The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

Well,  I did 120 miles of cycling this weekend, tracked with Mapmyride, all without error.  This would have simply been impossible prior to the update.   All excellently tracked, and matching very well with my on-bike odometer as far as time and distance.  I'm a happy camper !

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/520883836

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/520112440

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Its been been 5 days and I finally took a longer drive with my phone.  It was fine this morning.  Noticed 1 small loss, but it recovered very quickly.  My drive home today was not so nice.  I would drop for extended periods and as far as I can tell, it wasn't related to switching networks like before.  It was dropping in places it had never dropped before.  Some times it would recover, but not always and after waiting for over a minute, I'd disable GPS and restart it, but I found that if I didn't give it a few seconds, five seemed to work, it would not lock.  Before I could tap off tap on and it would recover.  I have to test more, but I have some indication that plug/unplug is one again causing issues.  I rebooted the phone and that didn't seem to make much of a difference.  I'll update as I have more. 

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

I was driving this afternoon and noticed that my GPS lost its lock and Google Maps. My icon stopped and I could see it attempt to reconnect again. After about 15 to 20 seconds, it picked it up again and shot my icon to my actual location. I started watching it like a hawk again and noticed it happen again. The total drive was ~ 5 minutes and it lost GPS lock 3 times during that short drive.

It eventually picked it back up, but there was definitely a time where something was off.

This is the first time that I noticed anything funky since the update last week. Not setting off alarm bells yet, but something was odd about today.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Okay so, I was the one who had the refurbished Note 3 that AT&T sent me (which also had the GPS problem) into Samsung.

Samsuing did repair it, and MyTracks + Google Nav worked fine on both MJ5 and NB4, as well as the newest 4.4.2 android update.

HOWEVER, samsung claimed in the warranty paperwork that they replaced "MEA FRONT-OCTA ASSY(SVC/BLK)", with the repair description "1 Replaced LCD". They said in the email that the LCD had lines in it. (I THOUGHT IT WAS PERFECT!!)  It says nothing about the "Symptom: WEAK SIGNAL/COVERAGE GPS ERROR DISPLAY"....

This is odd because I once had a Note 2 sent into Samsung to fix a problem with the headphone jack. In that scenario, they told me the screen also had lines in it and they had to replace it. They wanted ot charge me almost $200 for the repair before they would send it back ot me, claiming the warranty is void because I must have dropped the phone in order to damage the screne. In that scenario, I also had NO COMPLAINT WHATSOEVER about the screen.  After 2 weeks of complaining and esclation, they finally agreed to cover the cost of the repair and sent it back ot me. The headphone problem was completely gone.... (How could a replaced LCD fix the headphone problem?? I dont know..)

So it appears to me that samsung claims they just rpelaced the screen in order to avoid admitting any fault about whatever defect the phone might have while still under warranty. This second repair experience with Note 3 supports it.

Anyway, After samsung repaired it, it worked fine. But since the GPS fix/kitkat was released, I just upgraded my original phone to that software, and now my original phone works fine too. so I sent back the one AT&T sent me.

I have no complaints about my phone now .... it works perfectly.

One thing I will say ... maybe everyone sohuld consider sending their note 3 into samsung **while still under warranty* so that they can replace your LCD screen even though it looks perfectly fine...... apparently that fixes a lot of other problems, too.

Explorer

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

My phone keeps rebooting on its own since the update. The gps still loses signal just not add much as it used to. Anyone else have their phone turn off for no reason? Not sure what to do. Happens at least twice a day now. Not happy!

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

Ok I beginning to think this just was a temporary fix or it just helped GPS sometimes.  Used MapMyRide app on my Note 3 and did 3 blocks for 3 miles. Made sure GPS was on before I started my track. Finally made it home and red track looked like a kid scribbled red marker all over the map . Wish I took a screen shot to see but didn't save it . The "fabled update " had GPS working temporarily same as factory resetting your phone to get a temporary 2 day fix. This is ridiculous ! 

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

@mastaofdacat wrote:

Ok I beginning to think this just was a temporary fix or it just helped GPS sometimes.  Used MapMyRide app on my Note 3 and did 3 blocks for 3 miles. Made sure GPS was on before I started my track. Finally made it home and red track looked like a kid scribbled red marker all over the map . Wish I took a screen shot to see but didn't save it . The "fabled update " had GPS working temporarily same as factory resetting your phone to get a temporary 2 day fix. This is ridiculous ! 

Dunno man...  I have a few hundred miles logged with MMR now since the update.  I have had 1 error where the entire cell & GPS system seemed to lockup and I had no coverage and GPS was frozen and it required a restart..  It was certainly a different symptop from what we saw in the past and has happened only once so i'm writing it off for now.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I just posted this on the Android Central Forums where someone posted the same issue with the Galaxy S4 Active.....

I just finished reading the 27 pages of the Note 3 GPS Issue on the ATT Community Forums. I have an S4 Active with the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. And, if I disabled the phone (Airplane mode) the GPS works just fine.

A bit of history - Last October I drove from New Jersey to Arkansas and back, using the "Maps" app and Waze. Worked perfectly. Also used Runtastic Pro, Endomondo Pro, and MapMyRide on my bike... NO PROBLEMS. Then, in January, 2014 I updated to Android version 4.3. Now that spring is here, I started trying to use my S4 Active on my bike rides and found the GPS was constantly dropping. I cant say I noticed it was when changing from 4g to 4gLTE, but it was occurring when I was handed from one tower to the next. Repeatable at the same location.

So, it looks like we are going to have to wait until 4.4.2 comes out before we can use our expensive phone as a navigation tool. Thanks, ATT.

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

So I used the GPS and Nav. today for a 30 minute trip .On the way to my location GPS never locked on . Used it again on the way home but did something different . I usually have the phone laying in my lap while driving . Well when it still didn't lock, I just picked up the phone and held it in my hand . GPS locked and navigation worked instantly . Put the phone back on my lap ...lost signal . Held the phone again ....locked on instantly. Then thought it could be the phone laying down issue so I layed it down on the center console ...still worked perfectly ! What is the deal !?!

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@rpreuss I thought 4.4.2 was already available for GALAXY s4?

@mastaofdacat the human body is an excellent signal attenuator.. I've seen radios bluetooth devices and cellphones have signal reception problems simply from touching a body. Maybe you were close to not getting a signal as it was and then coming close to your skin sent it over. That could also reflect wifi or cellular from one antenna and interfere another. Not that unusual I would think.m
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.