Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
913 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(913)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:29:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Let's hope for those fixes!!

Let's hope for those fixes!!

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

751 of 914 (6,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Hello, everyone!

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

752 of 914 (6,047 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:40:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

^^^^lol as always to slow

^^^^lol as always to slow

753 of 914 (6,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:41:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

just finished testing.  i have 3 very specific spots within a mile that broke gps.  for the most part, it looks fixed.  HOWEVER, it did drop in 1 of the 3 spots, but the gps reestablished itself within about 10 seconds, or about 1 short block of around 40 yards or so.  i went around that circle pattern 3 times and each time i got the same results, fixed for the most part but still drops in that same exact spot ... only to recover very quickly.

caveat: that spot is well know in this area for very poor reception, if any at all.  that may have something to do with it, but i would think gps is separate from all other connection types.

im going to stay on this distribution list until others have a chance to verify.

just finished testing.  i have 3 very specific spots within a mile that broke gps.  for the most part, it looks fixed.  HOWEVER, it did drop in 1 of the 3 spots, but the gps reestablished itself within about 10 seconds, or about 1 short block of around 40 yards or so.  i went around that circle pattern 3 times and each time i got the same results, fixed for the most part but still drops in that same exact spot ... only to recover very quickly.

caveat: that spot is well know in this area for very poor reception, if any at all.  that may have something to do with it, but i would think gps is separate from all other connection types.

im going to stay on this distribution list until others have a chance to verify.

754 of 914 (6,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:52:29 AM
(0)
Scholar

kirk-icap wrote:

Phone GPS's typically rely on bothe GPS signal and data connection for quick updates.  I wouldnt be surprised to see a dead spot cause issues for any phone.

kirk-icap wrote:

Phone GPS's typically rely on bothe GPS signal and data connection for quick updates.  I wouldnt be surprised to see a dead spot cause issues for any phone.

755 of 914 (6,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:29:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

It finally works!!!  Thanks AT&T!  Cheers to everyone!

It finally works!!!  Thanks AT&T!  Cheers to everyone!

756 of 914 (5,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:36:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

Did you check battery performance?_ What about the read only external SC Card issue?

Did you check battery performance?_ What about the read only external SC Card issue?

757 of 914 (5,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:43:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

WHOOOOA THIS PHONE BLAZES FAST!  Ill keep updating! 

WHOOOOA THIS PHONE BLAZES FAST!  Ill keep updating! 

758 of 914 (5,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:47:05 AM
(0)
Explorer

The only way I could faithfully reproduce this was to get a GPS lock first then plug in a charger.  This would without fail kill the GPS.  Just tried it now and the GPS lock is still there!  I'll test later in my car but so far looks good!

The only way I could faithfully reproduce this was to get a GPS lock first then plug in a charger.  This would without fail kill the GPS.  Just tried it now and the GPS lock is still there!  I'll test later in my car but so far looks good!

759 of 914 (5,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:58:28 AM
(0)
Scholar
lol I gotta say this ...im gonna test the gps on a mini road trip today and if it works ...THIS IS THE BEST IMPROVEMENT UPDATE I EVER GOT ON ANY PHONE ! did I say in another post this phone is now really fast .geezy soon as I wake and unlock to my screen BAMM ! Its crazy smooth too. only gps test I done in the house and random navigate a place .gps locked in like 2.5 seconds ! crossing fingers on road trip test ! could it be .....WE HAIL TO THE RENEW GALAXY NOTE 3 😊 ! Sorry waited forever for this update !
lol I gotta say this ...im gonna test the gps on a mini road trip today and if it works ...THIS IS THE BEST IMPROVEMENT UPDATE I EVER GOT ON ANY PHONE ! did I say in another post this phone is now really fast .geezy soon as I wake and unlock to my screen BAMM ! Its crazy smooth too. only gps test I done in the house and random navigate a place .gps locked in like 2.5 seconds ! crossing fingers on road trip test ! could it be .....WE HAIL TO THE RENEW GALAXY NOTE 3 😊 ! Sorry waited forever for this update !

760 of 914 (5,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:05:11 AM
(0)
Mentor
Haven't tested the battery performance. Seems to be draining at its usual rate for me. The external memory is working as is as well. Still won't move the app data but will move the app itself but is limited to x MBs. Not sure what that number is now. I was able to move 66.06 MB of Angry Birds Star Wars to my SD card. Not sure what else is there to test with the SD card as I only use it for media and a few apps.
Haven't tested the battery performance. Seems to be draining at its usual rate for me. The external memory is working as is as well. Still won't move the app data but will move the app itself but is limited to x MBs. Not sure what that number is now. I was able to move 66.06 MB of Angry Birds Star Wars to my SD card. Not sure what else is there to test with the SD card as I only use it for media and a few apps.

