Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 23, 2011
10:46:45 AM
View profile
Save contacts to phone...or SIM...is there a way to choose?

I'm still a bit ambivalent about this HTC Aria. I want to learn about Smartphones, but I have gotten frustrated time after time just getting the settings how I want them.

My present issue is that I press the phone button on the home page, which brings up my list of contacts...that part is cool.

Now, I look through my contacts and want to place different people into different groups. So I press Menu, then the Group icon.

I select a group and start adding contacts.

When done, I go back over my list of contacts...and I discover that I have missed a few people.

So I go back into People...and discover that some of the people that are on my contact list when I press Phone are not on the list when I press People. Why is this?

I can only think that some are saved differently...but I can't find an option for saving my contacts in different ways.

My old phone gave the option of saving to the SIM card or to the phone...this Aria either doesn't have that feature, or doesn't want me to find it....or perhaps it is just too "smart" for me...who knows??

Any help with this irritating little problem would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm still a bit ambivalent about this HTC Aria. I want to learn about Smartphones, but I have gotten frustrated time after time just getting the settings how I want them.

My present issue is that I press the phone button on the home page, which brings up my list of contacts...that part is cool.

Now, I look through my contacts and want to place different people into different groups. So I press Menu, then the Group icon.

I select a group and start adding contacts.

When done, I go back over my list of contacts...and I discover that I have missed a few people.

So I go back into People...and discover that some of the people that are on my contact list when I press Phone are not on the list when I press People. Why is this?

I can only think that some are saved differently...but I can't find an option for saving my contacts in different ways.

My old phone gave the option of saving to the SIM card or to the phone...this Aria either doesn't have that feature, or doesn't want me to find it....or perhaps it is just too "smart" for me...who knows??

Any help with this irritating little problem would be greatly appreciated!!

Save contacts to phone...or SIM...is there a way to choose?

14 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 11:37:05 AM
(0)
Expert

Jumping into Android can be a little daunting.  I have learned, however, that in some respects Google made things easier, provided you use their services.  If I were you, I would manage my contacts directly in Gmail so it can directly sync with your phone's contacts.  I would also advise doing this for your calendar entries.

Good luck.  Remember that this device is Google-centric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Jumping into Android can be a little daunting.  I have learned, however, that in some respects Google made things easier, provided you use their services.  If I were you, I would manage my contacts directly in Gmail so it can directly sync with your phone's contacts.  I would also advise doing this for your calendar entries.

Good luck.  Remember that this device is Google-centric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Re: Save contacts to phone...or SIM...is there a way to choose?

2 of 15 (13,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 1:43:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info. I'm really not sure how to manage contacts in Gmail...but I imagine I could figure it out. I'm a bit leery of synching with Gmail, because initially I synched with Facebook...and it put some of my fb contacts in my contact list...but I didn't want them to be there, because I surely wasn't planning ever to call them! The only way to get them out then was to unsynch, which I did.

I suppose tho that I would be in control of who was in my contact list, so it probably wouldn't be such an issue.

I don't have any calendar entries at present, but I may have in the future, so I will try to remember that bit of advice...and also the part about it being Google-centric. I hadn't really thought of it that way. And yes, definitely daunting!!...lol...but I'm sure I will do better when I have a little more time to spend on learning it better.

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the info. I'm really not sure how to manage contacts in Gmail...but I imagine I could figure it out. I'm a bit leery of synching with Gmail, because initially I synched with Facebook...and it put some of my fb contacts in my contact list...but I didn't want them to be there, because I surely wasn't planning ever to call them! The only way to get them out then was to unsynch, which I did.

I suppose tho that I would be in control of who was in my contact list, so it probably wouldn't be such an issue.

I don't have any calendar entries at present, but I may have in the future, so I will try to remember that bit of advice...and also the part about it being Google-centric. I hadn't really thought of it that way. And yes, definitely daunting!!...lol...but I'm sure I will do better when I have a little more time to spend on learning it better.

3 of 15 (13,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 7:12:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Mar 24, 2011 at 7:21:01 AM

moon333 wrote:

Not sure about the Aria, but on my HTC phone (Desire Z), when you setup Facebook, it specifically asks if you want  your FB friends synched with your contacts.   You just ansower "No" and you're all set.

