The Samsung Galaxy S24
kgbkny's profile

Guru

• 

309 Messages

Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 8:05 PM

Samsung Galaxy S4 Developer Edition - Out June 26

Samsung and Google have just announced that the developer edition of the Galaxy S4 will go on sale via Google Play store on June 26, 2013. The phone will be factory unlocked, feature an unlocked bootloader and....wait for it....come with stock Android. Both companies confirmed that this phone will receive updates directly from Google, at the same time as the Nexus devices. The only negative thing about this is that the phone will not be subsidized by Google (a la Nexus) and will be priced at $649.

Although I was really hoping that the Nexus 4 LTE rumor was going to come true, the developer edition GS4 sounds even more appealing. All the goodness of a Nexus, GS4 specs and complete freedom from carrier interference. My birthday just happens to be June 25, so I am seriously considering picking this up.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s4-google/4505-6452_7-35761621.html

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Let me know how you like it.  I think that I will try to talk myself out of this one, seeing as I kept my AT&T Galaxy S4.  Also, I wanted the features of Touchwiz on this one.  I have the Galaxy S III rooted and ROMed which I like, but I sometimes miss the Touchwiz features, too.  Round the collection out with a Nexus 4 and I'll try to pass the new Galaxy S4 up and get the Nexus 5 later this year.

It's still going to be hard to pass this up, though.  If nothing else, I want to support this model of skin-free Android devices.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm actually gonna pass on that version of the GS4.. The price is a little hefty if you ask me. Of course hardware related, it's superior but something tells me people pay more because it says "Samsung" on the device.. The Nexus 4 may not have LTE, but the software is the same 😛

Just my two cents

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T's model is $639.99 while the Google Edition is $649.  The $10 difference for getting a pure Google experience, an unlocked phone out of the box and an unlocked bootloader is worth it for many people.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

No that I agree on, but if people were to pay that purely for the software, wouldn't it just make more sense to purchase the Nexus 4 for half the price?

The GS4 is a great phone, but I thought $500 or so would be more fair :x

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I only examined the software differences because I thought that you were making the comparison only between the current Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S4-Google Edition.  As far as the differences between the Nexus 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S4-Google Edition on the hardware side, there were some people who would not buy a phone that had no expandable memory, a non-removable battery and no (official) LTE support, no matter how cheap it was.  The GS4-Google Edition gives the Android enthusiasts a new option.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@Evandela wrote:
I'm actually gonna pass on that version of the GS4.. The price is a little hefty if you ask me. Of course hardware related, it's superior but something tells me people pay more because it says "Samsung" on the device.. The Nexus 4 may not have LTE, but the software is the same 😛

Just my two cents

I bought the Nexus 4 and ended up selling it. LTE is an absolute must for me. Keep in mind that Google subsidizes the Nexus devices, which is why they are comparatively inexpensive. The GS4 is totally worth the money. As 21st Now pointed out, it's pricing is in line with that of the carrier version, if purchased unsubsidized. For all intents and purposes, it's a Nexus device without the Nexus branding.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

Let me know how you like it.  I think that I will try to talk myself out of this one, seeing as I kept my AT&T Galaxy S4.  Also, I wanted the features of Touchwiz on this one.  I have the Galaxy S III rooted and ROMed which I like, but I sometimes miss the Touchwiz features, too.  Round the collection out with a Nexus 4 and I'll try to pass the new Galaxy S4 up and get the Nexus 5 later this year.

It's still going to be hard to pass this up, though.  If nothing else, I want to support this model of skin-free Android devices.

I've yet to fully make up my mind on whether or not I will plunk down the $649, but the phone certainly sounds tempting. I don't really use any of the TouchWiz features on my GS3 and definitely prefer stock Android. I also despise carrier meddling when it comes to updates. If I can get around $300 for my GS3, I will definitely get the developer edition GS4. Come to think of it, I also have an old T-Mobile G2, in mint condition, that I can sell. The only thing that's holding me back somewhat is a recent purchase of a high ticket item.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.