The Samsung Galaxy S24
dragon672's profile

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:54 PM

Thinking about an Android phone

Greetings

I am torn between getting an android phone or an iphone.  I currently have a QMD and I'm looking to upgrade.  I like the iphone mostly because you can buy the itunes card and I don't have to use my credit card to purchase games.

With Android phones how do you pay for the games you purchase?  I would also kind of like to save money and not have to buy a new car charger because I've purchased a new phone.  My phone currently uses the mini usb charger.  I'm assuming all the new Android phones use this.  I don't really care about the 4g stuff because I don't even have 3g yet but I need a phone that picks up good b/c I live in a rural area and I know the iphone picks up good.

I'm also sort of leaning toward the android because they seem to be less expensive than the iphone.  Thanks for anyone that answers my questions or comments.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

Dragon672, based on your answers, I would recommend an Android phone for you.  I think you could be happy with either phone, but since you wouldn't benefit from the Apple integration with your Mac, you don't already use iTunes and you don't mind customizing your phone, I think that you would like what an Android phone has to offer.  I prefer HTC to Motorola, but you seem to like Motorola, so it's up to you on the Inspire 4G or the Atrix.

I usually pay for apps with the credit card that I have saved in Google checkout.  Google checkout has helped me in shopping on other websites, too, so it's been beneficial for me to use it this way.  My Android phone is on a different carrier.  If the app is priced in US dollars, I have the option to add it to my carrier's bill.  I'm not sure if at&t offers the option, though.  The thing is that most of the apps that I bought were not priced in US dollars.  However, the vast majority of my apps have been free!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

Some android phones use the mini-usb for the charger port. Most though use the international standard of a micro-usb port. The iPhone use a proprietary charger port.

You do need a Google account to use the Gapps on an android phone. The Android Market, Talk, and Gmail are some examples.

There are many games for free on the Android Market. You don't need a credit card saved in Google Checkout to install the free applications. You will need one if you purchase any application. I think you can use a prepaid credit card or have it billed to your ATT account. Pay-Pal might also be an option.

Which of the Android phones are you looking at purchasing?

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

13 years ago

HTC Inspire or the Motorola..Arix I think is its name. I have a Motorola phone right now and it gets pretty service so I know it'll pick up good. I like the fact they are both $99 and might not be outdated in 2 years.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

In reading what you've shared so far, the iPhone has one pro, which is being able to use an iTunes gift card for purchases.  An Android phone has one pro, which is potentially being cheaper.

I have more questions for you. 

Do you currently own a Mac computer? 

Do you already have an iPod Touch?

Are you comfortable with using iTunes to back-up your phone and get updates? 

Do/Would you like playing with your phone to customize it or do you prefer for it to just be ready to go out of the box? 

What is your comfort level with charging your phone?  Is daily too much?

Other than games, what are you looking to do on your future phone that you can't do now?

I use both an iPhone and an Android phone on a daily basis.  I don't blindly recommend one over the other.  But after talking to people, I can usually pick one that I think will work for them.  So far, most of the people that I have made recommendations to are happy.  But my offer to help doesn't guarantee happiness, of course! Smiley Wink

Edit to add:  I think all phones will be outdated in 2 years, but this is coming from a phone addict.

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

13 years ago

How do you pay for apps on the Android market?

@21stNow wrote:

In reading what you've shared so far, the iPhone has one pro, which is being able to use an iTunes gift card for purchases.  An Android phone has one pro, which is potentially being cheaper.

I have more questions for you. 

Do you currently own a Mac computer? 

NO

Do you already have an iPod Touch?

NO

Are you comfortable with using iTunes to back-up your phone and get updates?

Never used it

Do/Would you like playing with your phone to customize it or do you prefer for it to just be ready to go out of the box? 

I think I'd like to kind of play with with the phone.  I still have a pocket pc and played with it quite a bit/

What is your comfort level with charging your phone?  Is daily too much?

I already charge my phone daily.

Other than games, what are you looking to do on your future phone that you can't do now?  I want to be able to use some of those cool apps. Smiley Wink

I use both an iPhone and an Android phone on a daily basis.  I don't blindly recommend one over the other.  But after talking to people, I can usually pick one that I think will work for them.  So far, most of the people that I have made recommendations to are happy.  But my offer to help doesn't guarantee happiness, of course! Smiley Wink

Edit to add:  I think all phones will be outdated in 2 years, but this is coming from a phone addict.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

The Apple App Store and Android's Android Market are pretty much the same thing when it comes to apps. But the App Store (for iPhone) does have a more wide array to choose from, and some apps are specific to Apple devices that the Android Market does not offer.

To me, it sounds like the iPhone and an Android phone are both for you. If you've never used iTunes, I have an iPod touch and when I had to set it up using iTunes, I hated it. It was difficult and it kept re-routing me so that I had to do things over and over and over again multiple times. It could be that I wasn't doing something right, but I'm pretty darn sure I had all the steps complete and it still would not work very well. When I got my Android phone, everything was simple and easy to use. All I had to do was create a Google e-mail account and I was good to go. I have to give credit to Ann154 for helping me out with my own personal Android phone - I couldn't have "mastered" it without her. 😉

Android is completely user-friendly. It's so simple to customize your phone without rooting it, (unless you want it COMPLETELY personal) whereas the iPhone, you would have to jailbreak it to have animated backgrounds, I believe.

Another thing I dislike about the iPhone is that you have to constantly update it to the latest OS (iOS) to have it working in the best possible shape. Android phones should be updated periodically too, but iPhones seem to be updated much more frequently, which I personally think can be a pain. One thing I really like about the iPhone (assuming that it's the same on my iPod touch) is the web browser, (Safari) the keyboard, and the features it has like copy/paste/saving images to your gallery, those sorts of things. All at the touch of a button. The iPhone has almost any Android phone beat browser-wise, I would have to say.

Both the iPhone and Android have a lot to offer, and it definitely is a difficult decision. I think you will like either, as you near the end of reading this rather lengthy post. 😛 Props to 21stNow for making such a good and deal-breaking survey!

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

I forgot to mention that Android also has more keyboard choices than iOS offers.  Since you are coming from a QMD, I assume that you have a physical keyboard now.  Some people make the transition to a virtual keyboard easily.  For others, there are many choices in the Android Market that can make onscreen typing easier.

I don't know if this is a concern for you because I forgot to ask.  I need to add this to my survey.  However, since none of the phones that you mentioned have a physical keyboard, it may not be that big of a deal to you.  I have to check to see if at&t even offers an Android phone with a physical keyboard, other than the HTC Status.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

The Pantech Crossover and the Motorola Flipside (if you can find it). Both are mid-range to lower phones then either the Inspire or the Atrix.

@21stNow
How's your HTC Sensation?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

I'm loving the Sensation, Ann!  I haven't switched back to the Nexus S since I got this particular Sensation (long story) about a month ago.  I will be happy with this phone at least until the Nexus 3/Prime comes out, and maybe even after that! Smiley Very Happy

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

13 years ago

I just went and purchased the Motorola Atrix at the At&T store.  So far the only thing I know how to do is to make calls and check texts.  The agent gave me a list of apps to download and I've got to figure out how to connect to wifi and not use the data connection and how to fix my ringtones but so far its all good I think.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.