Of course Android is Google-centric.  Its owned and developed by Google.  They don't really heavily market Android as such, but its the Google phone, make no mistake.  If you use Gmail, and otherwise live in Google's applications, Android is amazing.  No more saving contacts to the SIM.  Its pointless, since it only supports short name lengths, doesn't support multiple phone numbers for contacts (or labelling them Home phone, cell, etc.), home addresses email addresses, etc.  In the past, the smartphone alternative was to sync to something like MS Outlook.  Now with Google, if you are on Gmail, you basically have to do nothing.  When you buy a new Android phone, just enter your Google login and password during the setup when you first power up the phone, and within a couple minutes, all your contacts, email, and calendar appointments are just THERE.  Even all your Market apps will start to be installed, and your Google books downloaded (and synced to where you left off reading), if you use those things.

The previous recommendation to manage your contacts directly on Gmail on your PC is a good one.  Like many things, its just faster and less cumbersome than trying to do it right o the phone.  Managing contacts in Gmail from your PC is incredibly easy.  Just click "Contacts" on the upper left of the screen.  You will see all your contacts.  To add contacts to a group, just check the box next to their name, and select "Groups" near the top, and pick the appropriate group you want to add them too (or create a new group).

If you don't currently use any type of Calendar app (no work requirements, etc.), I highly recommend using Google Calendar.  Just access by hitting "Calendar" at the upper left of the screen when in Gmail.  Its really well done (like most Google products).  Just click on dates to enter appointments, drag and drop to move them, etc.  Works the way you wished that other calendar software would.  No need to even enter seperate fields for start/stop time.  Just type something like "9am-10am Meeting" as one line in the input field, and Google Calendar automatically distiguishes the start and stop time and description.  Then, as long as you indicate in the settings to do so, your calendar will be synched to your Android phone automatically, including popup reminders/notifications on your phone (if you want them).  Plus, if you have significant other, etc. that you want to share your calendar with, Google Calendar is super handy.  Their appointments will show up on your calendar, but as a different color, and you can turn them off/on at will.   My wife and I share calendars, so we always know when the other has a work trip, doctors appointments for the baby, etc.

moon333 wrote:

Not sure about the Aria, but on my HTC phone (Desire Z), when you setup Facebook, it specifically asks if you want  your FB friends synched with your contacts.   You just ansower "No" and you're all set.

Of course Android is Google-centric.  Its owned and developed by Google.  They don't really heavily market Android as such, but its the Google phone, make no mistake.  If you use Gmail, and otherwise live in Google's applications, Android is amazing.  No more saving contacts to the SIM.  Its pointless, since it only supports short name lengths, doesn't support multiple phone numbers for contacts (or labelling them Home phone, cell, etc.), home addresses email addresses, etc.  In the past, the smartphone alternative was to sync to something like MS Outlook.  Now with Google, if you are on Gmail, you basically have to do nothing.  When you buy a new Android phone, just enter your Google login and password during the setup when you first power up the phone, and within a couple minutes, all your contacts, email, and calendar appointments are just THERE.  Even all your Market apps will start to be installed, and your Google books downloaded (and synced to where you left off reading), if you use those things.

The previous recommendation to manage your contacts directly on Gmail on your PC is a good one.  Like many things, its just faster and less cumbersome than trying to do it right o the phone.  Managing contacts in Gmail from your PC is incredibly easy.  Just click "Contacts" on the upper left of the screen.  You will see all your contacts.  To add contacts to a group, just check the box next to their name, and select "Groups" near the top, and pick the appropriate group you want to add them too (or create a new group).

If you don't currently use any type of Calendar app (no work requirements, etc.), I highly recommend using Google Calendar.  Just access by hitting "Calendar" at the upper left of the screen when in Gmail.  Its really well done (like most Google products).  Just click on dates to enter appointments, drag and drop to move them, etc.  Works the way you wished that other calendar software would.  No need to even enter seperate fields for start/stop time.  Just type something like "9am-10am Meeting" as one line in the input field, and Google Calendar automatically distiguishes the start and stop time and description.  Then, as long as you indicate in the settings to do so, your calendar will be synched to your Android phone automatically, including popup reminders/notifications on your phone (if you want them).  Plus, if you have significant other, etc. that you want to share your calendar with, Google Calendar is super handy.  Their appointments will show up on your calendar, but as a different color, and you can turn them off/on at will.   My wife and I share calendars, so we always know when the other has a work trip, doctors appointments for the baby, etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 15 (13,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 11:33:59 AM
(0)
Expert

In Gmail, I created a contact list called "Phone" and only included contacts that have phone numbers.  This is how I keep Phone contacts separate from regular email contacts.  Hope this helps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

In Gmail, I created a contact list called "Phone" and only included contacts that have phone numbers.  This is how I keep Phone contacts separate from regular email contacts.  Hope this helps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

5 of 15 (13,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 3:41:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

That is just too cool about how the calendar works....almost makes me wish I did have a significant other to synch it with!...lol

I really appreciate all the input. I'm old and slow, but I want to know more, always want to learn...and technology is only getting more complex (not necessarily to use, but the internals, the ability to do more things, etc). My son had an android briefly while training for a job, and he was soooo nuts about it that I thought, "why not?". I'm about to get my computer repair degree, which means that soon I will actually have time to play around with a phone that can do more than my old one.

