Helpful Links

Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Tutor

Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

Att,

How about posting the sigining key for the AT&T S5 bootloader that you locked on the phone I just spent 650 dollars on? Also is what your support is telling customers correct? They are stating that if I buy a SIM unlock code this will also clear the bootloader lock? I'm guessing this is completely incorrect and that the AT&T customer support people have no idea what they are doing(I had to explain the difference between a bootloader and SIM unlock several dozen times). If someone doesn't come out with an exploit soon I'm going to return this piece of junk to AT&T and jump ship for T-Mobile(they respect their customers enough to not put some crap bootloader lock on a 650 dollar phone).

Thanks,

Chad

Message 1 of 37
ACE - Expert

Re: Signing key for AT&T S5 bootloader

your not going to get it so just return the phone.  If you want a good phone on att with and unlockable bootloader the HTC M8 is unlockable at htcdev.com.  The tmobile and sprint s5 seems to be the only unlocked bootloader right now.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 37
Tutor

Thanks man. I'm going to look at going over to TMobile I think (I have another week on my return window so I'll hold out another week hoping for an Android root exploit probably not going to happen as there havent been too many since android switched to enforcing mode for SELinux). AT&T is so stupid to go out of their way to annoy(I checked with Samsung the BL lock isn't default it has to be requested by the telco) and lose a fifteen year customer(as well as the IT guy for my group of friends I have influence over quite a few purchases) when all they need to do to satisfy me is post a 256 byte string that they have in their possession.

Message 3 of 37
Expert

cciechad wrote:

Thanks man. I'm going to look at going over to TMobile I think (I have another week on my return window so I'll hold out another week hoping for an Android root exploit probably not going to happen as there havent been too many since android switched to enforcing mode for SELinux). AT&T is so stupid to go out of their way to annoy(I checked with Samsung the BL lock isn't default it has to be requested by the telco) and lose a fifteen year customer(as well as the IT guy for my group of friends I have influence over quite a few purchases) when all they need to do to satisfy me is post a 256 byte string that they have in their possession.

the return period is 14 days, suspect you will find that lock at all providers

Message 4 of 37
Mentor

Hi,

If not already realised, these carriers are acting like Big Brother

and changing operating systems at will, features and the ability to use your phone

as you will. I have until August and I'm gone. I will buy an open market unlocked

phone  and use carriers that only provide the services I need to use MY phone as I want

to use it,

Ken

Message 5 of 37
Tutor

wingrider01 wrote:

I read on XDA that the TMobile version was confirmed to be unlocked. Also Verizon is nice enough to offer a developer edition phone that has the unlocked bootloader. Only ATT I believe in the US and Verizon although they offer the developer phone have locked bootloaders.

Message 6 of 37
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

NOPE that bootloader lock is only on att and verizon.  dont understand it either the htc m8 in unlockable on htcdev.com

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 37
Mentor

no,t-mobile  S5 is unlocked

Message 8 of 37
Tutor

That brings up another question. Why do they allow the M8 to be unlocked and not the S5. Are they just trying to be j-e-r-k-s or does one person at AT&T deal with HTC and another deals with Samsung?

Message 9 of 37
Tutor

I'm about to switch to T-Mobile too. I still have some time to return my S5. I'm beyond mad that they sold me a device with a locked bootloader. The only way that AT&T can satisfy me is if they unlock the bootloader. And on a side note, they should enable the download booster feature too.

Message 10 of 37
Highlighted

Chad,

How about doing research as to who assigned the locked bootloader onto the Samsung Galaxy S5 before purchasing the $650 phone?

Why would AT&T pay to train their CSR's as to what a Bootloader is when:

1. Not AT&T's area anyway (Samsung's)
  2. The phones aren't designed to be re-engineered
  3. 1 out of a billion calls would be related to this... why would they waste money on this.?

I hope that there isn't any exploit for the Bootloader just so that you are unable to modify the firmware. If you want to have it modified, do it yourself.

I also hope that you'd not think so irrationally, as customers like you need to think more critically and less illogically.

Thanks,

Me

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
Message 11 of 37
ACE - Expert

Chris

Nice, you come off like a att employee that hates there job.

It's att that is at fault here they encrypted the boot loader. All boot loaders are locked when the phones ship. 1 out of a billion your numbers are a little off. I would say they get more calls than you think. It's your shortside mind that thinks a phone you pay full price for should be controlled. Android is open source for a reason.
Message 12 of 37
Expert

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
Chris

Nice, you come off like a att employee that hates there job.

It's att that is at fault here they encrypted the boot loader. All boot loaders are locked when the phones ship. 1 out of a billion your numbers are a little off. I would say they get more calls than you think. It's your shortside mind that thinks a phone you pay full price for should be controlled. Android is open source for a reason.

If you read the signature block on his message you will understand that is is NOT a employee of ATT. If you also take the time to read my signature block you will understand that I also not a employee of att

Customer service is NOT technical support, they have no access to the technical systems, nor the trianing to be a technical support person.  the decision to make it a locked bootloader came down with the agreement between ATT and the manufacturer of teh device Just like te phone is locked to the ATT network even though you paid full price for it.

By the way when I pay full price for a cell device I make sure that I do not buy it from a carrier

Message 13 of 37
ACE - Expert

The mobile site does not show Sig blocks.

Also I know what I buy. With the m8 I knew I could unlock it. Mine is also SIM unlocked. But It is crappy of art to encrypt the bootloader
Message 14 of 37

Great. Well anyway... AT&T nor Samsung are going to go back on their original decision because of some griping.
and the only way that you're going to be able to unlock the bootloader is waiting for an exploit to be released.

Case closed... yeah?

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
Message 15 of 37
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support