Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

913 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
View all replies
(913)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 11:13:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Downloaded the 4.4.2 update yesterday, did a Helium backup and performed a cache wipe and factory reset. Haven't have ONE GPS issue as of yet and the battery seems to be running on par with my 4.3 usage. Will tell the whole story soon enough.

Thanks, ATT for the update that actually fixed the issue. Next time, keep your customers posted. I almost dumped you for T-Mobile simply to stay on the GSM network.

Downloaded the 4.4.2 update yesterday, did a Helium backup and performed a cache wipe and factory reset. Haven't have ONE GPS issue as of yet and the battery seems to be running on par with my 4.3 usage. Will tell the whole story soon enough.

Thanks, ATT for the update that actually fixed the issue. Next time, keep your customers posted. I almost dumped you for T-Mobile simply to stay on the GSM network.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

781 of 914 (3,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 1:50:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

Google maps works after the update. But, nothing else does. Android Device manager cant even find the phone.

Google maps works after the update. But, nothing else does. Android Device manager cant even find the phone.

782 of 914 (3,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 3:16:42 PM
(0)
Explorer

My wife just drove about 180 miles.  Said it was stable the whole way.  Not an issue to be seen.

I think we are seeing good things.

My wife just drove about 180 miles.  Said it was stable the whole way.  Not an issue to be seen.

I think we are seeing good things.

783 of 914 (3,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 7:47:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
It works. Thanks.

In the future...

Please acknowledge there is a problem.

Please communicate with owners who have the problem.

Please communicate with FUTURE owners who are buying INTO the problem.

Please don't take 4+ months to fix a major problem.

You've needlessly lost customers over the way you handled this issue. However, you lost far less than you deserved. When contract time comes again, many of us will remember how we were treated.

But at least it's now fixed.
It works. Thanks.

In the future...

Please acknowledge there is a problem.

Please communicate with owners who have the problem.

Please communicate with FUTURE owners who are buying INTO the problem.

Please don't take 4+ months to fix a major problem.

You've needlessly lost customers over the way you handled this issue. However, you lost far less than you deserved. When contract time comes again, many of us will remember how we were treated.

But at least it's now fixed.

784 of 914 (3,277 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 7:48:38 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by james27007 on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:49:59 PM

Well I'm back. For those that remember, I was the one that did a week long test and found out the issue only started around 24 hours after inserting the sim card on a factory reset.

Anyways, I downloaded and installed the update last night about 9ish. I did not do a factory reset, just installed the update and went from there. During the download, I verified the plug/unplug issue and LTE to 4G switch issue was still there.

Update installed and everything seems to work great.

Well so far after a long day of testing the gps and trying everything I could to get it to fail, it is still working. Now I have yet to hit the 24 & 48 hour marks, but so far things look good.

I have my fingers crossed that the issue is fixed and this is not the 24 fake fix we saw after a factory reset.

I'll update tomorrow and again on Sunday (which will be the 48 hour mark)...

On the even more plus side, I love the new GPS settings

Well I'm back. For those that remember, I was the one that did a week long test and found out the issue only started around 24 hours after inserting the sim card on a factory reset.

Anyways, I downloaded and installed the update last night about 9ish. I did not do a factory reset, just installed the update and went from there. During the download, I verified the plug/unplug issue and LTE to 4G switch issue was still there.

Update installed and everything seems to work great.

Well so far after a long day of testing the gps and trying everything I could to get it to fail, it is still working. Now I have yet to hit the 24 & 48 hour marks, but so far things look good.

I have my fingers crossed that the issue is fixed and this is not the 24 fake fix we saw after a factory reset.

I'll update tomorrow and again on Sunday (which will be the 48 hour mark)...

On the even more plus side, I love the new GPS settings

[ Edited ]
785 of 914 (3,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 9:00:00 PM
(0)
Mentor
My GPS still works more than 24 hours later. Knock on wood. But I found one problem so far. My Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth headset is now causing a wake lock killing my battery at a much faster rate. This only happened after the KitKat update.
My GPS still works more than 24 hours later. Knock on wood. But I found one problem so far. My Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth headset is now causing a wake lock killing my battery at a much faster rate. This only happened after the KitKat update.

786 of 914 (3,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 9:01:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
My other Bluetooth headset from another brand still works fine.
My other Bluetooth headset from another brand still works fine.

787 of 914 (3,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 9:42:37 PM
(0)
Scholar
Go to Bluetooth Share in application in app list . Clear it out and restart on pairing devices back to phone. Had this happen to my headset ....on 4.3 though. Hope it works bud!
Go to Bluetooth Share in application in app list . Clear it out and restart on pairing devices back to phone. Had this happen to my headset ....on 4.3 though. Hope it works bud!

