Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Security breach??

Highlighted
Contributor

Security breach??

I walked into the room and picked up my phone. When I unlocked the screen it was a notification from the AT&T Transfer app stating "transfer complete".. I don't have a lock on my phone. I live simply and in the country. I'm nobody special with nothing to hide. So why or how could this happen, and how could it effect me? Any input is appreciated..

Chris 

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Security breach??

@Cjesse wrote:

I walked into the room and picked up my phone. When I unlocked the screen it was a notification from the AT&T Transfer app stating "transfer complete".. I don't have a lock on my phone. I live simply and in the country. I'm nobody special with nothing to hide. So why or how could this happen, and how could it effect me? Any input is appreciated..

Do you think the lock would have protected you? If you have no protection on your phone, I'm concerned what kind of passwords you use on-line...

Regardless, I'm sure you leave the house occasionally. It's time to turn it on.  

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Security breach??

According to the app instructions, the other device must be on the same wifi network and a security code from the “from” phone must be entered into the “to” phone. To me, that says someone must have access to both your phone and your WiFi network.

1. Connect your old phone and new phone to your Wi-Fi network. Then open up the AT&T Mobile Transfer app.
    • On your old phone: "From this phone" will pop up on the screen. Select it and follow the steps until you see a barcode code. You'll need it to make the transfer.
    •  On your new phone: when "To this phone" shows up on your screen, select it and follow the steps until you see a barcode reader.
  2. Scan the code on your old phone with the code reader on your new phone. This links both devices. Now follow the steps to transfer your info and you're done!
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support