The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

Performed a restore through kies and still no luck. GPS loses signal all the time.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Realize this is about the Note 3, but the Galaxy Mega post from 3/24 noting similar issue is kind of orphaned so here I am and here I go...

Two week old Galaxy Mega 4.2.2 with the latest AT&T OTA update already installed when I got the phone (i527UCUMK2/3.4.0-2052936/JDQ39.I527UCUAMK2).  So, not rooted or flashed.

Won't go into all the gory details as the major symptoms I am having with GPS dropping are nearly identical with others here using the Note 3.  In fact one of the secondary reasons I opted for the Mega over the Note 3 was the ongoing GPS issue.

It's not the case (Otterbox Commuter) - it drops naked too.  It's not the vehicle - drops when I walk too.  Drops for Waze and Google Maps.  Matters not if GPS Status (free) is set to keep GPS on when screen sleeps.  Does it even with GPS Keeper Lite running.  I am not 100% sure it will drop with just GPS Keeper, GPS Status, and Location Service running (e.g. no mapping/navigation), but it does not seem so.  Can't really correlate with tower or mobile network change or sniffing out available WiFi (but turned WiFi detecting off) - still running with Location to use WiFi or mobile network.

I honestly cannot recall if the problem existed out of the box or after I installled-updated my PlayStore apps and wonder if, illogical as it may be, if the new LightFlow (paid version) might be stomping on something.  Thinking about dispabling or removing LiteFlow.

Based on GPS status, GPS lock is usually less than 30 seconds and normally fix on 18+ sats outside and even 10+/- sittign in the home office.

Trying to resist a factory data reset.  Haven't logged a call with At&T support yet.  Figure they will want me to reset it.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

edit...

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

GPS still loses signal even after a full factory rest/restore. I did a couple of tests and might have figured it out. Every time I put my phone on my lap, the GPS lost signal 10/10 times. Every time I put my phone on my dash, in my hand or passenger seat it regained signal almost instantly 10/10 times. This sounds like a hardware issue now.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Had MAJOR GPS issues prior to 4.4.2 update....after update mow my location shows up somewhere between 20-50 feet from where I actually am and I too notice when I have my phone in my lap that the GPS is worse...I did NOT to a factory reset...just the update.

This is ridiculous...

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Didn't realize that so many people drive with their phones one their laps. Why not just get a dash, windshield or a air vent dock to hold your Note 3s in place.? It seems safer and more logical to me. The Note 3 GPS issue was fixed in 4.4.2. If you have another Samsung device and are running on 4.3, chances are you will suffer from the same issue we went through running on 4.3. I suggest setting up a new petition to have ATT send you the KitKat update like we did with the Note 3. That seemed to help speed the update a bit. But having you phone on your lap while navigating doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

@SB20 Well it was brought to my attention earlier in this thread that putting it on your lap does have an effect on GPS signal. So I don't think it really matters if someone drives with their phone on their lap, but fact of the matter is the GPS signal shows a weakness in that case. This shows that the update was not fixed with the software update or it is a hardware issue rather than a software issue. I have a NOTE 3 and the 4.4.2 update and this happens. So I would say it is NOT fixed. Plus it shouldn't matter what position the phone is in, it should work at all times. Idk about you but I think something so simple as moving the phone to your lap and having a GPS signal loss shows a MAJOR flaw in the GPS harware/software.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Follow up to my Galaxy Mega post above....debated whether to call AT&T Business Support and did so.

Got all the way to a "level 3 technical support person.  No surprise that they feigned ignorance of the problem on any phone much less the existence of this thread. 

But I pesuaded them to try to help 😉

Which included various suggestions that they would have to conference in Samsung, or maybe it was a Waze or Google Maps problem or if I used the (pay for) AT&T Navigation (TeleNav?) they could do more.  

I held my ground.

So someone had the idea fo me to try it with the SIM card removed.  What the heck...did that and...GPS held lock. 

So, with that, was told to go get a new SIM card, which I did, and if that did not work then also do a backup-reset.

Well, I am happy to say that with the new SIM card all seems to be healed.  Have not - yet - done a backup-reset.  Used Waze for 2+ hours this AM all over Southeast Florida and not one drop.  Before, I could not evenwalk around my block withouth numerous drops.

Now, I was always able to fix on at least 10 satellites even in the home office and routinely 15-20 outside.  But fix time has dropped from 30 seconds to under 15 seconds (GPS Status).

How could a SIM card - with no other obvious issues with mobile data, Wi-Fi, call, texts, etc - be the problem?

We'll see.

Pete

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

FYI:  The Kit Kat 4.4.2 update  DID NOT WORK!!!

- I got a Replacement phone (since my phone was/is under warrenty).

- I did a Software Update (I belive this is an AT&T only update since after the update my phone was still 4.3)(I had to wait 24hours before being able to attempt another update)

- I did another Software Update. This took my Note 3 to version 4.4.2 (KitKat).  The GPS worked 'pretty good' for 1 day.  It was not perfect.  I tested the GPS using Google Maps Navigation on a 40 mile trip down 101 north of SF.  I did got a 'GPS Signal Lost' error once while driving, but it quickly picked up the GPS signal on it's own and finish the trip with no more errors. WhooHoo!!! BUT---

- The next day I did the same exact driving route.  This time I got 5 x 'GPS Signal Lost' errors.  2 errors quickly recovered on it's own. 3 errors required me to stop/start GPS from the pull-down menu.

So, the UPGRADE to KitKat 4.4.3 DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE!!!

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

@gmorcos37, I would think that placing your phone on your lap while using the GPS would cause some type of attenuation. A dedicated GPS navigation unit uses a much stronger antenna. But hey, if you enjoy placing your phone on your lap, then I'm happy for you even though I don't get why you just wouldn't purchase a proper mount since it sounds like you use your phone's GPS a lot.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.