788 of 914 (3,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 2:18:04 AM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks @mastaofdacat! That did it.
Thanks @mastaofdacat! That did it.

789 of 914 (3,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 2:46:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
Only negative I notice since the update to kitkat are text messages are quite often out of order both sending and receiving. I'll see text #4 before I see #2 in order and so forth. However I think this is a general kitkat issue as a Google search reveals this issue with other models and carriers on kitkat.
Only negative I notice since the update to kitkat are text messages are quite often out of order both sending and receiving. I'll see text #4 before I see #2 in order and so forth. However I think this is a general kitkat issue as a Google search reveals this issue with other models and carriers on kitkat.

790 of 914 (3,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 7:51:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

Since you did a Factory Reset, not sure if this will help, but try this.

Go to Settings > General > Application manager

Swipe over till you can see "ALL" apps

Scroll down to AT&T Software update

Clear cache and clear data

Then go to Google Services Framework

Then Restart and see if that works

I don't know about Samsung AT&T updates, but this works for my NExus 7 when I want to force an update most of the time.

Since you did a Factory Reset, not sure if this will help, but try this.

Go to Settings > General > Application manager

Swipe over till you can see "ALL" apps

Scroll down to AT&T Software update

Then go to Google Services Framework

Then Restart and see if that works

I don't know about Samsung AT&T updates, but this works for my NExus 7 when I want to force an update most of the time.

Getting the Update

791 of 914 (3,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 8:04:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

Same here, after the 24 hour mark. Still working perfectly.

Same here, after the 24 hour mark. Still working perfectly.

792 of 914 (3,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 8:39:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

If you changed the time or date on your phone to do the update it will confuse the text messaging app. Mine did that. I cleared everything out deleted all messages and it works fine now. 

If you changed the time or date on your phone to do the update it will confuse the text messaging app. Mine did that. I cleared everything out deleted all messages and it works fine now. 

793 of 914 (3,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 8:51:21 AM
(0)
Mentor
Sadly I did not so that is not the issue here, their are however several reported cases of this on kitkat (not model or carrier specific) may try a reset next.
Sadly I did not so that is not the issue here, their are however several reported cases of this on kitkat (not model or carrier specific) may try a reset next.

794 of 914 (3,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 9:03:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

Mine is working fine. so far I think this is the first update att didn't mess up 

Mine is working fine. so far I think this is the first update att didn't mess up 

795 of 914 (3,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 6:15:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
New gps settings?
New gps settings?

796 of 914 (3,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2014 10:01:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

Ok guys here we go.. I got a negative update . Its been 2 days for having update fix and Ive been using GPS .Working great on little 5 mile trips here and there.  I finally had to take a 45 min drive thru Houston using Google Maps Navigation  . Got on freeway for 15 min and my navigation arrow starting bouncing around on side roads and GPS icon started blinking for about a minute then locked back on. Drove 10 more miles ,getting close to downtown and GPS icon started blinking again for almost 10 min but my navigation arrow still keeping up with my location. It eventually locked back on after that until had another GPS icon blinking issue. Did this for another 10 minutes and getting out of downtown .When I got off the freeway it locked back until I got to my destination rest of the way which was another 7 miles . Now this worried me alot and me going "oh great here we go "but on the bright side GPS still performing better than before. I'm hoping it was just a issue driving through a big city but I never had this issue at all through Houston with my last phone, the Note 2 . Anyone else having issues through big cities or any other problems yet? 

Ok guys here we go.. I got a negative update . Its been 2 days for having update fix and Ive been using GPS .Working great on little 5 mile trips here and there.  I finally had to take a 45 min drive thru Houston using Google Maps Navigation  . Got on freeway for 15 min and my navigation arrow starting bouncing around on side roads and GPS icon started blinking for about a minute then locked back on. Drove 10 more miles ,getting close to downtown and GPS icon started blinking again for almost 10 min but my navigation arrow still keeping up with my location. It eventually locked back on after that until had another GPS icon blinking issue. Did this for another 10 minutes and getting out of downtown .When I got off the freeway it locked back until I got to my destination rest of the way which was another 7 miles . Now this worried me alot and me going "oh great here we go "but on the bright side GPS still performing better than before. I'm hoping it was just a issue driving through a big city but I never had this issue at all through Houston with my last phone, the Note 2 . Anyone else having issues through big cities or any other problems yet? 

