The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

@rpreuss - Do you have a Note 3? I have both the Note 3 and the S4 Active. My Note 3 gave me problems with GPS discussed in this Note 3 thread. But that was fully fixed in the KitKat update. As far as my S4 Active is concerned, I never experienced the same GPS problems. It may not be on KitKat but it works flawlessly.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

No, I do not have a Note 3. Only my S4 Active. First, let me re-cap from a couple of pages ago:

A bit of history - Last October I drove from New Jersey to Arkansas and back, using the "Maps" app and Waze. Worked perfectly. Also used Runtastic Pro, Endomondo Pro, and MapMyRide on my bike... NO PROBLEMS. Then, in January, 2014 I updated to Android version 4.3. Now that spring is here, I started trying to use my S4 Active on my bike rides and found the GPS was constantly dropping. I cant say I noticed it was when changing from 4g to 4gLTE, but it was occurring when I was handed from one tower to the next. Repeatable at the same location.

A little more information.

First, I like to use a  small, free app to test the GPS... "GPS Test" by Chartcross Ltd. It is good for showing a quick gps "fix" and I can watch the status in the status bar. Starts flashing and goes solid.

Start driving and after a short while (less than a half mile up to several) the GPS icon in the status bar disappears and the app stops responding. The satellite bars freeze and the displayed speed freezes. Also, the displayed time freezes.

I can then slide down the status bar, turn off the GPS and re-start it, go back to the still running app and it is working again.

Next test, and this always works. While displaying the status of the GPS using GPS Test, CALL THE CELL PHONE! Immediately, the GPS icon in the status bar disappears and the app locks. This is with one ring and then hanging up the call. I don't even answer it.

Repeatable 100% of the time. I cannot believe no one else has the problem. Remember, it all started with Android 4.3 update I did in January.

And, if I turn Airplane Mode ON and then re-enable blue tooth, it works fine. But of course, there is no Internet or cell phone use.

I am just hoping that if and when AT&T releases 4.4 to us S4 Active users that the problem will go away.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I stumbled across the Change.org petition that stated that AT&T released the new kitkat 4.4 update to fix this problem. I'm still on the previous version. When I checked for updates it said I was up to date. Any idea on how I can get 4.4?

Thanks

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I don't believe it!! I just checked with my Galaxy S4 Active, and the new release is currently downloading. So, I will find out tonight and tomorrow if 4.4 fixes the problem for me.

Stay tuned.Smiley Surprised

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

I don't understand how people are saying the gps issue on the note 3 is fixed with the update, because it is not. GPS loses signal all the time still. For those saying it's fixed, try setting it on your lap and see how fast it loses signal. Pretty sure it will happen fairly quickly, then put it in your hand and it will help regain its signal.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

Non issue for me works fine since the update and I was one of the loudest
voices about hating AT&T on this. However given the history of this issue
I don't doubt you at all that you are still having issues... If it helps at
all I did a full restore on my phone (as I always do with a new android
version) and I've been 100% golden.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

Finally someone else sees the phone in lap issue other than myself ! I have to hold the phone or set it on the arm rest section while in my car .

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

Go get a xpro dock from iBOLT. Its a car dock window mount
The most stable mount for our phones. Tell them I sent you. In know that's not what you want to hear but sounds like you need to have the phone up in the window that's where mine is and it works flawlessly

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

10 years ago

@psxsage  How did you go about this full restore? Did you do it through the phone or through Kies? Guess I will try this then. 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I got a chance to test out the GPS fix which came with Kit Kat.   I used my GPS for a 6.5hr drive to MD and it was flawless on both to and from routes and of course while in MD on travels. 

Thankfully!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.