The Samsung Galaxy S24
bmoye70's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 9:54 PM

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 ICS Update?

Well lo and behold. Let's see what this is. It seems like AT&T is doing it again. I have the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket which got the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update after about 9 months of it being released.

Now I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with the 4G LTE. I use this all the time for work, play, etc. Honeycomb 3.2 totally sucks as an interface. When is AT&T going to come out with Ice Cream Sandwich for this tablet? The WIFI version has it already and has for about a month or more now.

Come on AT&T and get with the program. I paid good money for this tablet and I pay the monthly data plan. The least you can do is provide an update, or heck, even HINT about when the update will be. But you can't even do that.

Some information would be nice to get from you. I have been with your company for 5 good years after leaving and coming back. Next time I leave it will be for good. There isn't any reason why this release should not have been out by now. You have had plenty of time.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

I just came across this, but not sure if it works.  Has anyone tried updating via Kies?

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB416466&cv=821&ct=9001882&pv=2#fbid=msctchv166D

Here's my story:

Bought a refurb 8.9 online at $199 and just got it today, fully aware that it comes with Honeycomb and that the update to ICS is in the works. Where has AT&T promised or guaranteed that ICS would be coming at a specific date for this tablet?  Nowhere.  So why would AT&T have any influence on the release?  It'll be done whenever Samsung finishes testing and has a stable version ready for release. Period. 

The tablet I got seems to be defective because it can't keep a consistent connection with the cellular network.  Wi-Fi works fine. My iPhone 5 and iPad 2 have no problems connecting to the cellular network.

I went ahead and tried to update via Kies, which is made by Samsung, and the tablet cannot connect to it.  It just constantly spins 'Connecting...' in the software.  I went through all the troubleshooting steps in Kies, and even tried Kies on both Mac and Windows. 

After hours of working with it, including doing a factory reset, I concluded something is wrong with the tablet. No biggie - I took a chance on a refurb, and it's a lemon.

Seeing as how I have 14 days, I went ahead and called AT&T to do an exchange.  No problem whatsoever.  A 'new' refurb is being shipped to me (hopefully not another lemon), and I'll be shipping this clunker back with the free postage paid return label that was included, and no restocking fee since the tab is defective. And if it is defective? I'll return it again and get my mom a different tablet.

So my point in all this is that AT&T has done nothing to warrant any animosity from me.  Samsung, however, is on it's 2nd strike. But I'm not too upset because I understand defective products exist. It's how a company responds to it that's key, and AT&T has been excellent on that front.  Just wanted to provide a counter point because it seems those here that are upset are really just upset at something that AT&T never promised in the first place.  Plus there is a 14-day return period.  If you couldn't figure out things like you'd be using it mostly on wi-fi instead of the cell network within that period, then the blame is squarely on you.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

1) My Table has AT&T and Samsung's name on it. 

Yes, AT&T is on it because you have the model that specifically uses its data network.  That's all.  The tablet was made wholly by Samsung.  

2) I pay AT&T for services every month.  Implied in that payment is technical support.

The technical support is for the data service, not the tablet.  2 totally sepearate things.  It's like if your TV breaks and you blame your cable company or the store you bought it from.  If it's beyond the store's 30-day return policy, you'd have to deal with the TV manufacturers warranty.Now if you were paying the 6.99 insurance plan, that'd be a different story - however I don't think that covers a device not getting an update that was never promised in the first place and is actually still in the works.

3) AT&T can't support the Tablet themselves.  (AT&T has Samsung on the line twice in previous support calls)

Of course they can't.  While they have general knowledge of the devices, do you think they can support the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of different devices that come from dozens of different manufacturers? And isn't actually a good thing they brought on a Samsung person rather than just said sorry, go call Samsung? While they may not have the answer themselves, at least they did their best to route you to someone who they thought would.

4) I have never contacted Samsung on my own.

You called the number that showed up on your Samsung device and it ended up being Samsung. Not sure how AT&T was involved with that.

5) Yes, I understand you are frustrated with your experience, but I'm just posting this respectful rebuttal because being someone who worked as a customer service rep in the past myself, I can see the other side of this as well.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Woo-hoo!  ICS is finally here for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (SGH-i957).  The update can't be done over the air, you have to use Kies:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00051792&fm_seq=57396

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

OK, so that's really nice a year and a half late............NOW I WANT JELLY BEAN!!!!  Cat Sad  It's been out for for half a year now.  LOL.  Anyone think that will ever happen?

I am going to dust the cob-webs off my 8.9 Tab that I am stuck paying a monthly charge for and see if I can get some use out of it now.  Stay tuned. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I did the update this morning.  Worked without a hitch.  FINALLY!

I love the improvements and Chrome is the default browser.  Syncs with my desktop, and laptop.  This was the most important part of the update as many of the browser-based applications that I used daily would not work well with the old version.  

I have no expectations of receiving Jelly Bean.  This upgrade will hold me over until I decide on a new tablet with a faster processor, etc.

Thanks AT&T.  Better late than never.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

Anybody gettinga message within Kies that says your device does not support updates via Kies?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

yes i am getting that also I would love an update or fix

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

update doesn't work, its not me, I've done a half dozen updates on Kies. Samsung hasn't been a lot of help so far, but I'm still tweeting with them. so we shall see.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

I have been tweeting with samsung, they don't know why it didn't work. They suggested I get of a mac and use a PC. I only have mac so that won't work. They alsoo suggested going to the device center at att to have the sofware updated. I wnet by and they were nice, but they don't have any way to do firmware updates on tablets, just phones. So no luck...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.