761 of 914 (5,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:08:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

I installed the update this morning and immediately took a little drive for about 5 miles using Google navigation. No drops on the way. Tried the plug in power trick during navigation, which normally would cause my gps lock to immediately drop and never return. No drop this time. Plugged and unplugged it about 5 times, stayed locked! :smileyvery-happy:. So, a big improvement.  Also,  the Google map defaulted to the satellite view and it seemed like the navigation voice has improved.

I installed the update this morning and immediately took a little drive for about 5 miles using Google navigation. No drops on the way. Tried the plug in power trick during navigation, which normally would cause my gps lock to immediately drop and never return. No drop this time. Plugged and unplugged it about 5 times, stayed locked! :smileyvery-happy:. So, a big improvement.  Also,  the Google map defaulted to the satellite view and it seemed like the navigation voice has improved.

762 of 914 (5,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:09:04 AM
(0)
Mentor
Sure is a lot faster. I'm really starting to enjoy this phone now after 3 months. :smileyhappy:
Sure is a lot faster. I'm really starting to enjoy this phone now after 3 months. :smileyhappy:

763 of 914 (5,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:27:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

SB20 wrote:

For users who have installed Navigon with all maps and Sky safari, it could be a problem, the data of these apps will consume about 4 gb of internal storage instead of external SD Card

SB20 wrote:

For users who have installed Navigon with all maps and Sky safari, it could be a problem, the data of these apps will consume about 4 gb of internal storage instead of external SD Card

764 of 914 (5,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:43:47 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ranmaniac on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:56:03 AM

I went out and took a 7 mile ride in a local old residential district for luncch with lots of tree cover, using my favorite tracking app "Mapmyride" and just drove at cycling speeds,  15-20 mph.  I purposely took as many turns as possible, trying to trip it up and it stayed with me for the entire ride.  The granularity in the curves was quite nice as well.  This is where the previous version would often get tripped up.  

It's not impossible that the previous version would go error free for a 7 mile ride and I've never actually rode this particular route before buit things sure do look promising.  

track.PNG

By comparison,  This is what it may have looked like before the fix.  This, of course, is a different route but the red shapely, highlighted line is teh actual route ridden and the straight red line is what the lost-in-the weeds GPS said I did when it finally discovered itself.  It was maybe 1 in 10 rides where I would be lucky enough to go completely error free.

error.PNG

I went out and took a 7 mile ride in a local old residential district for luncch with lots of tree cover, using my favorite tracking app "Mapmyride" and just drove at cycling speeds,  15-20 mph.  I purposely took as many turns as possible, trying to trip it up and it stayed with me for the entire ride.  The granularity in the curves was quite nice as well.  This is where the previous version would often get tripped up.  

It's not impossible that the previous version would go error free for a 7 mile ride and I've never actually rode this particular route before buit things sure do look promising.  

track.PNG

By comparison,  This is what it may have looked like before the fix.  This, of course, is a different route but the red shapely, highlighted line is teh actual route ridden and the straight red line is what the lost-in-the weeds GPS said I did when it finally discovered itself.  It was maybe 1 in 10 rides where I would be lucky enough to go completely error free.

error.PNG

[ Edited ]
765 of 914 (5,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:48:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Ah, I see. But that was already the case with 4.3 right? I believe there are apps that will allow you to move the whole app to an sd card. I hope those apps still work.
Ah, I see. But that was already the case with 4.3 right? I believe there are apps that will allow you to move the whole app to an sd card. I hope those apps still work.

766 of 914 (5,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 11:33:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

I tested it today and so far it's a fix.   The GPS no longer drops when receiving or making calls or texts.   That's a very promising sign.   

I have not yet tested it crossing to and from LTE to 4G zones but I'm confident that if the first concerns are addressed that this will be.

I hope to know more later.

I tested it today and so far it's a fix.   The GPS no longer drops when receiving or making calls or texts.   That's a very promising sign.   

I have not yet tested it crossing to and from LTE to 4G zones but I'm confident that if the first concerns are addressed that this will be.

I hope to know more later.

767 of 914 (5,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 12:30:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

6 months and finally a fix.. AT&T you owe a huge appology to Samsung and your customers.

6 months and finally a fix.. AT&T you owe a huge appology to Samsung and your customers.

