The Samsung Galaxy S24
bmoye70's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 9:54 PM

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 ICS Update?

Well lo and behold. Let's see what this is. It seems like AT&T is doing it again. I have the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket which got the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 update after about 9 months of it being released.

Now I also have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with the 4G LTE. I use this all the time for work, play, etc. Honeycomb 3.2 totally sucks as an interface. When is AT&T going to come out with Ice Cream Sandwich for this tablet? The WIFI version has it already and has for about a month or more now.

Come on AT&T and get with the program. I paid good money for this tablet and I pay the monthly data plan. The least you can do is provide an update, or heck, even HINT about when the update will be. But you can't even do that.

Some information would be nice to get from you. I have been with your company for 5 good years after leaving and coming back. Next time I leave it will be for good. There isn't any reason why this release should not have been out by now. You have had plenty of time.

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

12 years ago

yeah AT&T should release the update asap. they should be more smart n faster about update release matter. now day has changes enough

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, I got mine in February and have been hearing about ics all year. I definitely won't renew my LTE plan for the tablet. I'm a ten year customer with AT&T and my strategy based on the slow updates and general lag on release dates is simple. I will not buy any product from them with the promise of a future update to something better. Either it meets my needs right now or forget it. Im not getting caught up in a phone or tablet again that is behind the times. The 8.9 has taught me that lesson. I just upgraded to a GS3 and I'm happy with ICS. Otherwise I would not have purchased it, JB looks like a refresh anyway.  So my next tablet will be updated when I get it or I won't buy it. Too bad for AT&T since they will likely lose saltips over this, since they are rarely updated. 

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

12 years ago

i am really disappointed about these LTE phone and Tab update Man Frustrated  Every product should be launch in USA, UK, Australia, Canada minimum same time with the International version and also should be updated minimum same time. But we see, after any smartphone launch their good n high end product internationally then after 3/4 weeks it takes to become available in USA like country, what a disappointment. same thing going on Update matter too

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

I am so done with Android for this very reason.  Buying this expensive hardware and being forced to live with the defects even though they have been improved and or corrected almost 1 year ago is just unacceptable.  I want google chrome on this clunky tablet among other things that would come with ICS but can't get it.  I can't even get movies from Google Play to download and work anymore. 

I honestly do not think it is 100% at&its fault.  Samsung shares a ton of the blame.  The WiFi product that has nothing to do with at&t just updated.  Also I have a Moto Xoom WiFi that it OLDER than my Tab and was updated OTA to Jelly Bean about 2 weeks after it came out. 

I'm moving over to Windows 8.  Lumia 920 and Surface here I come!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I fully agree with all said. I have spent months trying to figure out when my Galaxy 8.9 will get the ICS update (I don't even dream about JB), with no response from Samsung, much less from AT&T.  Even though I agree Samsung is very much responsible for this unacceptable delay, I wonder if AT&T's lack of info is simply a symptom of giving priority to iPad users.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, based on this type of service I bought my work Ipad through Verizon. At least with apple, its limited but the whole world gets updates on the same day. I got the IOS 6 update immediately. I think I may go unlocked for the future...sorry ATT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

If Bell, Telus, and Roger in Canada got the update to ICS on Oct 23rd, When is At&t planing to release ICS in the U.S.? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I checked with AT&T today and then spoke with Samsung. It is not AT&T"s fault that we don't have an update, It's actually Sansung! Samsung has not yet released and ICS update for the 4G device yet! They told me today(10/31/2012) that it was still being worked on -

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I suggest that everyone who wants an AT&T update for their Tab 8.9, call Samsung and let them know!

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

I decided to go the XDA route.  People are building Jelly Bean ROMs for this tablet now.  I flashed my 8.9's brains out over and over and over.  Learned quite a bit in the process.  Everything worked but the "lag" I experienced while using the Tab was so bad it really was not possible to use it. 

It's strange because other people on the XDA forum said the Jelly Bean ROMs worked fine for them.  Maybe I was doing something wrong but I sure couldn't pin it down.  After a weeks worth of frustration I flashed it back to stock ROM. 

I used the Tab for a week hating it.  Then Microsoft dropped the Surface.  I am now a very happy owner of a Surface tablet and it is beautiful. 

So I'll cancel the data plan on the Tab and hopefully sell it along with another Samsung WiFi tab I have that Samsung never supported like it should either.  I truly believe the blames lies much much more with Samsung than at&t as they ignore the WiFi tablets that have nothing to do with a mobile operator just as much as those that do.  I also have a WiFi Motorola Xoom I purchased before the 8.9 tab that gets updates within a few weeks of Google releasing them.  It updated to jelly bean and even had another update after that. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.