The Samsung Galaxy S24
Closingracer's profile

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 5:07 PM

The Motorola moto x?

I currently own the Samsun Galaxy s4 and while i love it am considering to actually get this phone off contract perhaps or return it ( i believe it been 14 days). Is it actually quick and doesn't lag? And how about the memoery space on the phone is decent?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

From the reviews I've read, the Moto X is pretty lag free, decent screen, and battery life.  But nothing remarkable.  And at least some have commented that the physical desgin is pretty bland and cheap looking. 

Total storage is 16 GB (with 12 GB being user accessible) with no MicroSD slot.  Although a 32 GB version is supposed to become available.

Aside from the compelling option to design your own color and accents, the Moto X seems fairly unremarkable.

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

From the reviews I've read, the Moto X is pretty lag free, decent screen, and battery life.  But nothing remarkable.  And at least some have commented that the physical desgin is pretty bland and cheap looking. 

Total storage is 16 GB (with 12 GB being user accessible) with no MicroSD slot.  Although a 32 GB version is supposed to become available.

Aside from the compelling option to design your own color and accents, the Moto X seems fairly unremarkable.

I personally think the screen while lower resolution is better since it is OLED like Samsung devices but uses RGB instead of pentile. Also there is a 32gb model for 50 dollars more which shows in the moto maker website. I personally like the general specs of the phone and design but is it worth giving up my s4 Quad core cpu and 1080p screen?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@Closingracer wrote:
I personally think the screen while lower resolution is better since it is OLED like Samsung devices but uses RGB instead of pentile. Also there is a 32gb model for 50 dollars more which shows in the moto maker website. I personally like the general specs of the phone and design but is it worth giving up my s4 Quad core cpu and 1080p screen?

Can you tell if the 32 GB version being listed on the Moto Maker site, means its actually available at this time or not?  Only the 16 GB versions is listed as available on AT&T's website.  And several articles/reviews have mentioned the 32 GB versions as "not available yet".
Lower resolution versus non-pentile just seems like a tradeoff, unless the pentile really bugs you.  I would definitely try to compare side by side, before assuming the Moto X's screen is any better or not compared to the GS4.
Performance actually seems pretty similar to quad core flagship phones (GS4 and HTC One) despite the Moto X being essentially a dual core.  Although its somewhat expected, as the OS and apps are still not all that optimized to take advantage of quad cores.  Check out AnandTech's review, which (as usual) is a very good and technical writeup:  http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review
That being said, only you know what is right for you.  I don't know how often you upgrade your device, and what you expect when switching devices.  But for me, I'm usually only doing that to get something significantly better in performance and/or features than what I already have.  The Moto X seems very similar to what you already own.  I'm still on an HTC One X, and still not seeing all that much to get excited about in the Moto X.  At a minimum, I'd try to get hands on the device, and compare side by side, before switching.  I've seens some mixed reviews on the exterior physical design (some say its good - not great - other say its cheap and boring), and the screen might not be any better than what you have.

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

Well for starters i love the samsung plastic so the moto x build quality is a step up.. I been upgrading alot recently actually when i think about it. I upgraded from an iphone 4 to the samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket in March of 2012 and in Janurary I upgraded to the s3 and in august i upgraded to the s4 so it probably isnt a good idea to change but it did look enticing

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

My upgrade period for smartphones seems to be anywhere 1 to 2 years.  18 months is probably pretty average for me (with the 1 year and 2 year upgrades being basically one-time occurances).  Phone technology has been progressing pretty quickly, so an upgrade every "generation" or so like you are doing isn't all that unreasonable.  Everyone is different.  Many consumers only upgrade every 2 years, if that.  There are some folks on places like XDA that change devices every couple months.  It all depends on how important the money is to you, versus your enjoyment of the new device, versus other priorities.  At some point, spending money on a new phone becomes more of a hobby, than a necessity (if you do it frequently).  And there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

But for most people, lusting after every new device is tempting (and certainly fun), but not all that practical.  If you are satisfied with your phone from this current "generation", I would just hold out until something really better comes along.  The Moto X really just feels like its from the same generation, not the next one.  And not a significant improvement over what you've already got.  But that's just my feeling.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Personally, I find the Moto X just a notch, maybe two, above the Nexus 4 at a much higher price point. I would hold off for a Nexus 5 and see what kind of specs and pricing it has in comparison to the Moto X.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.