Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Message 1 of 914 (77,695 Views)
Tutor

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

4.4.2 for the Galaxy S4, yes. But for the S4 Active, it will be awhile. Not as many of them, so of course, ATT lags behind on that one.

I cant believe there are 27 pages of discussion on the note 3 problem, but almost nothing on the S4. I wonder if it is just the S4 Active? they are different beasts.

Message 811 of 914 (3,556 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I drive 2+ hours daily for work, since the update I've been golden however and GPS finally works as it should.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 812 of 914 (3,556 Views)
Scholar

Yes . ATT had poor handling when it came to this situation with GPS . So again I did the trick and showing my step son in the car with GPS problem while in while in my lap in the car . lol I was like " check this out , on my leg/lap my lap GPS signal blinking . Hold phone in my hand ,GPS locks in 5 seconds . Put back in my lap ,stays locked for like 3 seconds and icon starts blinking ." I was thinking doing a video showing everyone lol .
Message 813 of 914 (3,541 Views)
Teacher

I had a regular S4 and had the exact same problem too, it was what prompted me to go to the Note 3. Yesterday for the first time since the 4.4.2 update, I took the trip that always causes GPS drops and had no issues at all. I even had people call and text me and no drops at all. Here's hoping the problem is gone for me.

Message 814 of 914 (3,478 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Thank you to me! I finally solved it. I went to T-Mobile. I got a better package now for a cheaper price! And I used my ATT Note 3 there and trade in a prehistoric phone!

Message 815 of 914 (3,215 Views)
Explorer

So I updated to kitkat and thought the problem was solved but still not a full fix. I still lose GPS signal multiple times during a trip. Although the GPS is still able to pick up the signal after a minute or so after its lost, I still find it really annoying that it drops the signal and I have to wait for it to pick back up before I can proceed with my route. In the end I am still disappointed with this phone and its GPS issues.
Message 816 of 914 (3,109 Views)
Highlighted
Explorer

Wow I just tried this and mine does the exact same thing...
Message 817 of 914 (3,107 Views)
Explorer

The Kit Kat update did not fix this issue. I just did the same drive and the whole trip "GPS Signal Lost". My Tracks shows a loss of signal every couple miles. I'm on a major Highway driving and it has no clue where I am. Most of the signal losses come at the exits which is even more ridiculous. Can't believe nothing is being done about this after all this time!
Message 818 of 914 (3,043 Views)
Tutor

Why do you have trouble believing ATT is doing nothing about it. It took GM over ten years to admit there was a problem with the ignition switch and they were killing people.

But, back on topic.... I have a Galaxy S4 Active. According to ATT, it's software is up to date, Android 4.3. :-(

I have the probem with the GPS dropping all the time. It appears to happen when I am getting switched from one tower to another, since out here in NJ, we have 4G LTE almost everywhere.

BUT - I found the perfect fix! I turn Airplane Mode ON. Then I turn blue tooth back on so my BLE Heart Monitor works and everything works fine. Of course, there are no maps without the internet, but Endmondo still tracks my location and records my speed, etc. I believe it is a problem with the cellular radio grabing the GPS and messing it up when towers change. Probably related to E911 location determination.

So, Thank You ATT for giving me a phone or a GPS for navigation, but not both at the same time. Man, as soon as the contract expires, its bye bye.

But I cannot believe that so few people are expericening this problem. Not many are trying to navigate with thier smart phones? Using TomToms?

Message 819 of 914 (3,047 Views)
Teacher

@rpreuss I feel the same way. You might want to take a look at T-mobile promo. So you dont have to wait for your contract.

Message 820 of 914 (3,031 Views)
Mentor

@rpreuss - Do you have a Note 3? I have both the Note 3 and the S4 Active. My Note 3 gave me problems with GPS discussed in this Note 3 thread. But that was fully fixed in the KitKat update. As far as my S4 Active is concerned, I never experienced the same GPS problems. It may not be on KitKat but it works flawlessly.
Message 821 of 914 (3,003 Views)
Tutor

No, I do not have a Note 3. Only my S4 Active. First, let me re-cap from a couple of pages ago:

A bit of history - Last October I drove from New Jersey to Arkansas and back, using the "Maps" app and Waze. Worked perfectly. Also used Runtastic Pro, Endomondo Pro, and MapMyRide on my bike... NO PROBLEMS. Then, in January, 2014 I updated to Android version 4.3. Now that spring is here, I started trying to use my S4 Active on my bike rides and found the GPS was constantly dropping. I cant say I noticed it was when changing from 4g to 4gLTE, but it was occurring when I was handed from one tower to the next. Repeatable at the same location.

A little more information.

First, I like to use a  small, free app to test the GPS... "GPS Test" by Chartcross Ltd. It is good for showing a quick gps "fix" and I can watch the status in the status bar. Starts flashing and goes solid.

Start driving and after a short while (less than a half mile up to several) the GPS icon in the status bar disappears and the app stops responding. The satellite bars freeze and the displayed speed freezes. Also, the displayed time freezes.

I can then slide down the status bar, turn off the GPS and re-start it, go back to the still running app and it is working again.

Next test, and this always works. While displaying the status of the GPS using GPS Test, CALL THE CELL PHONE! Immediately, the GPS icon in the status bar disappears and the app locks. This is with one ring and then hanging up the call. I don't even answer it.

Repeatable 100% of the time. I cannot believe no one else has the problem. Remember, it all started with Android 4.3 update I did in January.

And, if I turn Airplane Mode ON and then re-enable blue tooth, it works fine. But of course, there is no Internet or cell phone use.

I am just hoping that if and when AT&T releases 4.4 to us S4 Active users that the problem will go away.

Message 822 of 914 (2,948 Views)
Contributor

I stumbled across the Change.org petition that stated that AT&T released the new kitkat 4.4 update to fix this problem. I'm still on the previous version. When I checked for updates it said I was up to date. Any idea on how I can get 4.4?

Thanks

Message 823 of 914 (2,948 Views)
Tutor

I don't believe it!! I just checked with my Galaxy S4 Active, and the new release is currently downloading. So, I will find out tonight and tomorrow if 4.4 fixes the problem for me.

Stay tuned.Smiley Surprised

Message 824 of 914 (2,833 Views)
Explorer

I don't understand how people are saying the gps issue on the note 3 is fixed with the update, because it is not. GPS loses signal all the time still. For those saying it's fixed, try setting it on your lap and see how fast it loses signal. Pretty sure it will happen fairly quickly, then put it in your hand and it will help regain its signal.
Message 825 of 914 (2,719 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.