The Samsung Galaxy S24
cciechad's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 1:54 PM

Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Att,

How about posting the sigining key for the AT&T S5 bootloader that you locked on the phone I just spent 650 dollars on? Also is what your support is telling customers correct? They are stating that if I buy a SIM unlock code this will also clear the bootloader lock? I'm guessing this is completely incorrect and that the AT&T customer support people have no idea what they are doing(I had to explain the difference between a bootloader and SIM unlock several dozen times). If someone doesn't come out with an exploit soon I'm going to return this piece of junk to AT&T and jump ship for T-Mobile(they respect their customers enough to not put some crap bootloader lock on a 650 dollar phone).

Thanks,

Chad

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@rfritzemeier wrote:

You need people like us, the "tech" guys, the people who give the thumbs up or thumbs down when our less savvy friends ask for advice.

Your less tech savvy friends don't need an unlocked bootloader.

The model is "appliance" not "homebrew computer" - these appliances do what their manufacturers want them to do. If that's what you want to do, great. If not, then this isn't the appliance for you.

This same appliance model exists for Apple iPhones. They seem to sell well enough, and work fine.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

johninsj wrote:

Your less tech savvy friends don't need an unlocked bootloader.

No, they don't - and I would probably recommend an iPhone to them. From any carrier other than AT&T. You're welcome.

The model is "appliance" not "homebrew computer" - these appliances do what their manufacturers want them to do. If that's what you want to do, great. If not, then this isn't the appliance for you.

This same appliance model exists for Apple iPhones. They seem to sell well enough, and work fine.

Great logic - so you're saying "if the one size fits all logic works for the iPhone then it should work for everything else too." Nevermind the fact that I left the iPhone after the 3 because I don't want the one size fits all logic.

If Levi's were to make 46L jeans in blue and black, but only made 34's in black, if I'm not a 46L like the rest of this country, I should just be happy with my black jeans right? Shame on me for even asking why I can't have blue. Do you work for apple or AT&T? I don't even know why I bother posting anything here, since AT&T doesn't care and you are all AT&T employees anyway.

Oh, and PS, you're basically saying "If the carriers want to shove their bull bloatware software down your throat to extract more cash out of the deal, then that is their prerogative." And it absolutely is, although its a shortsighted business decision and ultimately a mistake. BP tried to run their business this way in the gulf, worked out well. Go ahead and dismiss me, this conversation is probably above your AT&T paygrade anyway. I'm done here, carry on AT&T employees.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

No, I'm not saying anything like that at all.

I'm saying if you go to a store that sells blue widgets, and you want a yellow widget, the store isn't evil for not selling you a yellow widget.

You know you can go to a different store and get that yellow widget. If the store is happy selling blue widgets, and people who want blue widgets are happy with their blue widgets, then it's very likely that the store will continue selling blue widgets.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The nexus smart phone program is dead . Google is going to release the silver series that ALL carriers will be required to sell. If the boot loader will be unlockable that is still not known. And why are u complaining about unlocked phones when the HTC one m8 is the same phone spec wise as the s5. Minus the stupid Knox crap

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@johninsj wrote:

No, I'm not saying anything like that at all.

I'm saying if you go to a store that sells blue widgets, and you want a yellow widget, the store isn't evil for not selling you a yellow widget.

You know you can go to a different store and get that yellow widget. If the store is happy selling blue widgets, and people who want blue widgets are happy with their blue widgets, then it's very likely that the store will continue selling blue widgets.

Bingo! That's exactly what I do — I buy service from AT&T, I buy my phones elsewhere. I haven't bought a phone from AT&T in over 10 years and I don't see that changing any time soon. AT&T can do what they want with the phones they sell — unlike with Verizon, I don't have to buy a phone from them, I can buy a phone elsewhere and put my SIM in it. The way I see it AT&T sells inferior product — why buy from them? They don't hide the fact that their product is inferior.

Unfortunately, the few people who don't like their inferior product are too few. AT&T doesn't care and doesn't have to — if all of us who don't like this practice go and buy our devices elsewhere, we won't even register as a speck of dust on their overall picture. Naturally for a big corporation they only take into account things that affect their bottom line. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If that was true the new plans would not be here. There are more byod people now than ever before. Att could careless where you get your phone from there not making big money off the devices. They want to sell you service. And with volte they get to sell you more data since the calls are routed over ip.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Depends on your level of cynicism.

Having good customer service, more options, better service is a good way to lure new customer and keep exisitng customer, ie be competitive.

