The Samsung Galaxy S24
Green2222's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, April 11th, 2011 10:09 AM

THE HTC INSPIRE IS FAR FROM INSPIRING. You will be dissapointed. Lacks in battery support.

The htc inspire is a big disappointment. One of the biggest problems is the disappointing battery. I can only get 3 hours of use on one battery. I hold htc, at&t accountable for providing such a mediocre oem battery. I will not cut these multi billion dollar corporations any slack for selling  an electronic device with sooo many features and not having the GUMPTION to BACK it up. I equate this to bait and switch. Please give me a break. At least offer to SELL yes SELL a battery with double the amount of power to support your equipment. After all it is useless to have an unlimited data plan with all the other added costs of having such a device if you can not use it. You guys have to be ashamed of your selves. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

I don't think you understand what bait and switch is, as this does not qualify in any way.  If you are unhappy with the battery life, its okay to just say so. 

There are tons of ways to extend battery life on Android phones.  The screen is the biggest hog of battery life on smartphones, and even more so with the Inspire's large screen.  The first step is to turn off the auto screen brightness, then reduce brightness to the lowest that you find tolerable for your most common lighting conditions.  The auto setting usually makes the screen far brighter than necessary for indoor conditions.  I have mine turned down to 35%, but its obviously a matter of personal preference to a large degree.  And if you spend a lot of time outside, you will unfortunately need the screen much brighter to make it visible in direct sunlight.

Other useful tips, is to turn off WiFi and GPS when not using them.  But use WiFi instead of the cell data when WiFi is present, as this also helps battery life.

Of course, there is always the possibility that  you have a defective battery, or other hardware/software defect leading to excessive battery drain.  Try some of the previously mentioned power saving tips, and see how it goes.  If you have no luck, exchange the phone and see if that helps.  If not, then you are probably right, and the battery life of this phone is just very subpar.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

I recently read a post on androidcentral.com that pointed out two pieces of AT&T bloatware that were causing a great deal of battery drain and they start by default. I stopped the following two apps and it made a large difference in my battery usage:

AT&T Navigator

AT&T Hot Spots

The bad part is you have to stop them each time you restart your handset.

Scholar

• 

93 Messages

13 years ago

I feel your pain, well to a point. To start a bigger battery in a uni-body phone isn't possible, the size of the body is what it is, just no room. Sure they could have made the body bigger to handle a bigger battery. Now to your battery life, something isn't right. I have power used this phone with many videos playing, using gps, WiFi on, using the network, surfing, I did a lot just see how far the battery would take me. I was able to get at least 6 hours with around 80% screen time for that 6 hours. Yes that still is bad, but my point is, it's heavy use but I did 2x better then you. So my thought is this... You have a bad battery, you did way more then me in power usage ( again I did a lot) or you have your screen on all the time.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try. And report back.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Just adding on to the battery-saving list, live wallpapers use quite a bit of your battery level, also. When they are enabled, your phone must use extra power to make them move/animate, therefore using more of your battery level. I love having live wallpapers on my phone and as my background, despite that it uses more of my battery than I would prefer it to...

If you have a live wallpaper as your background, switching to a regular picture would also save your battery and add more usage to what you can get out of it. It's the little things like that that can go a long way.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

I would still watch those too applications. They might respawn themselves.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I have been mindful of such issues. Live aquarium wall papers are beautiful I do not use them on a regular basis. I am prioritizing my battery use. Great tips!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

I will do that. I have been having some other issues with the Inspire and am considering exchanging it for either the Atrix or Captivate. However, I am partial to HTC Sense and that has me hesitant.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Just my two cents, I love my Captivate - great screen, takes great photos, has lots of app to choose from (from the Android Market, like the Inspire). The battery life is okay, but mine probably runs down pretty quickly because I have a live wallpaper (downloaded) as my background, which uses more battery. The Captivate is one phone I will hold on to as long as I can. 🙂 Mine does not have the shutdown issue, as others may have reported.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

Well I gotta say the Inspire is a great phone love the screen size solid built battery isn't really a issue getting a whole day use out of it and that consistently using it thru out the day. Recommend Quick Setting for a app can control everything at one touch definitely keep your data off when not using web. And keep auto sync off saves a lot of battery. Will wait till At&t takes the reigns off the phone And sends us the update so we can get closer 4G speeds. But it a great phone very happy with purchase and with at&t so far had a minor issue they were helpful in resolving it. So very satisfied.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.