For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
smooth4lyfe's profile

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 4:43 PM

Samsung Galaxy S4- 32GB Version release?

Anyone know why the 32GB version was not released as preorder? and When will it be available?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Also, there's only 10GB of space left after the OS and manufacturer software (and my phone always runs like crud if I don't leave at least a gig free)

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

@angellee74 wrote:

Also, there's only 10GB of space left after the OS and manufacturer software (and my phone always runs like crud if I don't leave at least a gig free)

Actually, it's around 8GB, but no reason to split hairs over 2GB. Smiley LOL

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I had the GN2 and found the limited storage made the device unusable.  Now once I heard about the GS4 I wanted to move from Verizon to AT&T was ready to port several lines over.  Now I am stuck waiting just like the countless other users on so many forums, waiting on AT&T to deliver a phone that users actually want.

Is it so hard to launch both the 16GB and 32GB or simply offer just the 32GB version at $249, they would have gotten the sales and in fact they would have seen a significant jump in new subscribers as it seems no other US Carrier will be carrying the GS4 32GB.

So AT&T when you are ready I have the money.

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I am now up for an upgrade.  I want the S4; but I will not buy the 16GB version.  All I want is a solid release date for the 32GB version.  I have cash in hand and will probably buy the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 from AT&T using their speciaql promo offer.  Can't someone at AT&T simply give us a release date?  If we are talking a few months till release of the S4 32GB, I'll probably get the updated Nexus 4 with LTE that should be announced in mid May at the Google I/O.  That would mean that AT&T will lose the sale of two devices.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

I've mentioned this before, Samsung is the driver behind the ultimate availability of any other S4 variant.

I'm certainly not AT&T's biggest fan, & certainly have no vested interest, but why blame them? Yes, marketing will drive which additional variants that they carry, in tandem with what Samsung ultimately has to offer them, or any other carrier for that matter. If the background 'buzz' does hold true, AT&T will be the only major carrier in the U.S. to offer a 32GB variant for sale.

As to them not announcing a release date, remember they bungled the announcement for pre-orders. Does anyone really think that they want to do that again? The answer, in my opinion, is an emphatic "No".

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Its not Samsung its AT&T.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

How can it really be samsungs fault? They are the only competition with apple, and with that, it makes since that Samsung would have had everything all planned out and a batch made of all models (execpt international) like apple, and ship them out to carriers all at once.

Otherwise, Samsung is not stupid enough to risk competition from apple from something as stupid as this. However, they have no control over the carriers.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

The lack of 32GB and 64GB across all US carriers and many non-US carriers indicates that the problem with not having anything but 16GB phones is Samsung's fault. AT&T is stocking and selling the silver 32GB and 64GB HTC One phones, soon will be selling the 32GB LG Optimus G Pro, and obviously has sold 32GB and 64GB iPhones for years.

Over on XDA, there are a number of people who have red pixel ghosting issues at night and there is also what they are calling "black clipping" where text on the screen scrolls in a jagged fashion in low light situations. It may be that Samsung is still working out quality issues before they ramp up making phones with more memory that will be sold at higher prices to more demanding customers.

Samsung is also launching the S4 in many countries all in a very small window. This has caused supply issues vs. staggering the launches a bit. Samsung is doing this so they sell as many S4 phones as they can before the iPhone 5S hits in June and before HTC can ship their One phone in black. To make things simpler, Samsung has made almost all 16GB phones with a few 32GB models for Asia. I'd expect 32GB models to become more available in the next month or two. This is assuming Samsung's rush to make a waterproof S4 and a secure S4 (Knox) doesn't delay things further.

The thing that disappoints me, though, is the lack of communication from AT&T. They could say "we will be selling the 32GB S4 in 1-2 months" but they don't because they want you to buy what's on the shelf today, the 16GB S4 with its woefully small amount of free memory, ~8GB. This is not going to work for many people over the two year life of a contract. But, hey, having to get a new phone because your old phone is out of memory... that's even better for AT&T revenues. And the magic snake oil of the SD slot makes this possible. AT&T can blame the uselessless of the SD slot on Google... everything is a win for AT&T.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

It seems as more people get the S4, more quality problems are cropping up and getting more coverage in the the media. Phone Arena has some coverage today of the S4's screen/redraw/refresh issues:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-your-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-screen-giving-you-the-scrolling-blur-and-purplepink-inversion-treatment-You-are-not-alone_id42563

"What we noticed at first was the rendering refresh rate which goes down with fast, and even not so fast scrolling in the interface..."

"Then there was a moment today, while adjusting the brightness in auto mode from the notification bar slide. When we first put it to the minimum of -5, the bar turned purple to pink and screen edges inverted, too. We slid it up a notch, and the issue disappeared, but we have been able to replicate it a few times since by just playing around with the slider, albeit not to that extent."

"The XDA thread, however, is brimming with these smearing issues on black background, too, sometimes in a more pronounced variant, to the point of ghosting text while scrolling fast, and the same purple/pink hue issue at times."

So unless a person must have the S4 today, it seems that it might be worth waiting a month or two anyway so Samsung can get on top of these issues. By that time, they should have greater availability of 32GB phones. Hopefully even some 64GB phones.

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

I haven't even heard about this phone, or know anything about it, but I thought some would be interested.

LG Optimus G Pro Released on AT&T (T) – Will Take On Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone, other Smartphones (http://highlightpress.com/lg-optimus-g-pro-released-on-att-t-will-take-on-samsung-galaxy-s4-iphone-other-smartphones/1007/emcknight)

Highlight Press
Eustace McKnight
May 2, 2013

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.