797 of 914 (3,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 6:20:17 AM
(0)
Mentor
Haven't used mine much yet but sitting in a restaurant yesterday I watched my icon bounce around a five hundred foot area. While moving though it seemed fine. I don't get out much so it's going to take a while to test. it
Haven't used mine much yet but sitting in a restaurant yesterday I watched my icon bounce around a five hundred foot area. While moving though it seemed fine. I don't get out much so it's going to take a while to test. it

798 of 914 (3,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 6:49:40 AM
(0)
Voyager
@blackjack II, I can't seem to be able to clear data for AT&T Software update application (the button is just dark and untappable). I tried the rest of the steps, but my note 3 still can't get the update yet Smiley Sad.
@blackjack II, I can't seem to be able to clear data for AT&T Software update application (the button is just dark and untappable). I tried the rest of the steps, but my note 3 still can't get the update yet Smiley Sad.

799 of 914 (3,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 7:38:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
This is where AT&T can actually help. I wonder if it's possible for them to block off groups of phones to prevent sever overload.
This is where AT&T can actually help. I wonder if it's possible for them to block off groups of phones to prevent sever overload.

800 of 914 (3,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2014 3:40:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well,  I did 120 miles of cycling this weekend, tracked with Mapmyride, all without error.  This would have simply been impossible prior to the update.   All excellently tracked, and matching very well with my on-bike odometer as far as time and distance.  I'm a happy camper !

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/520883836

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/520112440

Well,  I did 120 miles of cycling this weekend, tracked with Mapmyride, all without error.  This would have simply been impossible prior to the update.   All excellently tracked, and matching very well with my on-bike odometer as far as time and distance.  I'm a happy camper !

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/520883836

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/520112440

801 of 914 (2,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 3:40:22 PM
(0)
Explorer

Its been been 5 days and I finally took a longer drive with my phone.  It was fine this morning.  Noticed 1 small loss, but it recovered very quickly.  My drive home today was not so nice.  I would drop for extended periods and as far as I can tell, it wasn't related to switching networks like before.  It was dropping in places it had never dropped before.  Some times it would recover, but not always and after waiting for over a minute, I'd disable GPS and restart it, but I found that if I didn't give it a few seconds, five seemed to work, it would not lock.  Before I could tap off tap on and it would recover.  I have to test more, but I have some indication that plug/unplug is one again causing issues.  I rebooted the phone and that didn't seem to make much of a difference.  I'll update as I have more. 

Its been been 5 days and I finally took a longer drive with my phone.  It was fine this morning.  Noticed 1 small loss, but it recovered very quickly.  My drive home today was not so nice.  I would drop for extended periods and as far as I can tell, it wasn't related to switching networks like before.  It was dropping in places it had never dropped before.  Some times it would recover, but not always and after waiting for over a minute, I'd disable GPS and restart it, but I found that if I didn't give it a few seconds, five seemed to work, it would not lock.  Before I could tap off tap on and it would recover.  I have to test more, but I have some indication that plug/unplug is one again causing issues.  I rebooted the phone and that didn't seem to make much of a difference.  I'll update as I have more. 

802 of 914 (2,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 6:44:58 PM
(0)
Mentor
I was driving this afternoon and noticed that my GPS lost its lock and Google Maps. My icon stopped and I could see it attempt to reconnect again. After about 15 to 20 seconds, it picked it up again and shot my icon to my actual location. I started watching it like a hawk again and noticed it happen again. The total drive was ~ 5 minutes and it lost GPS lock 3 times during that short drive.

It eventually picked it back up, but there was definitely a time where something was off.

This is the first time that I noticed anything funky since the update last week. Not setting off alarm bells yet, but something was odd about today.
I was driving this afternoon and noticed that my GPS lost its lock and Google Maps. My icon stopped and I could see it attempt to reconnect again. After about 15 to 20 seconds, it picked it up again and shot my icon to my actual location. I started watching it like a hawk again and noticed it happen again. The total drive was ~ 5 minutes and it lost GPS lock 3 times during that short drive.

It eventually picked it back up, but there was definitely a time where something was off.

This is the first time that I noticed anything funky since the update last week. Not setting off alarm bells yet, but something was odd about today.

803 of 914 (2,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 9:18:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

Okay so, I was the one who had the refurbished Note 3 that AT&T sent me (which also had the GPS problem) into Samsung.

Samsuing did repair it, and MyTracks + Google Nav worked fine on both MJ5 and NB4, as well as the newest 4.4.2 android update.