768 of 914 (5,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 12:33:38 PM
(0)
Scholar
so far with battery . i turned off location services and have music on for 4 hours it went from 9% in 4 hours . also had BUNCH emails .
so far with battery . i turned off location services and have music on for 4 hours it went from 9% in 4 hours . also had BUNCH emails .

769 of 914 (5,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 1:21:55 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Smartfast on Mar 27, 2014 at 5:26:56 PM

Great to see this available this morning! Very funny ot receive a dozen+ notifications in 2 hours. :smileyhappy:

I had a short conversation with Enuratique. S/he should be paid far far more than s/he is!

Is it so hard for these companies to provide communication to their customers? I know there are concerns of trade secrets/compeition, and that we (tech inclined/aware/and loud customers) are ultimately a very very very small porition of their total customer base ........ but if you want a brand loyalship for decades ... this is not the way to go about it.....

Praise again to Enuratique who risked losing his/her job to give us this great yet simple information. I hope the exec's of thes corporitations take our horrible 6 month+ predicment in consideration when making decision inside of these companies in the future. Transparency goes a long way...

Also, more importnatly, I  hope everyone has a moment to run every test scenario they can in the coming few weeks with this new software!!

I will have two Note3's tomorrow, ... so you can be assured I will test the h e double out of several senarios before delivering my conclusion

Great to see this available this morning! Very funny ot receive a dozen+ notifications in 2 hours. :smileyhappy:

I had a short conversation with Enuratique. S/he should be paid far far more than s/he is!

Is it so hard for these companies to provide communication to their customers? I know there are concerns of trade secrets/compeition, and that we (tech inclined/aware/and loud customers) are ultimately a very very very small porition of their total customer base ........ but if you want a brand loyalship for decades ... this is not the way to go about it.....

Praise again to Enuratique who risked losing his/her job to give us this great yet simple information. I hope the exec's of thes corporitations take our horrible 6 month+ predicment in consideration when making decision inside of these companies in the future. Transparency goes a long way...

Also, more importnatly, I  hope everyone has a moment to run every test scenario they can in the coming few weeks with this new software!!

I will have two Note3's tomorrow, ... so you can be assured I will test the h e double out of several senarios before delivering my conclusion

[ Edited ]
770 of 914 (5,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 2:04:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

16 mile drive home - No issues

16 mile drive home - No issues

771 of 914 (5,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 4:17:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
I can't even download the update :smileysad: I try to check and all it does is say "Software Update Interrupted" Won't even start downloading anything. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I can't even download the update :smileysad: I try to check and all it does is say "Software Update Interrupted" Won't even start downloading anything. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

772 of 914 (5,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 5:14:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Need Factory Reset and then check for new update. The same for me today.

Need Factory Reset and then check for new update. The same for me today.

773 of 914 (5,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 5:33:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

i did a factory reset already with no change :smileysad: 

i did a factory reset already with no change :smileysad: 

774 of 914 (5,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:44:02 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by gbrandonj on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:46:13 PM

You are not the only one, my friend :smileysad: I couldn't get the update either. I did the factory reset and I am still not getting the update. WE ARE HOPELESS.

You are not the only one, my friend :smileysad: I couldn't get the update either. I did the factory reset and I am still not getting the update. WE ARE HOPELESS.

[ Edited ]
775 of 914 (5,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:48:09 PM
(0)
Mentor
Gps seems working for me
Gps seems working for me

776 of 914 (5,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 5:50:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

90 mile drive. - No issues. 

90 mile drive. - No issues. 

777 of 914 (5,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 5:52:15 AM
(0)
Tutor
Factory reset and not login with any account. and check for new update. remember check update with Wifi.
Factory reset and not login with any account. and check for new update. remember check update with Wifi.

778 of 914 (5,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 6:06:28 AM
(0)
Voyager
@vacortina I just gave it a try and it didn't work. II am getting tired of resetting my device.
@vacortina I just gave it a try and it didn't work. II am getting tired of resetting my device.

779 of 914 (5,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 6:41:34 AM
(0)
Voyager
I had updated my phone to Kitty. Everything is working fine for me now. Gps works great now, ( so far ) I used it to hit the trails biking.

To get the update to, I factory reset my device. Logged into a wife only, & it installed.
I had updated my phone to Kitty. Everything is working fine for me now. Gps works great now, ( so far ) I used it to hit the trails biking.

To get the update to, I factory reset my device. Logged into a wife only, & it installed.

780 of 914 (5,136 Views)