The Samsung Galaxy S24
bmoye70's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 9:54 PM

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 ICS Update?

Well lo and behold. Let's see what this is. It seems like AT&T is doing it again. I have the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket which got the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update after about 9 months of it being released.

Now I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with the 4G LTE. I use this all the time for work, play, etc. Honeycomb 3.2 totally sucks as an interface. When is AT&T going to come out with Ice Cream Sandwich for this tablet? The WIFI version has it already and has for about a month or more now.

Come on AT&T and get with the program. I paid good money for this tablet and I pay the monthly data plan. The least you can do is provide an update, or heck, even HINT about when the update will be. But you can't even do that.

Some information would be nice to get from you. I have been with your company for 5 good years after leaving and coming back. Next time I leave it will be for good. There isn't any reason why this release should not have been out by now. You have had plenty of time.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Want to add my frustrations to the list.  Have spent almost four hours on the phone with AT&T to get a resolution.  Bought my tablet in December of last year.  Overall I love it, but the browser (the heart) is flaky and does a poor job on many sites that I use.  

I've tried in good faith to get an answer to the questions a) will my tablet be updated and b) WHEN?  If it's not going to be updated, there's no incentive for me to keep paying the monthly fee as it frustrates me greatly to use it.

The first time I was on the phone with AT&T, they pointed the finger at Samsung and said "we (AT&T) have no idea when your tablet will receive an update."  C'mon AT&T, you're telling me that you are helpless and don't even have a phone number of someone at Samsung who can tell you what the schedule is?  I'd bet that someone at AT&T knows exactly if / when the upgrade will occur as they most likely do extensive in-house testing before letting their customers see it.

The second time I called AT&T, I talked with two people who were very kind, but completly in the dark. The second one couldn't tell me anything about the update but offered to schedule a call from AT&T technical support to see if something in my device was "preventing the update."  I said OK...no one ever called.

AT&T, quit abusing your customers!

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

Agreed, I like the tab 8.9 but the browser is lame. I won't buy anything from AT&T again, I could have looked at other tablets. Next tablet might be android, but it won't be att.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

That's how I fixed mine.  I bought a Surface.  I highly reccomend you go check it out.  I've only had it for a few weeks and it's already had on Firmware update to improve performance and a few Security updates.  That puts it 100% ahead of anything Samsung has done for this Tab. 

I'm done with Android until they can figure out how to better address Security issues and O/S updates.  It is so rediculous that Google constantly improves the system but most User's do not see those improvements until they fork out the money to buy a new device.  Absolutely Lame and unacceptable. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm going to give AT&T one more month to release an upgrade and then I will proceed to never buy another AT&T product again if they don't.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

SAMSUNG AND AT&T ARE EQUALLY RESPONSIBLE

Yesterday, I got home and opened up my 8.9 Galaxy Tablet from AT&T.  There was a system message saying call 888-XXX-XXXX for information about your device.   I got excited and figured that I was finally going to get an update to ICS.  

I called the number, which turns out to be Samsung's technical support.  I'm given a menu, from which I choose tablet support.  Let me say this again, I picked TABLET SUPPORT.

1ST Technician

The woman asks me why am calling.  I tell her about the message on my TABLET.   She proceeds to ask me a bunch of questions and can't find "anything in our system about your device."  We play this game for about 10 or 15 minutes.  Finally a tell her how unhappy I am with the whole situation. She's not interested in hearing about it.  THEN SHE TELLS ME, "I'm in the phone support department.  WE DON'T DEAL WITH TABLETS."   Incredible!  A major corporation like SAMSUNG can't even get the call routing right...She says she's going to transfer me to the tablet support line.

2nd Technician

This guy is nice and sympathetic.  I give him the whole story AGAIN.  He still can't tell me why I got the message on my tablet from Samsung.  I give him all of the information about my device, numbers, etc.  He goes off line and comes back saying "Your device has an update to Ice Cream Sandwich."  HALLELUJAH! I'm think.  So we try the menu on the tablet for software upgrade and it doesn't work.  So Mr. Technician says, "we need to reset your device to factory standards so you can get the upgrade."   I'm all in for that.  We do the reset, which by the time we're done with all of the back and forth takes another 30 minutes.  I try to upgrade again.  Still no luck.  He say's you're connected over Wi-Fi right?  I say yes, and I am also connected via 4G.  SILENCE ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE.  Mr. Technician says something cute llike "Good Golly" I thought you had a Wi-Fi tablet.  I'm sorry, THERE'S NO UPDATE AVAILABLE FOR YOU.   I ONLY SUPPORT WI-FI TABLETS.  He says very sheepishly, "I'm going to transfer you over to our Carrier Tablet Help Desk" (presumably where they HELP people that by AT&T products.  Yeah, right.

3rd Technician

This woman ASKS ME ALL OF THE SAME STUFF AGAIN. Wastes another 10 minutes.  Goes off line and comes back. "THERE IS NO UPDATE AND WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHEN THERE WILL BE ONE."  There is one BIG piece of information howwer, and I quote:

"GOOGLE, AT&T and SAMSUNG all work together to determine when your device will be upgraded."  

Perfect.  An hour spent on the phone with totally clueless SAMSUNG and a hapless support system.

AT&T, you are the company I write a check to.  Are you aware of this tragic abuse of your customers?  Do you care?   YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THIS FORUM.   Why don't you stop hiding behind your website and marketing department and have the courtesy and guts to post a reply about what you think about this ridiculous situation?  Even better, why don't you tell us what you're going to do to make things right?

By the way, I'm not holding my breath... 

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Had a chat session with a Samsung rep regarding ICS on the 8.9 and according to him it's at least being worked on, but of course, no release date has been scheduled yet.  At least it's listed on this Samsung page, so hopefully it will be out sooner than later:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

markcofano - Not quite sure why you are calling out AT&T when you spent the hour on the phone with Samsung.  Seems like you should be posting your complaint on a Samsung forum.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

If you pull up the link on Samsung's web site it leads you to believe they haven't even taken care of the WiFi 8.9 tab yet.  I'd say it is pretty much all on Samsung.

In the meantime I just love my Surface.  Buttery smooth animation, serious ability to multi-task. XBox movies that download and actually play and ZERO crashes!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your reply...here's why.

1) My Table has AT&T and Samsung's name on it.  

2) I pay AT&T for services every month.  Implied in that payment is technical support.

3) AT&T can't support the Tablet themselves.  (AT&T has Samsung on the line twice in previous support calls)

4) I have never contacted Samsung on my own.  They got my information from AT&T and were responding to me as a proxy for AT&T's technical support.  From my perspective my comments should be read by AT&T and AT&T users.

5) IMHO, my experiences and post would be of general interest to anyone entertaining the purchase of a product from AT&T.  AT&T says they have NO influence on when the tablet will be upgraded.  I find this impossible to believe (What major corporation in its right mind would contract with a customer to provide a service and have NO ability to influence the 3rd party vendor to perform?  If its true, then buyer beware...if it's false, then AT&T needs to come clean.

Mark

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

Good points. I have a 8.9 LTE, what all this drama means is that I would never buy another tablet from ATT. The 4g has been mostly unused as wifi is so common now. So they tricked me into buying the 8.9 with a data plan, but I've got 9 more months of punishment for my poor decison. Next table will probably be a nexus or maybe an ipad, but neither will come from ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.