And I really should make a contact list in gmail. When I did that update for 2.2 ROM, it wiped out my contacts in my phone, so I had to put them back in with my old SIM card...and then go fine-tune everything again. Not a big issue, plus gave me more experience....butttt, it's much nicer to have a fast way to recover the data.....and it's left me wondering about possible future updates, so I will work on that...right after my next Algebra test!...lol

I am liking the phone more little by little, even tho I DO keep getting stumped by the darnedest things...but I will save that for a different post.

Thanks again for all the info!!

That is just too cool about how the calendar works....almost makes me wish I did have a significant other to synch it with!...lol

I really appreciate all the input. I'm old and slow, but I want to know more, always want to learn...and technology is only getting more complex (not necessarily to use, but the internals, the ability to do more things, etc). My son had an android briefly while training for a job, and he was soooo nuts about it that I thought, "why not?". I'm about to get my computer repair degree, which means that soon I will actually have time to play around with a phone that can do more than my old one.

And I really should make a contact list in gmail. When I did that update for 2.2 ROM, it wiped out my contacts in my phone, so I had to put them back in with my old SIM card...and then go fine-tune everything again. Not a big issue, plus gave me more experience....butttt, it's much nicer to have a fast way to recover the data.....and it's left me wondering about possible future updates, so I will work on that...right after my next Algebra test!...lol

I am liking the phone more little by little, even tho I DO keep getting stumped by the darnedest things...but I will save that for a different post.

Thanks again for all the info!!

6 of 15 (13,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 3:42:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

I love that idea...you are a genius!...Smiley Wink I'll work on that as soon as I have a little time to spare. Thanks much for the info!

I love that idea...you are a genius!...Smiley Wink I'll work on that as soon as I have a little time to spare. Thanks much for the info!

7 of 15 (13,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 7:06:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:07:09 AM

You basically have a computer in your pocket now, with its own unique operating system.  So there is of course going to be some learning curve to it.  Don't worry, just spend some time getting familiar, and it will be second nature in no time.  This is my 3rd smartphone (but my first Android phone).  Even being familiar with smartphones, it took me a bit of time to remember where many of the settings are in Android, and how to do certain things.

If you get stuck on something, you can alway ask on here, of course.  I've figured out lots about Android just by Googling around, also.

And you're never too old to learn some new tricks.  My mother in law never fails to amaze.  She is always texting my wife on her Blackberry, and sent us a link to the latest flashmob video on YouTube before we even knew what a "flashmob" was!

You basically have a computer in your pocket now, with its own unique operating system.  So there is of course going to be some learning curve to it.  Don't worry, just spend some time getting familiar, and it will be second nature in no time.  This is my 3rd smartphone (but my first Android phone).  Even being familiar with smartphones, it took me a bit of time to remember where many of the settings are in Android, and how to do certain things.

If you get stuck on something, you can alway ask on here, of course.  I've figured out lots about Android just by Googling around, also.

And you're never too old to learn some new tricks.  My mother in law never fails to amaze.  She is always texting my wife on her Blackberry, and sent us a link to the latest flashmob video on YouTube before we even knew what a "flashmob" was!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
8 of 15 (13,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 5:19:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

I currently use Outlook 2003 to manage Contacts. Outlook gives you the option to display (on the PC or Cellphone) by individual name or company name. I also have my company email forwarded to my cloud gmail account in order to have access to email anywhere. The only reason I haven't moved my contacts to gmail is I haven't been able to find a way to display multiple contacts from the same company, together, in gmail contacts. In some cases, I have as many as 5 or more contacts from the same company with multiple addresses and multiple phone and fax numbers and, I probably have 300 companies in my contact list (1200 individual contacts or more). My memory is pretty good for an old geezer, however, I can't always remember the name of a guy I dealt with 5 years ago, but, I usually can remember the company name. Is there some tool in gmail that gives me the option to display multiple contacts by company name? Outlook allows you to display contacts by first name, last name, company name, location by state, location by address, area code, etc........ . I really want to get the Inspire, but this issue has held me back.

