Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Tutor

Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Att,

How about posting the sigining key for the AT&T S5 bootloader that you locked on the phone I just spent 650 dollars on? Also is what your support is telling customers correct? They are stating that if I buy a SIM unlock code this will also clear the bootloader lock? I'm guessing this is completely incorrect and that the AT&T customer support people have no idea what they are doing(I had to explain the difference between a bootloader and SIM unlock several dozen times). If someone doesn't come out with an exploit soon I'm going to return this piece of junk to AT&T and jump ship for T-Mobile(they respect their customers enough to not put some crap bootloader lock on a 650 dollar phone).

Thanks,

Chad

Message 1 of 37 (7,862 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

If you really Dev apps like your sig says Chris then you know the reason people want unlocked stuff.  I fail to realize why you are so hurt by people voicing there opinion.  I still hate Att and Verizon for not allowing Google wallet instead you get half baked isis. For the op there are carrier unlocked s5's that do have Att LTE bands.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 37 (7,243 Views)
Tutor

1. This is bull. I've queried Samsung and they say that the BL is locked at AT&T's request. If AT&T hadn't requested it be locked it would have shipped like the TMO model.

2. Not sure what you're saying here. I don't want to "reengineer" the phone I just want to upgrade the software. Same as I would do on a desktop or laptop.

3. I think you're just making up statistics here. I know for a fact that AT&T got more than one call about this Thursday of last week. Unless I'm crazy I doubt AT&T's customer service line got 2 billion calls on that day.

Also I've been an AT&T customer for over 15 years and all they have to do to satisfy me is email me a 256 or 128 charachter string which they have in their possesion. Since this costs them basically 0 there is no reason not to. This is simply atrocious customer service although thats basically what I've come to expect from AT&T.

Message 17 of 37 (7,223 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

cciechad wrote:

1. This is bull. I've queried Samsung and they say that the BL is locked at AT&T's request. If AT&T hadn't requested it be locked it would have shipped like the TMO model.

2. Not sure what you're saying here. I don't want to "reengineer" the phone I just want to upgrade the software. Same as I would do on a desktop or laptop.

3. I think you're just making up statistics here. I know for a fact that AT&T got more than one call about this Thursday of last week. Unless I'm crazy I doubt AT&T's customer service line got 2 billion calls on that day.

Also I've been an AT&T customer for over 15 years and all they have to do to satisfy me is email me a 256 or 128 charachter string which they have in their possesion. Since this costs them basically 0 there is no reason not to. This is simply atrocious customer service although thats basically what I've come to expect from AT&T.

which puts it in the contractual agreement for marketing the phone, pretty sure that knowlledge of "att requested it" is above the pay grade of technical support people, that stays at the corporate level at a lot higher pay grade.

Curious how you know that att got more then one call about the issue, besides they would have all recieved the same response, not possible at teir 1 customer service, with no offence to them, they are not technical support, the code is not available to them at that level.

Would make book on your last comment not happening at all, not getting what your want when it is against company policy is not bad customer service.

Message 18 of 37 (7,209 Views)
Highlighted

wingrider01 wrote:
.. not getting what your want when it is against company policy is not bad customer service.

It's definitely a common misnomer to say it's bad customer service when you don't get what you want.

An example of Bad customer service, would be if the customer service representative didn't even try to find the answer in their knowledge database; or was rude to you, that would be Bad customer service.

cciechad wrote:

This is a community forum, not many actual AT&T employees are on here, if they are, they're usually here to monitor the forum. 

All this forum does, is allows other AT&T customers such as myself to help you with a situation. And we're all generally saying that, this request is highly unlikely to happen; regardless of how much you don't like that outcome..

1. Just as wingrider01 said, it's more of a contract with Samsung and AT&T..

2. Doesn't matter what you plan to do with the phone once it's unlocked; all that matters is, it's bootloader is locked, whatever the reason.

3. My point was that this is a rare CALL for customer service representatives and tech support to have; and they should not and will not waste money on training for a call that is highly unlikely to occur. There are more money saving and money making calls that they need to focus on.

Honestly, if you're unhappy with this outcome, the AT&T Community Forum isn't the place to be; go to XDA-Developers forum or another developer's forum...