HOWEVER, samsung claimed in the warranty paperwork that they replaced "MEA FRONT-OCTA ASSY(SVC/BLK)", with the repair description "1 Replaced LCD". They said in the email that the LCD had lines in it. (I THOUGHT IT WAS PERFECT!!)  It says nothing about the "Symptom: WEAK SIGNAL/COVERAGE GPS ERROR DISPLAY"....

This is odd because I once had a Note 2 sent into Samsung to fix a problem with the headphone jack. In that scenario, they told me the screen also had lines in it and they had to replace it. They wanted ot charge me almost $200 for the repair before they would send it back ot me, claiming the warranty is void because I must have dropped the phone in order to damage the screne. In that scenario, I also had NO COMPLAINT WHATSOEVER about the screen.  After 2 weeks of complaining and esclation, they finally agreed to cover the cost of the repair and sent it back ot me. The headphone problem was completely gone.... (How could a replaced LCD fix the headphone problem?? I dont know..)

So it appears to me that samsung claims they just rpelaced the screen in order to avoid admitting any fault about whatever defect the phone might have while still under warranty. This second repair experience with Note 3 supports it.

Anyway, After samsung repaired it, it worked fine. But since the GPS fix/kitkat was released, I just upgraded my original phone to that software, and now my original phone works fine too. so I sent back the one AT&T sent me.

I have no complaints about my phone now .... it works perfectly.

One thing I will say ... maybe everyone sohuld consider sending their note 3 into samsung **while still under warranty* so that they can replace your LCD screen even though it looks perfectly fine...... apparently that fixes a lot of other problems, too.

Okay so, I was the one who had the refurbished Note 3 that AT&T sent me (which also had the GPS problem) into Samsung.

Samsuing did repair it, and MyTracks + Google Nav worked fine on both MJ5 and NB4, as well as the newest 4.4.2 android update.

HOWEVER, samsung claimed in the warranty paperwork that they replaced "MEA FRONT-OCTA ASSY(SVC/BLK)", with the repair description "1 Replaced LCD". They said in the email that the LCD had lines in it. (I THOUGHT IT WAS PERFECT!!)  It says nothing about the "Symptom: WEAK SIGNAL/COVERAGE GPS ERROR DISPLAY"....

This is odd because I once had a Note 2 sent into Samsung to fix a problem with the headphone jack. In that scenario, they told me the screen also had lines in it and they had to replace it. They wanted ot charge me almost $200 for the repair before they would send it back ot me, claiming the warranty is void because I must have dropped the phone in order to damage the screne. In that scenario, I also had NO COMPLAINT WHATSOEVER about the screen.  After 2 weeks of complaining and esclation, they finally agreed to cover the cost of the repair and sent it back ot me. The headphone problem was completely gone.... (How could a replaced LCD fix the headphone problem?? I dont know..)

So it appears to me that samsung claims they just rpelaced the screen in order to avoid admitting any fault about whatever defect the phone might have while still under warranty. This second repair experience with Note 3 supports it.

Anyway, After samsung repaired it, it worked fine. But since the GPS fix/kitkat was released, I just upgraded my original phone to that software, and now my original phone works fine too. so I sent back the one AT&T sent me.

I have no complaints about my phone now .... it works perfectly.

One thing I will say ... maybe everyone sohuld consider sending their note 3 into samsung **while still under warranty* so that they can replace your LCD screen even though it looks perfectly fine...... apparently that fixes a lot of other problems, too.

804 of 914 (2,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 7:44:53 PM
(0)
Explorer
My phone keeps rebooting on its own since the update. The gps still loses signal just not add much as it used to. Anyone else have their phone turn off for no reason? Not sure what to do. Happens at least twice a day now. Not happy!
My phone keeps rebooting on its own since the update. The gps still loses signal just not add much as it used to. Anyone else have their phone turn off for no reason? Not sure what to do. Happens at least twice a day now. Not happy!

805 of 914 (2,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 7:19:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Ok I beginning to think this just was a temporary fix or it just helped GPS sometimes.  Used MapMyRide app on my Note 3 and did 3 blocks for 3 miles. Made sure GPS was on before I started my track. Finally made it home and red track looked like a kid scribbled red marker all over the map . Wish I took a screen shot to see but didn't save it . The "fabled update " had GPS working temporarily same as factory resetting your phone to get a temporary 2 day fix. This is ridiculous ! 

Ok I beginning to think this just was a temporary fix or it just helped GPS sometimes.  Used MapMyRide app on my Note 3 and did 3 blocks for 3 miles. Made sure GPS was on before I started my track. Finally made it home and red track looked like a kid scribbled red marker all over the map . Wish I took a screen shot to see but didn't save it . The "fabled update " had GPS working temporarily same as factory resetting your phone to get a temporary 2 day fix. This is ridiculous ! 

