The Samsung Galaxy S24
Wild Banchi's profile

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

Monday, May 13th, 2013 12:17 AM

Samsung Galaxy S4: First Impressions

Not sure if anyone has received their's yet, but how well are you all liking the phone? For S III owners, is it worth the upgrade?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I have the Galaxy S4 and like it so far.  I'm still learning it, so I really don't have a detailed review.  I would say for the normal S III owner, it wouldn't be worth the upgrade.  But, I'm enjoying finding out the differences between the two more than I thought that I would.

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

11 years ago

I REALLY like the GS4 and coming from a rooted GS3 and had the GS2 before that, they are getting better and better.. I must say after 3 days with the GS4 I don't feel the need to root it which is a 1st for me, I don't care for the added bloat but it doesn't seem to bother me as much this time round..It is definitely faster and smoother then my GS3 (that is even with the GS3 rooted and with a optimized kernel)..  Display seems brighter and I do like the slightly larger display, I know it screen size didn't make a big jump in size but the display "LOOKS" bigger yet the phone itslef doesn't feel or look bigger(strange huh??).. The phone feel great in hand but again strange to say it is almost too thin lol, after only a couple hours I ordered a case for it for two reasons, 1. protect this beauty and 2nd believe it or not to add thickness..

Battery life seems much better also, I had to get a extended battery with my GS3 but so far the GS4 has been quite good at sipping power.. I am also liking the OS better then the GS3's or any custom ROMs I ran, I LOVE the multiple screens on the lock screen, if you slide the top part of the lock screen where the clock is you can to to the next screen without ever unlocking(I have my Gmail Inbox on one screen, messaging on another and you can add more screens if you like..

Talking and listening to calls is very good and again a bit better the my old GS3.  Internet browsing also seems much faster and smoother, I also really like the hand gesturing to "wave" to a previous web page or go forward to the next. 

I know this may be a just me thing but I just happen to get a new Samsung Plasma TV and found the Screen Mirroring between it and my GS4 works very well, it actually shows everything you are looking or listening on your GS4, showing my family photos of my trip to Boston was great plus the TV handled me streching/zooming photos perfectly, even videos I shot ran flawlessly.. 

There is more I could write but not sure exactly what you'd like to know but please feel free to ask..

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

pmt1209, I agree with most of what you said to the point that it's scary.  I didn't know that I had a twin!  I couldn't make the same comment about the phone calls, only because I rarely used my S III as a phone and the same applies with the S4.  I also haven't used the multiple lockscreens yet.  

I'm also thinking about buying a Samsung Plasma TV now.  I'm struggling with that one because I'm not a TV watcher.  I just want the TV to use my phones and tablet with.

I got the S View Cover to go with my S4 and I like the preview option that it gives me.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your detailed summaries, guys!

I guess for me, the biggest turn off about going back to an Android phone is the "unpredictable" -- so to speak -- OS. Before asking why, I will explain myself. The reason why I switched from my original Captivate Galaxy S to an iPhone 4 is because the Captivate felt slow, laggy, and otherwise bogged down. I seldom used the Internet and e-mail on it because it so gosh darn slow and somewhat difficult to navigate. I always ended up using either it my iOS devices for such tasks. My biggest gripe is that my Captivate supported Adobe Flash Player, which allowed me to insert images into the Forum here and see other content that is "not available" on my iPhone. 😠
Also, I've recently read threads here claiming how the latest update messed up some users' fairly new Galaxy S IIIs. That's not cool, considering that I debated on whether or not to upgrade from my iPhone...glad I chose not to.

So, my honest question is: has Android improved significantly and become a solely reliable operating system? As some of you may know, I am a prepaid GoPhone smartphone user that pays full retail price for my smartphones, so buying a $350+ smartphone and having it be a paperweight after an Android OS update is a little unnerving to me. I like iOS because I feel that it's very stable and simple to use. I must admit, I do miss my ability to customize my home screens and such, but overall, I've been pretty satisfied with both Android and iOS.

I'd be willing to take the leap if it's truly worth it. Right now, it's between the S4, HTC One, and possibly Apple's iPhone 5S/6 whenever they choose to release it. I've even begun to fall in love with a friend's Nokia Lumia 822 Windows phone!

Hope I don't sound like an Apple "fanboy". I truly do enjoy equal things about each OS. 🙂

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

It's hard for me to advise you, as I'm heavily into Android and it is by far the best mobile OS for me.  From reading your posts on this forum, it seems that you are more satisfied with iOS than I ever could be.

Yes, Android has come a long way since the original Galaxy S series with Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread.  I had the Vibrant (T-Mobile's version of the Captivate) and my mother still uses it today, though as a phone only. 

If an Android phone isn't to my liking, I root it and install a custom ROM.  I usually can get exactly what I want from the extensive development community for Android.  However, I don't root most of my phones.  I like them mostly as they are out of the box.

I have had better experiences with Samsung phones than I have with HTC phones, so I would recommend a Galaxy S4 over an HTC One.  I haven't used an HTC One personally, so my recommendation is a bit one-sided and based on HTC phones from 2011 and 2012.

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

11 years ago

Absolutely get What's best for you!! That is the bottom line. . I'm you're opposite though lol, I find the Galaxy S series gets better and better with the Galaxy S4 leaps and bounds better then the iPhone and I have 3 in my account/home (wife & daughters). Not going to very into specifics since you've decided but there isn't one aspect of the Galaxy S4 that isn't superior to the iPhone, is just faster, more verisitle, much more customable, bigger better display, memory expandable, battery life and can expand or swap batteries, and INEVER need to connect it to a computer...I hate itunes lol..
Good luck Wild..

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I just popped into Best Buy Mobile and, to my surprise, they have a Galaxy S 4 virtual display model eyeing me from the window. Wow, what a heck of a phone! And let me just say, I don't particularly care for white electronics, but that white is so crisp and fresh! Besides the nice color, I was completely awed by the clarity, brightness, and size of the screen. It was absolutely stunning. I got the chance to play around with some of the features, and there seems to be plenty to offer.

I was very impressed by the demo model. Now, only if I could see myself using this phone in my everyday personal life... The Internet browser would have to be simple to use and quick to respond (didn't get the chance to check that out). The camera was sweet and seemed to be laden with features.

Android, I may be returning. 😉

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

11 years ago

Nice you got a chance to play with one and I agree this is the first white phone I've owned but I just loved how it looks especially with a case that gives the face a black border all around (I have the SPG Thin Armour)..

But still Banchi go back and play with it some more and make sure you'd prefer it over your usual preference, I'm no fanboy of any type but through the years found the Galaxy series is a perfect fit for me.. 

It's great to have so many GREAT choices be it Samsung, HTC or Apple. The new Blackberry kinda disappointed me but got a feeling they will improve on their new devices/OS.

Good luck in your search..

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

11 years ago

Can't wait for my upgrade. Att is gonna give me 280 for my iPhone 5. Free galaxy s4 32gb for me!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@tinagallo379 wrote:
Can't wait for my upgrade. Att is gonna give me 280 for my iPhone 5. Free galaxy s4 32gb for me!

$280 is a reasonable price for your 5, although you could make more if you sold it on eBay/Craigslist. I'm sure you just want to do an easy trade, though. 😛

I know that you're an iPhone lover - let me know if the S4 is enough to convert you for sure! I truly enjoy using my iPhone, but the S4 is so tempting due to all of those neat features we would never expect a cell phone to perform...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.