The Samsung Galaxy S24
dmtucker's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Friday, January 4th, 2013 2:48 PM

Solution for Galaxy SII SGH-i777 4.0.4 update issues

I think I've fixed my Galaxy S2 problems!  It has been completely stable, very responsive, with great battery life for 4 days.

After the 4.0.4 update, I saw the all the problems being described here: spurts of extreme battery discharge, spontaneous reboot, but most often "sleep of death".  After the "sleep of death" episode, the phone indicates the battery is dead if you hold the power button.   But usually, as soon as you plug in the charger, the battery indicates less than empty, and the phone will boot.

Per AT&T's advice, I removed lots of apps (mostly geeky, system-oriented apps).  No luck.  Then I did a factory reset.  Better, but no luck - still saw "sleep of death" occasionally.  Unacceptable, as my job depends on the phone.

On a  hunch, I tried something else: disabled several AT&T built-in apps, being specifically concerned about "AT&T Smart Wi-fi".  

Background: I remembered that several months ago I saw this app in the Play store, and it looked useful.  I installed it, and my phone became unreliable.  I didn't recognize the problem immediately, because I suspected my new SD card was the culprit.  After two weeks, I uninstalled the app, and the phone became stable again.  A few days ago, I noticed "AT&T Smart Wi-fi" came along with 4.0.4 as a system app, so I disabled it and the phone has been great since.

Actually, I disabled most of the built-in apps (you can't uninstall them, unfortunately), but I suspect the Smart Wi-fi app was the culprit.disabled_apps.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I'm curious, I am not seeing the way to Disable these apps.  In my Applications list, like your screen shot, I do not see the word Disabled.  And I do not see a Disable option.  Does this ability require my phone to be rooted?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Nevermind, I found it.  I needed to Uninstall All updates first, then it gave me the Disable button.  All good now.  I'll test this to see if it helps.

Thanks!

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I haven't had one SOD since reset and disabling all ATT apps. I understand it didn't work for you but I'm very happy with my GS2 again. Thanks

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

I have disabled most of the ATT apps that I can find and lots of the crap that was on the phone. So now we shall see

In my opinion its should be illegal to use the android OS and allow goofy cos like ATT the ability to lock their apps in

Once the 90 day warranty expires on the this factory refurb ill just root the phone if this SOD keeps up

my other post in another realted string:

Re: Galaxy S II random shutdowns/enormous data usage[ Edited ]

‎01-27-2013 07:04:01 PM - edited ‎01-27-2013 07:07:30 PM

My stock s2 bricked in the first 60 days. (purch nov 2011 at costco). So they gave me new phone. it was fine for 8 mo then about 3 mo ago I was getting the random shut donws. I have to reboot (press vol key and power key to restart) No reason for it. totally random. Sometimes goes 3 days no prob. Sometimes does it three times in one day. Always when phone is idle and screen is off. Phone is shut down and recharged nightly. No weird apps. no rooting. Its now on ICS 404. So took the phone in on the even of the 1 yr arranty with att and they gave me samsung factory refurb phone and a new batt. Three days later I got the same problem. So now one by one I am removing any non google apps to see if its an app problem. I have 90 days warranty on this refurb phone. I guess I am just having bad luck. Otherwise phone has been great

I wish there was a quicker way to determine problem. I have to rule out hardware as the refurb phone doing same exact thing as last phone on the same OC ICS 404

One thing that I do note is that its almost always on wifi when ot shuts off

I do not have any high data usage. Usually well below 300 mb mo. I use navigation a lot and all the google apps but its on wifi a lot

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have tried disabling the AT&T bloatware and it has improved the SOD from 5 or 6 times a day.  To once every day or two. 

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

After trying all different suggestions regarding this issue, it appears that the only effective solution is to flash the phone back to 4.0.3. I did this using the procedudure and software tools found on GalaxyS2Root.com. I did this about a week ago and have not had one crash/SOD episode since. I think that I will not EVER upgrade the firmware on this phone again. Too many headaches! Hope this note helps the rest of you.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was super excited this morning when I received the update message, I figured it was the update finally to 4.1 (Jelly Bean).  However after the update my SGH-i777 still states it is 4.0.4....grrr.  I have been witnessing all the above problems with my S2.  Did anyone get this update?  Am I far behind?  I tried even syncing through Samsung Kies, but now it says that my firmware is too out of date for Samsung Kies...WHATT??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I noticed every time in recovered from one of these episodes , the play store would be downloading an update. I disabled automatically update apps and I have not had any problems for the past 3 days. Hopefully it stays this way! I also got the mystery update today... waiting to see if it does anything different...

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I got the update this morning. I hope it fixes the SOD issue.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I am curious if you went with SuperNexus, which version you installed and how it worked out?  I too am tired of the crap that AT&T forces on you (anyone else sick of the delay waking the phone and seeing that stupid AT&T logo in the upper-left corner!) and waiting forever to get JellyBean.  I put CyanogenMod on my Galaxy S - original - the phone Samsung/AT&T said wouldn't get JB - CM works great, albeit a little slow. Unfortunately, CM is really behind on getting and official JB based MOD for the S2.

FWIW, the patch to fix this problem won't install on my phone.  I tried it a dozen times last night.  Even did a "factory reset" - it downloads fine, reboots, gets to 67% and says "Update is failed", then reboots.

I always suspected the problem is with the additional crapware AT&T forces on us with 4.0.4 - I have gone through and disabled everything I don't want.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.