For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
tmann202's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 7:27 PM

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Will it work with AT&T if it is unlocked?

I see the new Z1 Compact phone was announced as being exclusive to T-Mobile in the US. Since T-M and AT&T are both GSM, will the T-Mobile Z1c work with AT&T (GoPhone) if it is unlocked?

Was thinking about joining GoPhone but would really like to have this and/or the S4 Mini (separate thread) as an option.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Tmann202,

Based off the specs on the Sony Website, it will work on our network.

However a few notes - It does have the correct LTE bands to work on AT&T's LTE network (2 and 4), but we also use band 17 as well, which this device does not support.

UMTS (3G/HSPA+) access should be fine as the device supports our bands (850/1900).

You may need to program your APN settings into the device manually.

You can see all of our great GoPhone Plans by visiting Here

Hope this helps!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. How would not having band 17 affect coverage. For instance, is it used only in certain regions? If so, do you know where?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Good question.  What's the importance of band 17, and which areas would this be more important?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

my question is this, i have tried to research a sony phone for the last year or so and have not been able to get a straight answer from sony and forums out there. This is so frustrating because i get several different answers about which sony phone will work with att while getting 4g lte. I wamnt the sony z1 compact when it somes out, i already have att service and just need to know will it work with att and receive 4g service is the us area (philly). If not i will just stick with what i have for now. I know the 6903 and 6906 z1 will work, that is what im being told. I appreciate your input with this.

steve

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I would like an answer to this too. It seems like we are completely covered for EDGE/HSPA+/LTE except LTE band 17. I am in the Portland, Oregon area and would like to know if band 17 is utilized here.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Just thought I'd add what I found online:

"AT&T* announced in an 8-K filing today that it has agreed to acquire spectrum in the 700 MHz B band from Verizon Wireless for $1.9 billion in cash and Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum licenses in several markets, including Phoenix, Ariz., Los Angeles and Fresno, Calif. and Portland, Ore.

The 700 MHz licenses to be acquired by AT&T cover 42 million people in 18 states — California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming."

700Mhz equates to LTE band 17, so this should help understand the impact.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I just bought the Z1 compact from Taiwan last week and back to Calif this week, I inserted my AT&T sim into it and no data service at then, so I took it to the AT&T local store to have the APN reprogramed and data activated, I saw the LTE came on the screen immediately, it works perfectly without the band 17 (LTE band 700), but you still need to be aware that location does matter, in some location you will only see the "H" (HSPA) and other location shows "LTE", AT&T LTE coverage is not as good as Verizon as we all know it. I am very happy about the result and will keep it and sell my huge LG-G2 phone.

Vince

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

HI Vince
I need a huge favor, can you tell me exactly how the APN setup was?? (name, APN, Proxy..etc), i would hugely appreciate it.
I spent 4 hours with the tech support for AT&T plus an hour at the store, to get the HSPA working but i still cannot get the multimedia through sms working??!!! i still can send messages and receive them but i cannot send any pic neither receiving it!!!!??
Thank you in advance.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry for the delay since I am not on this forum all the time.... I also have a spared AT&T LG G2 unlocked LTE 4G phone when I took my Sony Z1 compact to the local AT&T store for help. I really can't and unable to answer your question in detail, I can tell you this, the AT&T store service rep spent about half an hour on her iPad searching for some info then went back to my Sony "Setting-More-Mobile network settings-Access Point Names-APNs" and did all the data entry there, at first, it didn't work, then she decided to use my LG G2's IMEI instead of the one from Sony, then the AT&T network accepted and the LTE signal came on immediately. My SMS, internet, email and multimidia are all working, as I said, this Sony is lack of LTE Band 17 (LTE 700), therefore, in some area you only gets the H+ (HSPDA) signal, in some area you do get the LTE 4G signal here in Northern Calif. I guess it all depends on which AT&T store service rep you talk to regards this APN setup. Good luck. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Tcharfa, I think that I can provide the Sony Z1 Compact APNs setting that AT&T store rep set for you:

Name - AT&T Phone

APN - Phone

Proxy - Not set

Port - Not set.

User Name - Not set.

Password - Not set.

Server - Not set.

MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS port - 80

MCC - 310

MNC - 410

Authentication type - None

APN type - mms,default,supl

APN protocol - IPv4

APN roaming protocol - IPv4

Bearer - Unspecified

MVNO type - None

OK, That's it, now anyone who has the Sony Z1 Compact can just copy the above info and setup your APN to the same and you will get AT&T LTE 4G network, again it still depends on the AT&T LTE 4G coverage area specific in your area. Good luck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.