There is nothing more to be done on this thread; believe me, if I could have phones' bootloader exploited / unlocked, I'd be right with ya.

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
Message 19 of 37 (7,191 Views)
Contributor

Wish I had seen this before. 15 year account with at&t. My whole family (7) lines total all had the onew m7 and have enjoyed unlocked boot loader benefits and the worderfull world of cyanogen mod. We purchased 5 s5's today and I come home to find out that it could be impossible to get bootloafer unlocked. Called the store and the guy told me to get the m8 and he would even unlock the bootloaders in the store for me if I don't cancel and he'd waive my upgrade fees. I've decided as great as that sounds, the s5 is what we wanted. We will be making the switch to T-Mobile tomorrow. I'm just done with this. And the icing on cake is that we spend almost $500 a month on At&t. And with Tmobile we get unlimited data back and save over a hundred bucks a month. At&t your fired!!!! A petition really needs to be started against them!!!!
Message 20 of 37 (6,616 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
christopherjones wrote: It's definitely a common misnomer to say it's bad customer service when you don't get what you want.
An example of Bad customer service, would be if the customer service representative didn't even try to find the answer in their knowledge database; or was rude to you, that would be Bad customer service.

Bad customer service is blaming the customer for a problem instead of listening to the request.

Bad customer service is dealing with problems in a draconian manner

Bad customer service is ignoring an issue because it only affects .01% of your customer base.

Bad customer service is telling the customer that you are doing something for their own good, when you are really doing it for your own good.

Bad customer service is showing blatant disregard for your customers because you think they are a small enough subset that the cost of hearing you out couldn't possibly be worth the cost of ignoring you. You don't have to do what everyone asks, but you have to treat them with respect and not be condescending and patronizing.

christopherjones wrote:

This is a community forum, not many actual AT&T employees are on here, if they are, they're usually here to monitor the forum.

All this forum does, is allows other AT&T customers such as myself to help you with a situation. And we're all generally saying that,this request is highly unlikely to happen; regardless of how much you don't like that outcome..

Yeah, whenever I'm bored, I liked to zealously defend a company that I'm not affiliated with on a forum, over a controversial decision, using the same talking points they happen to use.

This is what really bothers me about these types of threads. Here is someone complaining to AT&T about something they don't like. Whether they are justified or not, why do you feel the need to be the white knight for AT&T if you aren't even affiliated with them? By condescendingly telling them,

"Neener-neener-neeener, you're never going to get what you want so give up, loser. You should have read your contract! HA"

I'm not under contract, and I would re-sign if I could buy the phone I wanted with an unlocked bootloader, but you guys don't sell that, which means I will probably snag a nexus and leave as soon as a competent competitor can convince me that they want my business and are willing to provide it under fair terms at a fair price.

You can downplay this as much as you want to try and save face on your own forums, but that doesn't change the fact the people I know who are influenced by my opinion aren't even reading these forums before making purchasing decisions, they are asking people like me and then doing it (or not).

By your deflection of blame and downplaying the issue you might think you have cleverly squelched the "one out of a billion lol," but all you've really done is throw a rock at the bees nest.

You and Big Red almost finish off Sprint over and over, sometimes with Sprints help (lol WiMAX), and then you go and screw over 1% of your customers to increase your bottom line, and in this case, its like 0.1% probably, and you give them a chance to be the good guy and start gaining traction.

Well guess what, I don't disagree with any of the problems that you are trying to fix with your bootloader locking. Noobs bricking their phones, shifting all that burden to your warranty process, enterprise security, I get that. Except you guys are trying to fix a couple very specific problems that would be best fixed with a steady hand and a scalpel, by taking a sledgehammer to it and then doing damage control when you get the pushback from the customers who want to stay with you, but aren't willing to accept your draconian answer to everything.

You need people like us, the "tech" guys, the people who give the thumbs up or thumbs down when our less savvy friends ask for advice. I'm not suggesting that you give something away for free, or pay us all to shill for you, I'm saying there is a solution to these specific problems that you have stated you are trying to fix that don't involve restricting our ability to freely use our devices for legitimate purposes, and then patronizing/condescending when we voice our concerns.

