The Samsung Galaxy S24
19jwt50's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 3:13 PM

Sudden increase in data usage

Over the past 3 days my 3GB of data has been used up. It appears as if bursts of data are being used all at once. One was for amost a full GB. The people I've talked to in two different ATT stores appear to be at a loss for what's happening. Last person I talked with just turned off my internet access and said to open it back up on November 20th when my plan starts over again. Does any one have the right solution??

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Same problem here.  I thought it was because I got a new phone, an HTX One X, which has LTE, on 3-Dec.  For 3 years before December, I had used less than 60MByte/mo., and then in December I used 190MBytes so had to turn off mobile data. I thought the usage was due to a poorly designed app and Web site that I had hit, but this topic suggests it's something different.  The data usage reported by my phone and by AT&T matched.  It's as if now there's additional or overhead usage compared to what the app or browser uses.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same problem.   I am using over 100,000 Kb when first am turning on my Internet.Does any anyone have an iPad? I am wondering if iCloud and  I tunes has anything to do with usage.  I have just turned my off today and am hoping this takes care of issue?  If this doesn't take care of it I am contacting the betterbusiness bureau.  There is no way I can all of the sudden be using over 5 gb a month for the last 2 months.  I have had to restrict my use to not go over my limit.  No one at AT&T can help.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have a Samsung infuse

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@justwondering897 wrote:

Same problem here.  I thought it was because I got a new phone, an HTX One X, which has LTE, on 3-Dec.  For 3 years before December, I had used less than 60MByte/mo., and then in December I used 190MBytes so had to turn off mobile data. I thought the usage was due to a poorly designed app and Web site that I had hit, but this topic suggests it's something different.  The data usage reported by my phone and by AT&T matched.  It's as if now there's additional or overhead usage compared to what the app or browser uses.

That is a very small amount of monthly data compared to the 2-3 GB/month increase that other people on this thread are complaining about.

Smartphones use data in many more ways than just the browser and the apps you installed.  Gmail and other emails accounts use data.  And if you are getting email pushed frequently (from work email account, etc.) this can be a big contributor to data usage.  Aside from that, the phone will sync in the background for Weather, Stocks, News, and other built-in services that you may not have accounted for. Smartphones in general use a good amount of data in the background by design, for services that the manufacturer will think users will find useful.  190 Mb a month is not out of line with the typical background usage (combined with some browser use). 

But everyone's preferences are different, and you may choose to shut them off some of the built-in services.  Try going to Settings>Accounts & sync, and disable or adjust the settings for the services in accordance to your needs/preferences, and this may help your data usage.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have turned off every service running. I have deleted apps and I manually force stopped them. I am hoping that when I check my usage tomorrow that by turing off the icloud and itunes, photo backups, etc. will have taken care of everything.  Otherwise I am at the point where my 5 gb is gone and I will be charged for going over the 5gb.  I have never used that kind of data, I don't view videos, listen to music so this is frustrating.  I gave up a dsl line with unlimited usage for this ATT 5 gb plan that I use for 2 weeks and go over my plan! Yikes. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

this is very interesting. I own a GS3 and we are suffering from the same issues as well as the Note 2 folks. The problem has been amplified ever since we all got the 4.1 update. i thought it was isolated to the samsung devices but now it seems that Att is actually having a major network issue on their high end branded phones. Someone high up really needs to take notice.

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

The same thing is happening to me on both phones on my account; GSII and Vivid. Our normal data usage is 2-3gb a month. Now we are over 5gb with 10 days in our billing cycle. 

Anyone trying to say this is a services/app issue is kidding themselves. 

Something is obviously going on here. 

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

FYI...there are several similar threads on the apple support forum at apple.com. 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@Debee3113 wrote:

I have turned off every service running. I have deleted apps and I manually force stopped them.

Force stopping an app will often just cause it to respawn and try to continue what it was doing when you stopped it.  If you can't uninstall the app, try to disable it in Settings.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I was finally sent to a repair center for a new phone, where the tech told me I could get a new phone but that the existing one I own could just have the software debugged and updated and it would be just fine. He knew exactly about the problem. I am getting a new phone instead, so we'll see where that takes us. Didn't know there was such a place until the 3rd ATT store I tried said I needed a new phone because they couldn't fix my problem either. If you reset your phone 3 times and there isn't a fix, you can get a new phone. I won't have the phone for another week, but will let you know if the same problem exists.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.