I currently use Outlook 2003 to manage Contacts. Outlook gives you the option to display (on the PC or Cellphone) by individual name or company name. I also have my company email forwarded to my cloud gmail account in order to have access to email anywhere. The only reason I haven't moved my contacts to gmail is I haven't been able to find a way to display multiple contacts from the same company, together, in gmail contacts. In some cases, I have as many as 5 or more contacts from the same company with multiple addresses and multiple phone and fax numbers and, I probably have 300 companies in my contact list (1200 individual contacts or more). My memory is pretty good for an old geezer, however, I can't always remember the name of a guy I dealt with 5 years ago, but, I usually can remember the company name. Is there some tool in gmail that gives me the option to display multiple contacts by company name? Outlook allows you to display contacts by first name, last name, company name, location by state, location by address, area code, etc........ . I really want to get the Inspire, but this issue has held me back.

9 of 15 (13,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 10:27:47 AM
(0)
Master
@cchammer
With the HTC phones, you can easily access any groups you create in gmail contacts. I am positive, but I think you can also search through the dialer the company name.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
@cchammer
With the HTC phones, you can easily access any groups you create in gmail contacts. I am positive, but I think you can also search through the dialer the company name.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

10 of 15 (13,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 3:07:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ann154,

You are correct!!! I just went to gmail on my laptop, clicked on contacts, and in the search box (CLEARLY MARKED 'SEARCH CONTACTS')Smiley Wink, typed "Baton Rouge" and low and behold .... all of my contacts for Baton Rouge, La. came up in alphabetical order. I then searched by company name and ...... all 15 contacts I have for that company popped up in alphabetical order. That's why You are the "Senior Player" and I'm just a "Probie". If it works on the phone the same way ..... I'll be an HTC Inspire owner by in the morning!!! Thanks for the epiphany!

Sincerely,

cchammer

Ann154,

You are correct!!! I just went to gmail on my laptop, clicked on contacts, and in the search box (CLEARLY MARKED 'SEARCH CONTACTS')Smiley Wink, typed "Baton Rouge" and low and behold .... all of my contacts for Baton Rouge, La. came up in alphabetical order. I then searched by company name and ...... all 15 contacts I have for that company popped up in alphabetical order. That's why You are the "Senior Player" and I'm just a "Probie". If it works on the phone the same way ..... I'll be an HTC Inspire owner by in the morning!!! Thanks for the epiphany!

Sincerely,

cchammer

11 of 15 (12,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 3:31:37 PM
(0)
Master
I will double check the dialer search on an HTC Aria when I get access to one tonight.
I will double check the dialer search on an HTC Aria when I get access to one tonight.

12 of 15 (12,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 5:27:40 PM
(0)
Master
Okay. I couldn't get the dialer to search for the company name on an HTC Aria. It would search by any part of the name, first or last. I did have luck with the search button once I changed the settings. Settings > search > phone section > searchable items > cleared almost every checkmark except contacts and voice search history.

I do use the "Groups" section of the People app more than search. I created groups based on how I need to relate to different contacts. There is Family of course, Friends. However I do have to deal with a company that is spread over a large area. Employees are split into their divisions per the company organization. Suppliers are in a different section. You could have endless groups breaking down as needed to help organize the contacts.

If you use exchange email and contacts, that could be another level of detail from your personal information.
Okay. I couldn't get the dialer to search for the company name on an HTC Aria. It would search by any part of the name, first or last. I did have luck with the search button once I changed the settings. Settings > search > phone section > searchable items > cleared almost every checkmark except contacts and voice search history.

I do use the "Groups" section of the People app more than search. I created groups based on how I need to relate to different contacts. There is Family of course, Friends. However I do have to deal with a company that is spread over a large area. Employees are split into their divisions per the company organization. Suppliers are in a different section. You could have endless groups breaking down as needed to help organize the contacts.

If you use exchange email and contacts, that could be another level of detail from your personal information.

13 of 15 (12,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 2:26:54 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Jun 13, 2013 at 4:58:00 AM

If you registered your google account on your droid then all your contacts are safe on goggles servers.
If you got a replacement android phone your contacts will be restored.
A quick way to check if your contacts are stored is to log in to your gmail account and on the left hand side there is a link for contacts. check if theyre there.

Check more from: {commercial link removed}

If you registered your google account on your droid then all your contacts are safe on goggles servers.
If you got a replacement android phone your contacts will be restored.
A quick way to check if your contacts are stored is to log in to your gmail account and on the left hand side there is a link for contacts. check if theyre there.

Check more from: {commercial link removed}

[ Edited ]
14 of 15 (6,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 7:48:03 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

15 of 15 (6,170 Views)