Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 31, 2011
2:18:50 PM
Samsung GalaxyS sgh-i897

I'm trying to figure out how to take off the battery cover. I don't have my manual. I've found many manuals on the web but they are not like mine. They have a botton panel on the back that slides down..mine doesn't. Does anyone have one like mine? Or know how to take off the back cover?

Thanks

I'm trying to figure out how to take off the battery cover. I don't have my manual. I've found many manuals on the web but they are not like mine. They have a botton panel on the back that slides down..mine doesn't. Does anyone have one like mine? Or know how to take off the back cover?

Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 1, 2011 7:31:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

DOH!, you are all correct. Do I feel like a dummy. I had an Otterbox installed on it immdediately after buying the phone and it was the inner hard case I was thinking was the phone. I really need to get my glasses upgraded. Anyways, I got the hard case off and you're absolutely right, I see the bottom panel that slides down.

I'm doing all this to try and upgrade to Android 2.2.

I've read some things where some folks had problems with it hanging up. Has anyone upgraded and been successful?

Thanks for all the info Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

Samsung GalaxyS sgh-i897

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 31, 2011 2:56:36 PM
(0)
Master

The bottom plastic portion of the back slides down so that you can pick the metal back plate off.

The bottom plastic portion of the back slides down so that you can pick the metal back plate off.

Re: Samsung GalaxyS sgh-i897

2 of 9 (5,428 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 7:45:49 PM
(0)
Master

Right. The plastic lower panel just slides right down.

Here are some step-by-step instructions if you are still having trouble. They are particularly intended for SIM card removal/installation, but it all works in the same way.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/solutionDisplay.jsp?solutionId=KB110793

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Right. The plastic lower panel just slides right down.

Here are some step-by-step instructions if you are still having trouble. They are particularly intended for SIM card removal/installation, but it all works in the same way.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/solutionDisplay.jsp?solutionId=KB110793

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

3 of 9 (5,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 6:24:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by bgorilla on Apr 1, 2011 at 6:31:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. But I've seen manuals showing how on some models the botton (smaller) panel slided down and the battery cover lifts up as shown in your link. I must have a different model because mine doesn't have separate panels on the back. It is just one long/solid panel. Down at the botton of the phone it appears that that is the place where it is taken off. I just can't figure out how to do it.

Was there another model of the  Samsung sgh-i897? I got this at the A&T store.

It also has a hole (looks like a jack but might be used to release back cover) on the bottom of the phone that I don't know what it is because I can't find my manual.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the reply. But I've seen manuals showing how on some models the botton (smaller) panel slided down and the battery cover lifts up as shown in your link. I must have a different model because mine doesn't have separate panels on the back. It is just one long/solid panel. Down at the botton of the phone it appears that that is the place where it is taken off. I just can't figure out how to do it.

Was there another model of the  Samsung sgh-i897? I got this at the A&T store.

It also has a hole (looks like a jack but might be used to release back cover) on the bottom of the phone that I don't know what it is because I can't find my manual.

Thanks for your help

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (5,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 6:55:38 AM
(0)
Professor

There is only one version of the SGH-I897. If your phone doesn't look like this it's not a Captivate.

There is only one version of the SGH-I897. If your phone doesn't look like this it's not a Captivate.

5 of 9 (5,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 7:00:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

Some quick searching shows that at least in the US the other versions of the Galaxy S have a full cover, instead of being described how it works on the Captivate. This would mean that this phone is not an AT&T branded Galaxy S. The others have the full cover on the back.

Side note, after looking at the others, I do LOVE how our Captivates cover works a lot better.

Some quick searching shows that at least in the US the other versions of the Galaxy S have a full cover, instead of being described how it works on the Captivate. This would mean that this phone is not an AT&T branded Galaxy S. The others have the full cover on the back.

Side note, after looking at the others, I do LOVE how our Captivates cover works a lot better.

6 of 9 (5,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 1, 2011 7:31:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

DOH!, you are all correct. Do I feel like a dummy. I had an Otterbox installed on it immdediately after buying the phone and it was the inner hard case I was thinking was the phone. I really need to get my glasses upgraded. Anyways, I got the hard case off and you're absolutely right, I see the bottom panel that slides down.

I've read some things where some folks had problems with it hanging up. Has anyone upgraded and been successful?

7 of 9 (5,301 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 8:16:34 AM
(0)
Professor

Why would you need to take the back cover off to upgrade to 2.2? I and everyone I know that has a Captivate upgraded without any problems.

Why would you need to take the back cover off to upgrade to 2.2? I and everyone I know that has a Captivate upgraded without any problems.

8 of 9 (5,293 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2011 8:22:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

In the email I got from AT&T, I followed the link to...

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PRO...

Which has instructions for upgrading to 2.2. In the instructions (Step 3) it says at one point to power down the phone and take the battery out, then back in.

Is there an easier way to upgrade? I'd sure like to find one because following these instructions are a lot of steps and they could be a little more detailed/clearer. I'm afraid of hosing up my phone.

Thanks

In the email I got from AT&T, I followed the link to...

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PROD_ID=558&AT_ID=368733

Which has instructions for upgrading to 2.2. In the instructions (Step 3) it says at one point to power down the phone and take the battery out, then back in.

Is there an easier way to upgrade? I'd sure like to find one because following these instructions are a lot of steps and they could be a little more detailed/clearer. I'm afraid of hosing up my phone.

Thanks

9 of 9 (5,285 Views)