The Samsung Galaxy S24
cciechad's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, April 15th, 2014 1:54 PM

Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Att,

How about posting the sigining key for the AT&T S5 bootloader that you locked on the phone I just spent 650 dollars on? Also is what your support is telling customers correct? They are stating that if I buy a SIM unlock code this will also clear the bootloader lock? I'm guessing this is completely incorrect and that the AT&T customer support people have no idea what they are doing(I had to explain the difference between a bootloader and SIM unlock several dozen times). If someone doesn't come out with an exploit soon I'm going to return this piece of junk to AT&T and jump ship for T-Mobile(they respect their customers enough to not put some crap bootloader lock on a 650 dollar phone).

Thanks,

Chad

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Chris

Nice, you come off like a att employee that hates there job.

It's att that is at fault here they encrypted the boot loader. All boot loaders are locked when the phones ship. 1 out of a billion your numbers are a little off. I would say they get more calls than you think. It's your shortside mind that thinks a phone you pay full price for should be controlled. Android is open source for a reason.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
Chris

Nice, you come off like a att employee that hates there job.

It's att that is at fault here they encrypted the boot loader. All boot loaders are locked when the phones ship. 1 out of a billion your numbers are a little off. I would say they get more calls than you think. It's your shortside mind that thinks a phone you pay full price for should be controlled. Android is open source for a reason.

If you read the signature block on his message you will understand that is is NOT a employee of ATT. If you also take the time to read my signature block you will understand that I also not a employee of att

Customer service is NOT technical support, they have no access to the technical systems, nor the trianing to be a technical support person.  the decision to make it a locked bootloader came down with the agreement between ATT and the manufacturer of teh device Just like te phone is locked to the ATT network even though you paid full price for it.

By the way when I pay full price for a cell device I make sure that I do not buy it from a carrier

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The mobile site does not show Sig blocks.

Also I know what I buy. With the m8 I knew I could unlock it. Mine is also SIM unlocked. But It is crappy of art to encrypt the bootloader

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

10 years ago

Great. Well anyway... AT&T nor Samsung are going to go back on their original decision because of some griping.
and the only way that you're going to be able to unlock the bootloader is waiting for an exploit to be released.

Case closed... yeah?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If you really Dev apps like your sig says Chris then you know the reason people want unlocked stuff.  I fail to realize why you are so hurt by people voicing there opinion.  I still hate Att and Verizon for not allowing Google wallet instead you get half baked isis. For the op there are carrier unlocked s5's that do have Att LTE bands.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

1. This is bull. I've queried Samsung and they say that the BL is locked at AT&T's request. If AT&T hadn't requested it be locked it would have shipped like the TMO model.

2. Not sure what you're saying here. I don't want to "reengineer" the phone I just want to upgrade the software. Same as I would do on a desktop or laptop.

3. I think you're just making up statistics here. I know for a fact that AT&T got more than one call about this Thursday of last week. Unless I'm crazy I doubt AT&T's customer service line got 2 billion calls on that day.

Also I've been an AT&T customer for over 15 years and all they have to do to satisfy me is email me a 256 or 128 charachter string which they have in their possesion. Since this costs them basically 0 there is no reason not to. This is simply atrocious customer service although thats basically what I've come to expect from AT&T.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@cciechad wrote:

1. This is bull. I've queried Samsung and they say that the BL is locked at AT&T's request. If AT&T hadn't requested it be locked it would have shipped like the TMO model.

2. Not sure what you're saying here. I don't want to "reengineer" the phone I just want to upgrade the software. Same as I would do on a desktop or laptop.

3. I think you're just making up statistics here. I know for a fact that AT&T got more than one call about this Thursday of last week. Unless I'm crazy I doubt AT&T's customer service line got 2 billion calls on that day.

Also I've been an AT&T customer for over 15 years and all they have to do to satisfy me is email me a 256 or 128 charachter string which they have in their possesion. Since this costs them basically 0 there is no reason not to. This is simply atrocious customer service although thats basically what I've come to expect from AT&T.

which puts it in the contractual agreement for marketing the phone, pretty sure that knowlledge of "att requested it" is above the pay grade of technical support people, that stays at the corporate level at a lot higher pay grade.

Curious how you know that att got more then one call about the issue, besides they would have all recieved the same response, not possible at teir 1 customer service, with no offence to them, they are not technical support, the code is not available to them at that level.

Would make book on your last comment not happening at all, not getting what your want when it is against company policy is not bad customer service.

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

10 years ago

wingrider01 wrote:
.. not getting what your want when it is against company policy is not bad customer service.

It's definitely a common misnomer to say it's bad customer service when you don't get what you want.

An example of Bad customer service, would be if the customer service representative didn't even try to find the answer in their knowledge database; or was rude to you, that would be Bad customer service.

cciechad wrote:

This is a community forum, not many actual AT&T employees are on here, if they are, they're usually here to monitor the forum. 