(Unless you're not telling us everything and you have other motivations, like locking us into your bloatware ecosystem because you're seeing nothing but dollar signs, but you wouldn't admit that even if it were true, so lets pretend that it's not)

[Please keep it courteous]

Message 21 of 37 (5,535 Views)
ACE - Professor

rfritzemeier wrote:

You need people like us, the "tech" guys, the people who give the thumbs up or thumbs down when our less savvy friends ask for advice.

Your less tech savvy friends don't need an unlocked bootloader.

The model is "appliance" not "homebrew computer" - these appliances do what their manufacturers want them to do. If that's what you want to do, great. If not, then this isn't the appliance for you.

This same appliance model exists for Apple iPhones. They seem to sell well enough, and work fine.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 37 (5,489 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
johninsj wrote:

Your less tech savvy friends don't need an unlocked bootloader.

No, they don't - and I would probably recommend an iPhone to them. From any carrier other than AT&T. You're welcome.

The model is "appliance" not "homebrew computer" - these appliances do what their manufacturers want them to do. If that's what you want to do, great. If not, then this isn't the appliance for you.

This same appliance model exists for Apple iPhones. They seem to sell well enough, and work fine.

Great logic - so you're saying "if the one size fits all logic works for the iPhone then it should work for everything else too." Nevermind the fact that I left the iPhone after the 3 because I don't want the one size fits all logic.

If Levi's were to make 46L jeans in blue and black, but only made 34's in black, if I'm not a 46L like the rest of this country, I should just be happy with my black jeans right? Shame on me for even asking why I can't have blue. Do you work for apple or AT&T? I don't even know why I bother posting anything here, since AT&T doesn't care and you are all AT&T employees anyway.

Oh, and PS, you're basically saying "If the carriers want to shove their bull bloatware software down your throat to extract more cash out of the deal, then that is their prerogative." And it absolutely is, although its a shortsighted business decision and ultimately a mistake. BP tried to run their business this way in the gulf, worked out well. Go ahead and dismiss me, this conversation is probably above your AT&T paygrade anyway. I'm done here, carry on AT&T employees.

Message 23 of 37 (5,462 Views)
ACE - Professor

No, I'm not saying anything like that at all.

I'm saying if you go to a store that sells blue widgets, and you want a yellow widget, the store isn't evil for not selling you a yellow widget.

You know you can go to a different store and get that yellow widget. If the store is happy selling blue widgets, and people who want blue widgets are happy with their blue widgets, then it's very likely that the store will continue selling blue widgets.

Message 24 of 37 (5,388 Views)
ACE - Master

The nexus smart phone program is dead . Google is going to release the silver series that ALL carriers will be required to sell. If the boot loader will be unlockable that is still not known. And why are u complaining about unlocked phones when the HTC one m8 is the same phone spec wise as the s5. Minus the stupid Knox crap
Message 25 of 37 (5,370 Views)
ACE - Expert

johninsj wrote:

No, I'm not saying anything like that at all.

I'm saying if you go to a store that sells blue widgets, and you want a yellow widget, the store isn't evil for not selling you a yellow widget.

You know you can go to a different store and get that yellow widget. If the store is happy selling blue widgets, and people who want blue widgets are happy with their blue widgets, then it's very likely that the store will continue selling blue widgets.

Bingo! That's exactly what I do — I buy service from AT&T, I buy my phones elsewhere. I haven't bought a phone from AT&T in over 10 years and I don't see that changing any time soon. AT&T can do what they want with the phones they sell — unlike with Verizon, I don't have to buy a phone from them, I can buy a phone elsewhere and put my SIM in it. The way I see it AT&T sells inferior product — why buy from them? They don't hide the fact that their product is inferior.

Unfortunately, the few people who don't like their inferior product are too few. AT&T doesn't care and doesn't have to — if all of us who don't like this practice go and buy our devices elsewhere, we won't even register as a speck of dust on their overall picture. Naturally for a big corporation they only take into account things that affect their bottom line. 

Message 26 of 37 (5,363 Views)
ACE - Master

If that was true the new plans would not be here. There are more byod people now than ever before. Att could careless where you get your phone from there not making big money off the devices. They want to sell you service. And with volte they get to sell you more data since the calls are routed over ip.
Message 27 of 37 (5,354 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Depends on your level of cynicism.

