The Samsung Galaxy S24
luiscarrera2002's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, December 17th, 2017 8:19 AM

Spain text to US

Im trying to find a plan that will allow me to just send text messages from Spain to the US for 6 months so I can stay in touch. I would appreciate the help. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

There are no texting only international plans. All international plans include unlimited texting or you can just pay by the text. Without a plan, it costs $0.50 per sent text, received texts are free. Since the cheapest passport plan is now $60, you are better off just paying by the text as long as you send less than 120 texts per month. If your phone has WiFi calling, you can text for free when on WiFi and connected to ATT’s network.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Geesh.  Dumping the cheaper passport plans was a terrible idea

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

So let's say im in Spain with a place that has wifi will I be able to send free messages from a samsung galaxy express 3 for free. Or will I have to pay?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@luiscarrera2002 I don’t see that phone on the list of WiFi calling supported phones. See this thread for more info: https://forums.att.com/t5/Device-Features/AT-amp-T-Wi-Fi-Calling/td-p/4841969

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@luiscarrera2002  Are you a prepaid customer?   Prepaid has no roaming out of North America at all. You would have to get the phone unlocked and use a local SIM card.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

6 years ago

For 6 month in Spain, there is no reason to keep the AT&T account and have very limit use of AT&T service at best. Unless you need to keep the phone number. The "no cost" option will be just use free wifi hotspot there and use Whatsapp, WeChat or similar to text, voice and video call your contacts. You contacts must have the same software though. You don't really need a phone to do that, a tablet can do that too. The next option will be have your phone unlock or purchase a inexpensive unlock phone. Get a data only simcard in Spain and use Whatapp. That is if you don't need to make local calls. Otherwise purchase a voice and data simcard.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.