accessing Band 12, then that seems less restrictive actually. 

Band 61? I believe you meant Band 71..........ok that's fine that it's hardware. I wasn't implying the XZ3 would get it through a firmware update (I wish). What I did say was I hoped the 2019 Xperias got it programmed though into their hardware. This would ALSO AFFECT AT&T as well b/c then assuming AT&T has Band 71 or gets it sometime next year, then any AT&T customers buying say the XZ4 or XZ3 Premium next year would also have it. 

If I can get my contact at XDA to confirm AT&T VoLTE on the XZ3, I'll post back here for anyone interested. All he has to do is make a call on the XZ3 and take a screenshot confirming that the phone STAYS in 4G LTE/LTE+ (same thing) during the call, and that would be all the proof we'd need. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

T-mo bought that spectrum.   AT&T doesn’t have 71 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Ok. But does T-Mobile own all of it though? I read somewhere T-Mobile bought it from AT&T, but I thought that was just for the Chicago area (where I live). 

I would hope that if not that AT&T would continue to invest in low bandwidth spectrum as well in order to remain competitive. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.