The Samsung Galaxy S24
wolf!'s profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 7:44 PM

Skyrocket Bluetooth voicedial

Hi,

I just ordered a skyrocket LTE. I was looking through the board and saw there were issues with Bluetooth voicedial. Which is a major dealbreaker for me. I chatted with Samsung, and they say it voicedials over Bluetooth just fine, i shouldn't have any problems. Does anybody know if this was resolved, or if it was just isolated cases?

thanks

al

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I am having your same problem. It clearly says they have voice dialing in the phone's description. My headset does support it.  It tells me to hold it down for two seconds and then there's a beep. The phone does not bring up anything. I was trying to see if there was something I need to select on the phone. I believe that is what I had to do with my last phone which was not a smartphone. I will continue to play around with it and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I've learned on my last android phone that "voicedial" means you can dial by voice using the microphone on the telephone, which you usually have to initate by opening the phone, pressing voice dial, wait for it to open, presst the start listning butten of some sort..... and by they you could have dialed the number directly. but may or may not have bluetooth support.

as opposed to "voice dial over bluetooth". where on  your 8 year old 'dumb' phone you press the button on your bluetooth and say "call mary" and it beeps and says "call mary" and you say "yes", and it calls mary.

I've noticed the manifacturers and carriers are more than happy to mislead people into thinking a phone has 'voice dial over bluetooth" when it only has "voice dial" and when you call them they play dumb, when you know they've been asked 100 times. I learned that with my motorola, so his time I got samsung. But I stuck with it anyway. This time I am not accepting a phone that does not have this basic, vital, safety feature. I had thought that the android updates to 1.35, and bluetooth 3.0 had addressed this issue. 

I just got it in last night, and If I can't get it to "voicedial over bluetooth" , I'll be sending it back after I'v had a chance to play with it a fe days, and getting a I Phone from sprint. Th only reasion I stayed with at+t and their throttleing issue,(that sprint does not have) was because I wanted an LTE android phone and sprint was taking too long. I know the i phone, 4s i think, has this. my daughter has one and I have tried it.

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

It's been a while since I've been to the AT&T phone forums (I've still got a Tilt 2!) but they are extremely informative. Thank you all for your input.  I, too, was getting ready to upgrade to a Skyrocket , and the lack of Voice Dial over Bluetooth is a deal breaker for me as well.  What, a slow Winmo 6.5 phone has it, and an Android 2.3.5 phone doesn't??

I'm researching to see if the Galaxy Note has voice dial over bluetooh.  It was just made available for pre-order today. It's $100 more and much larger (a phone / tablet hybrid), but I may choose it.  From what I've read, the Galaxy S II is NOT LTE ready, so, that's not a choice for me.  Apparently, the Galaxy S II has voice dial over bluetooth.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I just got off chat with samsung, this is what they said:

l: Hi, I just purchased a skyrocket, upon the affirmation from another samsung chat representatives that it had bluetooth voice dialing. but i've read through the manual, and tried everything I couldn't find on the phone. how do i use the bluetooth voice dial?

Paige: I understand that you want to know if Skyrocket phone supports bluetooth voice dialing feature, am I correct?

al: yes, samsung has already told me it does, upon which advice i bought the phone, but i cannot make it work

Paige: Thank you for the confirmation.

Paige: Would you mind holding 3 minutes while I gather the required information on your request?

al: sure

Paige: Thank you.

Paige: Thank you for holding. I should inform that, Galaxy Skyrocket supports bluetooth voice dialing feature. However, Samsung will release  a software update to make this feature work on phone. Unfortunately, as of now there is no information regarding new updates for Skyrocket phone.

al: any eta on that?

al: I really don't want to get stuck with a phone that doesn't have that feature

Paige: It will be a either a Over the Air update or Samsung might also release the update through Kies mini software.

al: I only have a certin amount of time to return the phone, after that, I'd be kind of stuck if it doesn't happen

Paige: As the phone supports this feature, by the future updates it will be activated.

Paige: I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

so according to him/her, he previous rep gave me incorrect info. Now I have to decide to wait and hope, or to get an I fone. I know updates can be sluggish, so I'd def. be past the return period waiting for it. he last time I had to wait for an update, it was scheduled for Q1, first quarter, but didn't come until november.

Being the last rep gave me bad info, i cannot guarentee this rep is giving good info.

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

I forgot how helpful AT&T forums could be.  I can now upgrade my phone and have been researching this b/t voicedial issue on both the skyrocket and the Upcoming Galaxy Note.  I haven't purchased the phone yet, but thought I'd call into Samsun technical support as well with the question  This is what they told ME:

They told me that "Voice Dial over Bluetooth" will work but only with Samsung b/t headsets.  I took a quick look at their cheap offerings.  So, I guess that also means that these two phones won't work with b/t enabled cars, right?

I think they got caught with their pants down on this one.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

the guy i chatted said there is no info on the note and bluetooth.

I'm begining to think they just make up a new answer to each person that calls.

the 'only samsung' sounds fishy.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Spoiler
Samsung is crazy for removing this functionality from their Flagship device. This is not only a safety issue when traveling but also a step backward convenience. Much lesser phones have this feature. As much as I like this phone it's going back while it still can. I would not wait and hope they fix it, Samsung is moving on to other things this phone has been out for four months + and no fix. It's probably not coming....!!!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I called amazon. they're sending me a pick up notice. The skyrocket is history.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

@wgrayson wrote:

I forgot how helpful AT&T forums could be.  I can now upgrade my phone and have been researching this b/t voicedial issue on both the skyrocket and the Upcoming Galaxy Note.  I haven't purchased the phone yet, but thought I'd call into Samsun technical support as well with the question  This is what they told ME:

They told me that "Voice Dial over Bluetooth" will work but only with Samsung b/t headsets.  I took a quick look at their cheap offerings.  So, I guess that also means that these two phones won't work with b/t enabled cars, right?

I think they got caught with their pants down on this one.

I have the Samsung SkyRocket and I have been using the bluetooth voicedial successfully since I bought it with my Ford Sync system in my truck.

Works like a champ everytime. Haven't had any issues with it while using it with the Ford Sync system. I haven't tried using it with the headphones/headset, as I have no need for that. Just need voicedial while driving for safety.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I think that is the car , doing the work, and accepting the command, not the phone? it has downloaded your phone book? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.