Having more customers translates to better profits.

As far as the other things, there's too much cheese.

Yes, AT&T has something that others don't, and vice versa. End of story.

-Alex

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

Well, im glad you guys think that diminishing options isn't a problem, looking at the app store reviews of the various malware/bloat AT&T forces upon their devices, I know there are plenty of frustrated folks, and that I'm not the only one.

I'm sure AT&T is banking on the fact that VZW is worse than they are to carry them through. Solid business model, throwing rocks at bears is all good as long as there's someone slower than you around; ask Circuit City how treating their employees that way worked out for them (internal shrinkruptcy more like it).

And I can't believe how you guys can all slurp up the koolaid that less is more and choices are bad, just because AT&T says so. 

And since their pricing model is built around subsidizing a phone every two years, if you pay 700 for your phone every time, you're basically giving them ( 250 * 2  ) * ( #phones / 2 years).

I love how the response to complaints about how AT&T is taking away choice by locking down more and more phones by saying "you know what phones are unlocked, buy those." 

Yeah, let me get teh htc with the 4mp camera. Or the nexus 5 thats already outdated. Wow, thank you for graciously allowing me two choices, you are most generous. Maybe next year, with the Nexus gone as well, I can then be graced by the choice of whatever HTC phone I am allowed to buy from AT&T, most gracious of all providers.

I'll take my money elsewhere and tell as many people as I can to do the same.

You aren't the only game in town, everyone's got decent LTE in the city these days, and I'm ready to just put my foot down and get the entire extended family on a different network even if i have to foot the inital bill myself. That's the only reason im stuck here. The cost of a dozen handsets is nothing compared to giving any more money to a company who has this much contempt for customers, and is willing to lie about their reasons for doing something, since there have been many offered solutions to these issues that don't eliminate customer choice; the reality is that they are paid to install bloat, and they don't want it to be removed. They want Isis to be my wallet and the AT&T store to be where i buy music and whatever other bloat they ram down my throat.

My cousin had the audacity of trying to load music on his external sd card and the phone kept freezing because the bloat was fighting over who got to control the music. Beautiful, good job guys.

Keep it up, I'm sure you guys can all be carrying identical phones with identical features and identical mandatory bloatware just like the iOS community (except their mandatory software isn't garbage) in no time. Choices are too much work amirite??!!!?!?!!?!

Do whatever you guys want, if the unwashed masses will continue to fall for this nonsense we've got bigger problems than cell phones or service providers; we'll WWE presidents and Gatorade ruling the united states of the world. And electrolytes; it's what plants crave.

Dear AT&T, I really want you to give away the pk and stop being dbags about it, but I am in no way a selfless person and I could be bought if you wanted to just send me an unlocked version instead. I'll give you the $200 and shut up until the contract is up,  I promise.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

@loganic wrote:

Depends on your level of cynicism.

Having good customer service, more options, better service is a good way to lure new customer and keep exisitng customer, ie be competitive.

Having more customers translates to better profits.

As far as the other things, there's too much cheese.

Yes, AT&T has something that others don't, and vice versa. End of story.

-Alex

Better reign in de la vega's suck puppets before they show how much contempt he has for the people who pay his salary. 

They don't want customers like me apparently. Or any of the people who I influence. I guess we are too small to affect AT&T's bottom line. That's too bad, because all I want is the ability to void my own warranty and lock myslf out of enterprise features, which would be as easy as including a one way code in the box with my device that allows me to remove the bootloader encryption. 

None of the people who are clogging your warranty would get that far, adn if you made it all clear theyd have no leg to stand on even if they did. Make it a pain in the rear, i'd type in a dozen codes and fill out as many online busywork forms, because I know why I want it. 

Bottom line; its not about that, its about forcing your bloat down my throat because you aren't happy enough just taking my moeny, you want the bloat makers money too.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

WOW...  DISABLE the apps that was brought into android in jellybean.  as for your price model have you looked at the new plans.

if you bring your own device your only paying 15 per phone a month not 40 thats a savings of 25 a month.

do the math you can save tons of money.  I bought the kids moto g's with lte with my edu discount they were only 129 each.

There are plenty of unlocked phones out there that will work on att.  I have a vodaphone s5 thats unlocked rooted and romed that gets att lte.  You just have to look for them.

And the nexus 5 is not that dated of a device.  it has a sd800 in it the new phones have a sd801.  Till the 805 comes out with 64bit there is not much of a gain with the chips.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.