Samsung Galaxy S4- 32GB Version release?

Professor

Samsung Galaxy S4- 32GB Version release?

Anyone know why the 32GB version was not released as preorder? and When will it be available?

Message 1 of 155 (27,476 Views)
JSY
Scholar

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4- 32GB Version release?

deepen03 wrote:

yeah, but how many apps could you possibly have? you have to be a lunatic to have 10plus gigs of apps to fill up 16gb of space.. my iPhone 5 apps take up around 1GB, and music like 7gb. i'll use the SD card for music/videos/pictures.. not apps.

Games can take up a lot of space.  I don't download many games, but I know some that do - and they are often like 2GB+ so it can add up very quickly.

Message 16 of 155 (24,040 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

In a Direct Messaging dialogue with Customer Care representatives, the official line on the 32 GB variant is that is "coming soon". This applies to Samsung Mobile USA as well.

Adding a external memory card to a puny 16 GB phone gets you nowhere. Wait for the 32 and/or 64 GB variants.

Message 17 of 155 (23,851 Views)

On my 64GB iPhone 5, which is completely full, I have 4 apps that take up roughly 7GB space alone. So, if I put back some of those nice RPGs I bought, that take up 2-3GB, does that make me a lunatic? Apparently I am.
Message 18 of 155 (23,855 Views)
JSY
Scholar

OzmaPhase2 wrote:
On my 64GB iPhone 5, which is completely full, I have 4 apps that take up roughly 7GB space alone. So, if I put back some of those nice RPGs I bought, that take up 2-3GB, does that make me a lunatic? Apparently I am.

I don't think you can really compare app sizes between iPhone and Android, but the bottom line I think is that if you do plan on installing a bunch of games on the phone, you'll probably want to wait for the 32 or 64 (did they confirm they would even carry the 64?).  If you don't plan on installing many games, then the 16 is probably fine.  No, you're not a lunatic.  lol...  I have about 190+ apps on my 16gb GS3 without issue and still almost 8gb left.  I keep my music/photos/video on a 64gb microsdhc card.  I'm probably more of a lunatic having that many apps!

Message 19 of 155 (23,725 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Leaguenight96 wrote:
I have a 32gb iPhone right now. I am a heavy app user with pictures and games and my phone is almost full. Apps are loaded to the phones memory, NOT to the sd card. Pics, music and contact data can be stored on the sd which is great but only 16gb for app space is kinda limited.

Actually in android, many apps are written so that they can be installed in the internal or external memory. 

Check out this link if you like.  http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html

That said, the 16gb version isn't for me, I'm holding out for at least the 32gb version.

And AT&T, please give us a more specific answer on the release date of the SGS4 32gb, instead of the patronizing sounding answer of "soon". 

Message 20 of 155 (23,664 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

Actually a largeumber of applications can be stored and operated from the sd card.  I had the s2,s3, the note...all were capable of storing most apps on the sd card..fear not friend.

Message 21 of 155 (23,209 Views)
Scholar

Becuase I have a 32 GB card and would prefer 64gb of total storage as opposed than 48. Not to mention, some apps can't be moved to SD and some apps are huge - graphics/drawing programs, kids games, etc. A lunatic to need more than 16GB for app storage? Uhm I think not. And if one is to have a phone for nearly 2 years and with apps growing in size, why wouldn't you want the breathing room for a mere 50 bucks? I think it's entirely reasonable...smart even. With 32Gb internal I'd never need to worry abotu moving apps (a nuisance) and could use my SD solely for media.

Message 22 of 155 (23,187 Views)
Scholar

Oh and AT&T either doesn't know when it's getting 32GB versions or doesn't want to tell us. Both scenario are pretty lame.

Message 23 of 155 (23,188 Views)
Professor

thepope wrote:
Spoiler

Actually a largeumber of applications can be stored and operated from the sd card.  I had the s2,s3, the note...all were capable of storing most apps on the sd card..fear not friend.

How so? Without rooting

Message 24 of 155 (23,043 Views)
Scholar

Curious as well. I have 175 apps installed on a non-rooted S III with a puny internal SD memory of 12 GB & a 32 GB external SD card.

148/175, several 'hogs' being AT&T Samsung bloatware, are Phone-resident only & cannot be moved to an external SD card.

Message 25 of 155 (23,013 Views)

I really want at least a 32gb. I won't buy it unless I can get at least that size. I may just take a drive over Saturday morning to see if they have it.
Message 26 of 155 (22,961 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Don't bother driving over to check on a 32 GB variant. I posted the following on another forum yesterday & nothing has changed.

Following are "official" quotes from AT&T & Samsung Mobile USA representatives re the current availability of a 32 GB variant in the U.S.:

AT&T:

Found out two items from DMs with AT&T:

1. The link posted directing users to the 32 GB variant was a mistake & the official line is that the 32 GB variant is "coming soon".

2. As of this time you will be allowed to keep the unlimited data plan.
(#1 re-confirmed this morning)

I wish I had that information to share with you. Here's to keeping our fingers crossed that it will be soon.

Samsung Mobile USA:

Here's a tweet I received from @SamsungmobileUS after not hearing back on my first attempt to get news on the 32 GB variant. Thought some would get a chuckle!

"Stay tuned for news on this product. We love the enthusiasm, Randy!"

We have no information regarding the availability of a 32 GB model for pre-order today.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) Using Tapatalk 2

[removed extra code]

Message 27 of 155 (22,957 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for that info Randun. Nice of you to take the time.

It's pretty crazy that this variant with larger internal memory is some elusive product that doens't have a normal timetable or normal release like the 16GB model. It was announced..even pricing was announced. Lame.

Message 28 of 155 (22,886 Views)
Scholar

Mandroid wrote:

Thanks for that info Randun. Nice of you to take the time.

It's pretty crazy that this variant with larger internal memory is some elusive product that doens't have a normal timetable or normal release like the 16GB model. It was announced..even pricing was announced. Lame.

No problem. I can't speak for the other carriers but if you look at one of my quotes from AT&T, the Rep noted that they posted the 32GB link by mistake. I have no doubt that the price point shown in that link will be the same. Availability is the big question now, but remember our good friends at Samsung (Smiley Indifferent) have a part in this saga as well.

IMO, Samsung screwed up in the U.S., as usual, & it snowballed from there.

Message 29 of 155 (22,869 Views)
Contributor

My cousin who works in a AT&T store told me like others here stated that they only talkng pre orders on the 16gb and around a week or two after they will have the 32 gb available. He claims that it is due to the fact that the 16gb is like the user staged above is readily available and more likely to sell so not to hinder in the 16gb sales they holding back any I do about other sizes. Simply they want people to buy the phone now and not tell you about the others so you will just buy the 16gb and not wait
Message 30 of 155 (22,590 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.