The Samsung Galaxy S24
igbw's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 30th, 2012 10:55 PM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 MTP USB Fix for Windows 7(at least for me)!!

Here's what worked for me after literally trying everything under the sun (compiled steps from various sources):

Steps to Safely Cleanup and Remove old USB Mass Storage Drivers on your PC

1. Shut down your computer. Unplug your USB storage devices: USB Disks, flash, cams, CD/DVD, etc.
    ==> Other USB devices like keyboards, mice and LAN adapters can stay plugged in
  2. Boot computer back up. Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit Windows
  3. Download drivecleanup.zip, unzip and save to your desktop. Move the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe toC:\Windows\System32
  4. Open a command prompt window as follows:
    ==> For XP only: You must have Admin privileges. Click Start->Run, enter cmd 
    ==> For Vista and Windows 7: You must open an elevated command prompt window!
  5. After the command prompt enter: drivecleanup.exe
    ==> Your command prompt window should be similar to my example below.
    ==> If, instead, you get an error message like Command not recognized it means you didn't move Drivecleanup.exe to the right directory
  6. Reboot. 
  7. Download the latest USB drivers here:http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I747MBBATT Click the tab at the bottom that says "Manuals & Downloads" then Software then the link for the Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.v1.5.14.0)
  8. Intstall Drivers
  9. Reboot
  10. Unplugged or disable your internet connection ***CRITICAL*** 
  11. On your S3 go to Settings>About device>Check for updates and install the update (eventhough we next do a hard reset the new firmware is worth it if only for the brightness feature added to the notification drop down). 
  12. Do a hard reset on your Galaxy S3 instructions for that here: http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-hard-reset.html
  13. Turn on S3 (without USB plugged in) and don't login to your Android account ***CRITICAL***
  14. Plug in USB and it should install all the drivers at long last ***SIGH***
  15. Login to your Android account with the USB plugged in and you should be good to go! 

I hope this works for you because I went through probably 8hrs of B S trying to figure this out. Believe when I say I tried EVERYTHING and this is only fixed it! Oh one other nice thing is this fixes the annoying COPY/PASTE issue as well. I know it's pain in the neck but it's worth it. :smileywink:

I'm on a Window 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 32-bit machine.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I forgot one thing uninstall KIES and the Samsung Drivers first! 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Had the same problem and researched for about 3 hrs.  This happened on my XP Pro and my Win7 machines (yesterday), both on the same day.  After much research, decided to just install the driver.  I got the driver that you used, and then disconnected the internet, and then installed the driver.  Rebooted, connected by S3 to it, and I had everything back.  Did this on both pc's without a hitch.  But, to be honest, I had one thing going for me....I had made Ghost copies of each machine just two days earlier, so if I really messed it up, I could always reimage the pc's.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

BTW....the cause of the problem was connecting an S3 with the pc that had a bad 32GB memory chip.  After fixing the pc's, removed the 32 chip from the phone and reinstalled the 8GB chip.  Would be interested to know what the cause of your problem was?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Its usually due to windows keeping old drivers.  Usually you need to delete them all, and delete them in the Registry.  I know sounds stupid, but its the same with AMD graphics drivers.  I learned that the hard way. 

Delete all drivers for device then upplug phone.

go to

Device manager

View, show hidden

Go to Non Pnp drivers

stop and disable in properties Hard ware Policy driver.

Reboot

Disconnect from internet,

allow phone to add base drivers.

Then you need to turn on Hardware Policy Driver, (or you will have to load drivers each time for all devices)

connect to internet, you can choose to update to newest if you would like

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.