For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Green2222's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, April 11th, 2011 10:09 AM

THE HTC INSPIRE IS FAR FROM INSPIRING. You will be dissapointed. Lacks in battery support.

The htc inspire is a big disappointment. One of the biggest problems is the disappointing battery. I can only get 3 hours of use on one battery. I hold htc, at&t accountable for providing such a mediocre oem battery. I will not cut these multi billion dollar corporations any slack for selling  an electronic device with sooo many features and not having the GUMPTION to BACK it up. I equate this to bait and switch. Please give me a break. At least offer to SELL yes SELL a battery with double the amount of power to support your equipment. After all it is useless to have an unlimited data plan with all the other added costs of having such a device if you can not use it. You guys have to be ashamed of your selves. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

13 years ago

For both battery and signal issues I posted in another forum here but I'll post it here too.

From phone type in *#*#4636#*#* click phone information scroll all the way to the bottom to set preferred network type make sure it set to GSM only. Mine was set to WCDMA preferred and it was constantly searching for a signal I had both crappy signal and crappy battery life because it was constantly searching for a signal. I changed it to GSM only and I get much much better signal and battery life...

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@slocav wrote:
For both battery and signal issues I posted in another forum here but I'll post it here too.

From phone type in *#*#4636#*#* click phone information scroll all the way to the bottom to set preferred network type make sure it set to GSM only. Mine was set to WCDMA preferred and it was constantly searching for a signal I had both crappy signal and crappy battery life because it was constantly searching for a signal. I changed it to GSM only and I get much much better signal and battery life...

This is only helpful if one knows they are not in a 3G area and want to prevent the phone from searching for one.

WCDMA preferred - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 3G is favored more.
GSM only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
WCDMA only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
GSM auto (PRL) - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.

CDMA auto (PRL) - The CDMA phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.
CDMA only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
EvDo only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) - Some phones are equipped with both GSM and CDMA capabilities. This setting appears to just have the phone attempt to stay connected to the data communication type that works the best.

Unknown - If none of the above fit or the phone is acting weird as far as connecting to the carrier, you will see your preferred network type is set to this

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

13 years ago

WCDMA is Verizon's 3g

Gsm is ATT's. I switched to gsm only and have had zero issues getting both 3g or edge connections. When I'm in a area that's 3g it is 3g on my phone. When its edge its edge on the phone.

With it in WCDMA preferred it will constantly search for said WCDMA connection which ATT phones will not connect to.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

13 years ago

Wish I had a edit button. ATT will connect WCDMA but I just tried to put it back to WCDMA preferred and no difference but it went straight to 3g with gsm only it went to edge first for a few minutes the went to 3g. So I live in a place that's edge only "not home during this test" and with it to WCDMA preferred it killed my battery daily till I put it on gsm only.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

WCDMA is AT&T'S 3G Network.
GSM is their edge network.
GPRS Is the slower than edge network. Not sure what it's called.
CDMA and EVDO is what Verizon and Sprint run on.
I may have the terminology wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it rolls in the cellular world.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

That's what I understand about the differences between GSM and CDMA

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

FYI,

As others have stated above, there are many APPS (applications ie little programs) that can be DOWNLOAD to reduce the number of applications running (ie using up precious battery power) and also appilcations to extend battery usage (life).

If your a serious Techie, check out this forum dedicated to our Inspire4Gs.

-->>> http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1015

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

@Katmandu2 wrote:

FYI,

As others have stated above, there are many APPS (applications ie little programs) that can be DOWNLOAD to reduce the number of applications running (ie using up precious battery power)

Task killers for Android don't work and shouldn't be used, the processes will just respawn themselves.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

The best way to stop bloatware apps from starting at boot is to root and uninstall the apps.  But there is no way of uninstalling the previously mentioned ATT bloat apps without rooting.  This is becoming a significant complaint about recent ATT Android phones.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

Task killers for Android don't work and shouldn't be used, the processes will just respawn themselves.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

The best way to stop bloatware apps from starting at boot is to root and uninstall the apps.  But there is no way of uninstalling the previously mentioned ATT bloat apps without rooting.  This is becoming a significant complaint about recent ATT Android phones.

Or all other carriers' android phones.  What would you think if you had one single app weighting in at 131 MB as bloatware on the phone along with other pre-installed applications?

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

13 years ago

Bloatware is lame. You should be able to delete anything in your phone. But what about the fake 4G? What about the terrible upload speeds. The bloatware might be in the fineprint. Wheres the fineprint about the crippled upload speeds or the fake 4G? They didnt tell us about that in all the advertising hype leading up to the release of the Inspire and the Atrix. Not one Inspire/Atrix owner sees HSPA+ in the settings. Only HSDPA. Thats 3G! Uninspiring.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.