All this forum does, is allows other AT&T customers such as myself to help you with a situation. And we're all generally saying that, this request is highly unlikely to happen; regardless of how much you don't like that outcome..

1. Just as wingrider01 said, it's more of a contract with Samsung and AT&T..

2. Doesn't matter what you plan to do with the phone once it's unlocked; all that matters is, it's bootloader is locked, whatever the reason.

3. My point was that this is a rare CALL for customer service representatives and tech support to have; and they should not and will not waste money on training for a call that is highly unlikely to occur. There are more money saving and money making calls that they need to focus on.

Honestly, if you're unhappy with this outcome, the AT&T Community Forum isn't the place to be; go to XDA-Developers forum or another developer's forum...

There is nothing more to be done on this thread; believe me, if I could have phones' bootloader exploited / unlocked, I'd be right with ya.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Wish I had seen this before. 15 year account with at&t. My whole family (7) lines total all had the onew m7 and have enjoyed unlocked boot loader benefits and the worderfull world of cyanogen mod. We purchased 5 s5's today and I come home to find out that it could be impossible to get bootloafer unlocked. Called the store and the guy told me to get the m8 and he would even unlock the bootloaders in the store for me if I don't cancel and he'd waive my upgrade fees. I've decided as great as that sounds, the s5 is what we wanted. We will be making the switch to T-Mobile tomorrow. I'm just done with this. And the icing on cake is that we spend almost $500 a month on At&t. And with Tmobile we get unlimited data back and save over a hundred bucks a month. At&t your fired!!!! A petition really needs to be started against them!!!!

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

christopherjones wrote: It's definitely a common misnomer to say it's bad customer service when you don't get what you want.
An example of Bad customer service, would be if the customer service representative didn't even try to find the answer in their knowledge database; or was rude to you, that would be Bad customer service.

Bad customer service is blaming the customer for a problem instead of listening to the request.

Bad customer service is dealing with problems in a draconian manner

Bad customer service is ignoring an issue because it only affects .01% of your customer base.

Bad customer service is telling the customer that you are doing something for their own good, when you are really doing it for your own good.

Bad customer service is showing blatant disregard for your customers because you think they are a small enough subset that the cost of hearing you out couldn't possibly be worth the cost of ignoring you. You don't have to do what everyone asks, but you have to treat them with respect and not be condescending and patronizing.

christopherjones wrote:

This is a community forum, not many actual AT&T employees are on here, if they are, they're usually here to monitor the forum.

All this forum does, is allows other AT&T customers such as myself to help you with a situation. And we're all generally saying that,this request is highly unlikely to happen; regardless of how much you don't like that outcome..

Yeah, whenever I'm bored, I liked to zealously defend a company that I'm not affiliated with on a forum, over a controversial decision, using the same talking points they happen to use.

This is what really bothers me about these types of threads. Here is someone complaining to AT&T about something they don't like. Whether they are justified or not, why do you feel the need to be the white knight for AT&T if you aren't even affiliated with them? By condescendingly telling them,

"Neener-neener-neeener, you're never going to get what you want so give up, loser. You should have read your contract! HA"

I'm not under contract, and I would re-sign if I could buy the phone I wanted with an unlocked bootloader, but you guys don't sell that, which means I will probably snag a nexus and leave as soon as a competent competitor can convince me that they want my business and are willing to provide it under fair terms at a fair price.

You can downplay this as much as you want to try and save face on your own forums, but that doesn't change the fact the people I know who are influenced by my opinion aren't even reading these forums before making purchasing decisions, they are asking people like me and then doing it (or not).

By your deflection of blame and downplaying the issue you might think you have cleverly squelched the "one out of a billion lol," but all you've really done is throw a rock at the bees nest.

You and Big Red almost finish off Sprint over and over, sometimes with Sprints help (lol WiMAX), and then you go and screw over 1% of your customers to increase your bottom line, and in this case, its like 0.1% probably, and you give them a chance to be the good guy and start gaining traction.

Well guess what, I don't disagree with any of the problems that you are trying to fix with your bootloader locking. Noobs bricking their phones, shifting all that burden to your warranty process, enterprise security, I get that. Except you guys are trying to fix a couple very specific problems that would be best fixed with a steady hand and a scalpel, by taking a sledgehammer to it and then doing damage control when you get the pushback from the customers who want to stay with you, but aren't willing to accept your draconian answer to everything.

You need people like us, the "tech" guys, the people who give the thumbs up or thumbs down when our less savvy friends ask for advice. I'm not suggesting that you give something away for free, or pay us all to shill for you, I'm saying there is a solution to these specific problems that you have stated you are trying to fix that don't involve restricting our ability to freely use our devices for legitimate purposes, and then patronizing/condescending when we voice our concerns.

(Unless you're not telling us everything and you have other motivations, like locking us into your bloatware ecosystem because you're seeing nothing but dollar signs, but you wouldn't admit that even if it were true, so lets pretend that it's not)

[Please keep it courteous]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.