Having good customer service, more options, better service is a good way to lure new customer and keep exisitng customer, ie be competitive.

Having more customers translates to better profits.

As far as the other things, there's too much cheese.

Yes, AT&T has something that others don't, and vice versa. End of story.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 28 of 37 (5,345 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Well, im glad you guys think that diminishing options isn't a problem, looking at the app store reviews of the various malware/bloat AT&T forces upon their devices, I know there are plenty of frustrated folks, and that I'm not the only one.

I'm sure AT&T is banking on the fact that VZW is worse than they are to carry them through. Solid business model, throwing rocks at bears is all good as long as there's someone slower than you around; ask Circuit City how treating their employees that way worked out for them (internal shrinkruptcy more like it).

And I can't believe how you guys can all slurp up the koolaid that less is more and choices are bad, just because AT&T says so. 

And since their pricing model is built around subsidizing a phone every two years, if you pay 700 for your phone every time, you're basically giving them ( 250 * 2  ) * ( #phones / 2 years).

I love how the response to complaints about how AT&T is taking away choice by locking down more and more phones by saying "you know what phones are unlocked, buy those." 

Yeah, let me get teh htc with the 4mp camera. Or the nexus 5 thats already outdated. Wow, thank you for graciously allowing me two choices, you are most generous. Maybe next year, with the Nexus gone as well, I can then be graced by the choice of whatever HTC phone I am allowed to buy from AT&T, most gracious of all providers.

I'll take my money elsewhere and tell as many people as I can to do the same.

You aren't the only game in town, everyone's got decent LTE in the city these days, and I'm ready to just put my foot down and get the entire extended family on a different network even if i have to foot the inital bill myself. That's the only reason im stuck here. The cost of a dozen handsets is nothing compared to giving any more money to a company who has this much contempt for customers, and is willing to lie about their reasons for doing something, since there have been many offered solutions to these issues that don't eliminate customer choice; the reality is that they are paid to install bloat, and they don't want it to be removed. They want Isis to be my wallet and the AT&T store to be where i buy music and whatever other bloat they ram down my throat.

My cousin had the audacity of trying to load music on his external sd card and the phone kept freezing because the bloat was fighting over who got to control the music. Beautiful, good job guys.

Keep it up, I'm sure you guys can all be carrying identical phones with identical features and identical mandatory bloatware just like the iOS community (except their mandatory software isn't garbage) in no time. Choices are too much work amirite??!!!?!?!!?!

Do whatever you guys want, if the unwashed masses will continue to fall for this nonsense we've got bigger problems than cell phones or service providers; we'll WWE presidents and Gatorade ruling the united states of the world. And electrolytes; it's what plants crave.

Dear AT&T, I really want you to give away the pk and stop being dbags about it, but I am in no way a selfless person and I could be bought if you wanted to just send me an unlocked version instead. I'll give you the $200 and shut up until the contract is up,  I promise.

Message 29 of 37 (5,116 Views)
Teacher

loganic wrote:

Depends on your level of cynicism.

Having good customer service, more options, better service is a good way to lure new customer and keep exisitng customer, ie be competitive.

Having more customers translates to better profits.

As far as the other things, there's too much cheese.

Yes, AT&T has something that others don't, and vice versa. End of story.

-Alex

Better reign in de la vega's suck puppets before they show how much contempt he has for the people who pay his salary. 

They don't want customers like me apparently. Or any of the people who I influence. I guess we are too small to affect AT&T's bottom line. That's too bad, because all I want is the ability to void my own warranty and lock myslf out of enterprise features, which would be as easy as including a one way code in the box with my device that allows me to remove the bootloader encryption. 

None of the people who are clogging your warranty would get that far, adn if you made it all clear theyd have no leg to stand on even if they did. Make it a pain in the rear, i'd type in a dozen codes and fill out as many online busywork forms, because I know why I want it. 

Bottom line; its not about that, its about forcing your bloat down my throat because you aren't happy enough just taking my moeny, you want the bloat makers money too.

Message 30 of 37 (5,113 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.