Thinking about an Android phone

Scholar

Thinking about an Android phone

Greetings

I am torn between getting an android phone or an iphone.  I currently have a QMD and I'm looking to upgrade.  I like the iphone mostly because you can buy the itunes card and I don't have to use my credit card to purchase games.

With Android phones how do you pay for the games you purchase?  I would also kind of like to save money and not have to buy a new car charger because I've purchased a new phone.  My phone currently uses the mini usb charger.  I'm assuming all the new Android phones use this.  I don't really care about the 4g stuff because I don't even have 3g yet but I need a phone that picks up good b/c I live in a rural area and I know the iphone picks up good.

I'm also sort of leaning toward the android because they seem to be less expensive than the iphone.  Thanks for anyone that answers my questions or comments.

Message 1 of 22 (1,551 Views)
Scholar

Re: Thinking about an Android phone

Wild Banchi wrote:

dragon672 wrote:

I just went and purchased the Motorola Atrix at the At&T store.  So far the only thing I know how to do is to make calls and check texts.  The agent gave me a list of apps to download and I've got to figure out how to connect to wifi and not use the data connection and how to fix my ringtones but so far its all good I think.

Cool! I hope you're liking it so far.

You can download the apps if you'd like using the Android Market, which I'm sure you probably already knew. To turn on and connect to Wi-Fi, you can use this page: http://www.knowyourcell.com/motorola/motorola-atrix-4g/atrix-4g-guides/731817/how_to_set_up_a_wifi_c...

To disable the data connection when wanting to use Wi-Fi instead, go to Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery, and then when the check boxes appear, uncheck "Background Delivery", "Data Roaming", and "Data Enable". Once you're done using Wi-Fi and you'd like to activate the 3G data network again, check all three boxes to make sure they are active.

In order to connect to my wifi Background delivery has to be checked but I've unchecked data roaming and data enable.  My signal is iffy here at the house but I was able to get a text message while connected to wifi...I hope it didn't use my edge connection.

Message 16 of 22 (1,082 Views)
Professor

SMS messages don't use data, but MMS (picture) messages do.

Message 17 of 22 (1,079 Views)
Master

21stNow wrote:

Which phone do you have now Ann, I forgot?

From what Ann has told me and keeping me up to date, I'm positive she's using a HTC Thunderbolt and a HTC Droid Eris as her backup "secret weapon". Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 18 of 22 (1,074 Views)
Master

dragon672 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

dragon672 wrote:

I just went and purchased the Motorola Atrix at the At&T store.  So far the only thing I know how to do is to make calls and check texts.  The agent gave me a list of apps to download and I've got to figure out how to connect to wifi and not use the data connection and how to fix my ringtones but so far its all good I think.

Cool! I hope you're liking it so far.

You can download the apps if you'd like using the Android Market, which I'm sure you probably already knew. To turn on and connect to Wi-Fi, you can use this page: http://www.knowyourcell.com/motorola/motorola-atrix-4g/atrix-4g-guides/731817/how_to_set_up_a_wifi_c...

To disable the data connection when wanting to use Wi-Fi instead, go to Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery, and then when the check boxes appear, uncheck "Background Delivery", "Data Roaming", and "Data Enable". Once you're done using Wi-Fi and you'd like to activate the 3G data network again, check all three boxes to make sure they are active.

In order to connect to my wifi Background delivery has to be checked but I've unchecked data roaming and data enable.  My signal is iffy here at the house but I was able to get a text message while connected to wifi...I hope it didn't use my edge connection.

Okay, that's fine. Whatever works best for you. And as 21stNow has already stated, text messages do not count as data and do not count against your data plan. So you shouldn't need to worry about them unless they are picture/other MMS messages.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 19 of 22 (1,073 Views)
Master

WB is correct. Although I am slightly jealous you have Sense 3.0 on the Sensation, 21stNow. I am too lazy and happy how the phone works to change the TB to a custom ROM. The baby Droid might see some elements of it. That is, if I can find the time to flash a ROM I have been reading about.

@dragon672
Enjoy the new phone.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 22 (1,070 Views)
Professor

OK.  I know someone with a rooted Thunderbolt that has a ROM that has a hybrid of Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0.  I know that he has the new lockscreen, but I don't know what other elements of Sense 3.0 he has.  I never had a phone with Sense 2.1, so I have to read about the differences.

Message 21 of 22 (1,023 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Lockscreen and quick access to the settings for wifi, mobile networks, etc. are the biggest difference between Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0. The Sense 2.1 themes are also incompatible with the other. Smiley Sad
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 22 (1,013 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.