806 of 914 (2,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 3:29:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

mastaofdacat wrote:

Dunno man...  I have a few hundred miles logged with MMR now since the update.  I have had 1 error where the entire cell & GPS system seemed to lockup and I had no coverage and GPS was frozen and it required a restart..  It was certainly a different symptop from what we saw in the past and has happened only once so i'm writing it off for now.  

mastaofdacat wrote:

Dunno man...  I have a few hundred miles logged with MMR now since the update.  I have had 1 error where the entire cell & GPS system seemed to lockup and I had no coverage and GPS was frozen and it required a restart..  It was certainly a different symptop from what we saw in the past and has happened only once so i'm writing it off for now.  

807 of 914 (2,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:25:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just posted this on the Android Central Forums where someone posted the same issue with the Galaxy S4 Active.....

I just finished reading the 27 pages of the Note 3 GPS Issue on the ATT Community Forums. I have an S4 Active with the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. And, if I disabled the phone (Airplane mode) the GPS works just fine.

A bit of history - Last October I drove from New Jersey to Arkansas and back, using the "Maps" app and Waze. Worked perfectly. Also used Runtastic Pro, Endomondo Pro, and MapMyRide on my bike... NO PROBLEMS. Then, in January, 2014 I updated to Android version 4.3. Now that spring is here, I started trying to use my S4 Active on my bike rides and found the GPS was constantly dropping. I cant say I noticed it was when changing from 4g to 4gLTE, but it was occurring when I was handed from one tower to the next. Repeatable at the same location.

So, it looks like we are going to have to wait until 4.4.2 comes out before we can use our expensive phone as a navigation tool. Thanks, ATT.
I just posted this on the Android Central Forums where someone posted the same issue with the Galaxy S4 Active.....

I just finished reading the 27 pages of the Note 3 GPS Issue on the ATT Community Forums. I have an S4 Active with the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS. And, if I disabled the phone (Airplane mode) the GPS works just fine.

A bit of history - Last October I drove from New Jersey to Arkansas and back, using the "Maps" app and Waze. Worked perfectly. Also used Runtastic Pro, Endomondo Pro, and MapMyRide on my bike... NO PROBLEMS. Then, in January, 2014 I updated to Android version 4.3. Now that spring is here, I started trying to use my S4 Active on my bike rides and found the GPS was constantly dropping. I cant say I noticed it was when changing from 4g to 4gLTE, but it was occurring when I was handed from one tower to the next. Repeatable at the same location.

So, it looks like we are going to have to wait until 4.4.2 comes out before we can use our expensive phone as a navigation tool. Thanks, ATT.

808 of 914 (2,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 2:49:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
So I used the GPS and Nav. today for a 30 minute trip .On the way to my location GPS never locked on . Used it again on the way home but did something different . I usually have the phone laying in my lap while driving . Well when it still didn't lock, I just picked up the phone and held it in my hand . GPS locked and navigation worked instantly . Put the phone back on my lap ...lost signal . Held the phone again ....locked on instantly. Then thought it could be the phone laying down issue so I layed it down on the center console ...still worked perfectly ! What is the deal !?!
So I used the GPS and Nav. today for a 30 minute trip .On the way to my location GPS never locked on . Used it again on the way home but did something different . I usually have the phone laying in my lap while driving . Well when it still didn't lock, I just picked up the phone and held it in my hand . GPS locked and navigation worked instantly . Put the phone back on my lap ...lost signal . Held the phone again ....locked on instantly. Then thought it could be the phone laying down issue so I layed it down on the center console ...still worked perfectly ! What is the deal !?!

809 of 914 (2,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 6:06:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
@rpreuss I thought 4.4.2 was already available for GALAXY s4?

@mastaofdacat the human body is an excellent signal attenuator.. I've seen radios bluetooth devices and cellphones have signal reception problems simply from touching a body. Maybe you were close to not getting a signal as it was and then coming close to your skin sent it over. That could also reflect wifi or cellular from one antenna and interfere another. Not that unusual I would think.m
@rpreuss I thought 4.4.2 was already available for GALAXY s4?

@mastaofdacat the human body is an excellent signal attenuator.. I've seen radios bluetooth devices and cellphones have signal reception problems simply from touching a body. Maybe you were close to not getting a signal as it was and then coming close to your skin sent it over. That could also reflect wifi or cellular from one antenna and interfere another. Not that unusual I would think.m

810 of 914 (2,150 Views)