The Samsung Galaxy S24
bcapo's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, June 6th, 2013 5:31 PM

Samsung S3 -- "No SIM card" error message

I am getting the 'No Sim card error' on on my new Samsung S3 similar to the error on HTC One phones.

It happens at random times.  The phone appears to continue to operate in the background but pretty much all functionality is restricted until I hit the 'restart' button on the popup message causing a full reboot.

I tried replacing the sim card with no luck. Then I replaced the phone and got the error again within a day.

Yesterday ATT tech support and Samsung tech support directed me to the local ATT warranty/repair shop to get a SW update that isn't available over Kies. When I got there I was told there is no SW update from Android JB 4.1.1 for the S3.  The ATT repair shop suggested the Sim card I have supports the extra security measures of NFC and ISIS wallet and that might be causing my issue. He convince me to switch to a SIM card that didn't have the extra security and therefore no ISIS Wallet support.  He said the ATT store where I purchased the phone should have told me there was an option in SIM cards. Now have a phone with somewhat limited ability.

So when I called ATT tech support and Samsung tech again they weren't aware of my specific issue or any SW update being available. So I am back to square one.  

Samsung tech support suggested trying a different ATT store so I can get a different batch of phone and sim card since the first two phones and sim cards where from the same store within a few days.  Maybe it was a bad batch of phones and/or sim cards. I am withing the first 14day window so I can switch the phone out without issues but the window is closing very soon.

Anyone experiencing a similar issue?

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

bcapo,

This is quite unusual. The first suggestion of course would be a new sim, second choice would be a different phone, it seems you have tried both. It could be a setting that is off, or for some strange reason an app that is causing this issue? Did you reload all you original apps from the first phone to the second phone?

James

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I did reload the few apps on the new phone (iheart, facebook, beyondpod, waze, lookout, jogtracker, tunein)

I just left the ATT store (again) and they restored my ISIS sim card so I could use that app. They would not swap out the phone until I get the simcard error (again). I was told they can't troubleshoot the issue until they see the error even though I already had the error on this phone.

ATT tech support just called me back (person following up from yesterday) and said that I could go to a Best Buy Samsung booth to have them reflash 4.1.1 back in based on confirming with Samsung that it might help to 'cleanup' the factory installed image on phone and possibly fix simcard issue.  I  will try that tonight.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

The saga continues.  I went to Best Buy and they did some sw updates but did not reflash it.  They couldn't tell me exactly what was updated but it wasn't the OS components because all the versions/builds on the 'about page' on the phone didn't change.

Then this morning on the way to work - BANG - "SIM card removed" error.

So I guess I need to try fully reflashing the whole device with 4.1.1 (same as I have now). Can't I do that myself with Samsung Kies SW vs. going to Best Buy or ATT tech support office?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Just to be clear this is the pop-up message on the phone that I am getting. The phone is pretty much useless until I hit "Restart" although it appears the phone continues to run in the background.  I was able to take a screen capture.

SIM_card_removed.png

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Got my S3 fully reflashed to Android 4.1.1 on Friday at the Samsung experience booth in my local Best Buy. It is now Sunday and so far so good. I have not re-installed a few apps though: Waze (soon to be a Google product), TuneIn, and JogTracker not installed. I did re-install iHeart, Facebook and BeyondPod.  I am wondering if Waze and Android 4.1.1 didn't play well together.  If I go a few more days without the error I might try to install Waze and see if I get the 'SIM card removed' error to know it was that app that caused all my pain.

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

bcapo,

Sorry you had to go through multiple phones and sims to enjoy your Galaxy S III, I'm glad things seem to finally be running smoothly. That sounds like a great idea in waiting a few more days before installing another previously installed app, please let us know if you have any further trouble once installing.

James

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

So I have reinstalled all previously installed apps after reflashing my S3 to Android 4.1.1. It has been almost 2 days and no 'Sim Card removed' error.  So maybe reflashing helped my problem. I will give it a couple more days before I call it good.

This is one more thing that I did on my phone last week when I got the error.  I turned off Wifi Power save mode.  So in a few days without any errors I will test turning off Wifi power safe mode to see if I get the SIM card removed error again to see if that was the cause of my problems.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Ok. It has been about 10days with all my previous apps installed and I got the "SIM card removed" error again today.  I didn't touch 'Wifi Power save mode' like I was going to.  So the mystery continues.  

A developer on the Android project did re-open an issue dealing with the popup error occuring and only allowing the user to restart.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=55506

So maybe there is truly a bug in the android code that occurs on some platforms with certain applications.  We shall see if future versions of Android address this issue.

You can force the popup error if you just bump the SIM card in and out a few times if you have access to it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

try put couple or more layer of clear tape ontop of the sim card and trim it.. worked for me and should work any samsung that has a sim card error.. i guess its the manufactured error.. good luck!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I have only got the Sim card removed error that one time in the last several weeks so I hope not to do the 'bandaid' tape on the SIM card fix.  I would hope Samsung, Android and/or ATT will fix the problem but I am not holding my breath.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.