The Samsung Galaxy S24
j2montvilas's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 11:13 PM

Closed

Too many pattern attempts - Samsung Captivate

I just purchased my Samsung Captivate.  I had too many pattern attempts and am not locked out of my phone.  It asks for my google email id and password.  However, I did not sync that up as that is not my primary e-mail.  I tried the fix that seems to work for most which is to enter my email id and the password "null".  Though, that still doesn't work. I went back to the ATT store to get their help and all they did was google help on the product and to no avail..Nothing worked.  Is there a fix for this?  Everything I find does not have anything to help me at the point I am at.  No fix is working for.  I am ok with doing a full-blown reset as I have only had the phone 1 day and I can reinstall from my previous device.  This is frustrating because my other choice was an iphone which the salesperson told me was reliable but the Captivate had more features and was a better quality product.  What he failed to tell me and this is not an unknown issue..That the "too many pattern attempts" happens all the time and has been an issue with android phones for 2 years.  

Is my only recourse to return the phone or be stuck with an expensive phone that I can't unlock to use?

I am so frustrated to tears as this is the only phone I use.  😞

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

14 years ago

Here's info on how to do a hard reset.

forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Soft-Reset-Samsung-Captivate/m-p/1995747/highlight/true#M81732

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

That Youtube shows how to reset once you have unlocked the phone. As the person wrote, the phone will no UNLOCK.

THese looks like a known bug in the Andriod OS since at least 1.5. There are some suggestions on the web, but so far I have not been able to get them any of them work. I will be returning the phone tomorrow

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

ATT is ZERO help with this. Unless you are within 30 days, they will not even exchange under warranty. They send you home with Samsungs corporate number. I finally found out how to do a factory reset. Power off, then power on holding BOTH the volume up and volume down buttons. You will get a boot menu. Choose delete all user data. It will ask you to confirm. Choose yes, then choose reboot. Your phone will be just like it was out of the box. Hopefully your contacts are either backed up to the computer or the sim card. Hope this helps someone in the future. I have spent the last 24 hours looking for this fix.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I thought I had hit the gold mine when YOURS is the only solution on the net that let me actually reboot the phone.  However, after I erased all user data and then restarted, it still comes up with the Too Many Pattern Attempts! lockout screen.  Ideas?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Have you ever tried inputting the gmail address password? It was used to setup the device in the first place.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Power off, then power on holding BOTH the volume up and volume down buttons. You will get a boot menu. Choose delete all user data. Then delete user cache. It will ask you to confirm. Choose yes, then choose reboot.

Too much time wasted on this, but this resolves the issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

i have the same problem please could you tell me how to unlock my phone without loosing my data ?

Scholar

• 

123 Messages

12 years ago

Sounds like you need to make sure your phone can talk to the internet (i.e. it's either on a wifi or has 3G on already) and make sure your Google account doesn't have that 2-step verification turned on. You can google around for more information. I read some techniques that try to let you get to turning on your data if it's not already on by having people call you and then going to memo but I just tried it and it didn't work for me. But my phone isn't in the deadlocked phase either.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Android has been having problems with patterns on phones. Hopefully Google van get this fixed.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks a lot my Samsung at&t got lock up since Sunday and have try all that i have known but no way out, but after i have visited this site and saw ur post, as i have got through ur step my phone got open.

[edited for privacy]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.