Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

913 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
View all replies
(913)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 1:24:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
If we could see a fix as soon as one week from now that would be great. I won't hold breath though given att's history.
If we could see a fix as soon as one week from now that would be great. I won't hold breath though given att's history.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

691 of 914 (3,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 1:25:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

Enuratique wrote:

I have it on good authority that build NC2 passed technical acceptance today and will begin rolling out in one week.

Can you give any more detail? How you know this, what the changelog contains,... anything? Since you obviously know more than any of us, I'd like to make it clear we would love to hear more details from you.

All praise @Enuratique if this is truthful and reliable information

Enuratique wrote:

I have it on good authority that build NC2 passed technical acceptance today and will begin rolling out in one week.

Can you give any more detail? How you know this, what the changelog contains,... anything? Since you obviously know more than any of us, I'd like to make it clear we would love to hear more details from you.

All praise @Enuratique if this is truthful and reliable information

692 of 914 (3,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 1:30:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't have a changelog, per se, but it is the highly anticipated KK update which includes a GPS fix. I haven't tested it myself yet, since I don't want to repave my device with the full binary. I wish I could give more info, but I don't want to risk my job.

I don't have a changelog, per se, but it is the highly anticipated KK update which includes a GPS fix. I haven't tested it myself yet, since I don't want to repave my device with the full binary. I wish I could give more info, but I don't want to risk my job.

693 of 914 (3,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 1:31:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

To wit, if my posts magically disappear, you'll know I'm not lying.

To wit, if my posts magically disappear, you'll know I'm not lying.

694 of 914 (3,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 2:55:46 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Enuratique on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:56:40 PM

Just received word that the rollout will begin this Thursday, March 27th. Your device needs to have already received and installed the NB4 build that was pushed a few weeks ago to receive the update. Keep in mind that FOTA releases are done in waves, so your device may not receive the update on the 27th.

Just received word that the rollout will begin this Thursday, March 27th. Your device needs to have already received and installed the NB4 build that was pushed a few weeks ago to receive the update. Keep in mind that FOTA releases are done in waves, so your device may not receive the update on the 27th.

[ Edited ]
695 of 914 (3,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 6:36:01 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hope it's true. Thank you!
Hope it's true. Thank you!

696 of 914 (3,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 7:53:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
If this guy is just trolling, I hope all of his kids are born naked!
If this guy is just trolling, I hope all of his kids are born naked!

697 of 914 (3,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 10:59:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

I purchase this phone thru Att next, one main purpose is to use it as GPS now I'm lock me, you know traveling to unfamiliar place is annoying using gps the lost signal while you still in a bright sunny day. It is a waste of gas. They should allow me upgrade back as a regular upgrade. Now it like I'm pay for 700usd, hope they allow me to like just a regular upgrade.

I purchase this phone thru Att next, one main purpose is to use it as GPS now I'm lock me, you know traveling to unfamiliar place is annoying using gps the lost signal while you still in a bright sunny day. It is a waste of gas. They should allow me upgrade back as a regular upgrade. Now it like I'm pay for 700usd, hope they allow me to like just a regular upgrade.

698 of 914 (3,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:12:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

pdqgp wrote:

Ranmaniac wrote:
The fact that it will work on some days on a previously traveled route which had griss errors before, with seemingly no correlation to weather, time of day.. Or anything else that is apparent.. Really makes me scratch my head

Read through the details in this thread.   It's related mainly to the changing of signals from LTE/4G such as when changing towers/coverage areas and inbound calls or emails.  You can also get it to drop if you plug it in to a car charger while navigating.  Usually for me it's an inbound call or email.  

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news.  If you have a specific case where it's repeatable, then good for you.  I have multitudes cases where it's not repeatable on a day to day basis, since last september, and it's is NOT isolated to the Note 3.  It began happening to me in a Jelly Bean update on my Note 1 about last September. I use map tracking apps such as Mapmyride, Strava, or Gopogle tracker.  I wrestled with the app developer, assuming It was the app (Mapmyride) for a couple of weeks, then I upgraded to the Note 3, straight from Note 1, and still had the problem.  I was certain it was the app at this point but then tried Strava and Tracker a while later with the same results.   They all exhibit the same behaviour when the GPS drops.  They stall at a given point and then draw a straight line to your current location when they recover, no matter what distance or route youve traveled in between.  

Everybody and their brother's dog with an alternate company's Note 3 out there running around just to prove it's just AT&T..  yay for them..  I dont think anyone is doubting that at this point.  It has no bearing on this discussion and does not lend insight other than the fact that it's an AT&T issue.  

Other people have reported the same issue with the Galaxy Mega.  Perhaps its some combination of the chosen hardware for the larger phones vs a software bug.

To the present...  Just yesterday,  I rode a 53 mile route...  I rode the route out to 26 & change and rode teh exact same route back.  I reset the tracking app at the midway point.  On the way out,  it stalled, burped, & drew straight lines all over the place with no rhyme or reason as to where it stalled other than perhaps I passed under some trees.  On the way back,  I had only one GPS error, about 22 miles into the 26 mile return.  All the previous mileage passing through teh same route where it errored, insanely, before.  

This issue is simply more complicated than the simple observations of "LTE/4G" switching and or power supplu plugging/unplugging.  If it were that simple, it would probably have been fixed already.

pdqgp wrote:

Ranmaniac wrote:
The fact that it will work on some days on a previously traveled route which had griss errors before, with seemingly no correlation to weather, time of day.. Or anything else that is apparent.. Really makes me scratch my head

Read through the details in this thread.   It's related mainly to the changing of signals from LTE/4G such as when changing towers/coverage areas and inbound calls or emails.  You can also get it to drop if you plug it in to a car charger while navigating.  Usually for me it's an inbound call or email.  

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news.  If you have a specific case where it's repeatable, then good for you.  I have multitudes cases where it's not repeatable on a day to day basis, since last september, and it's is NOT isolated to the Note 3.  It began happening to me in a Jelly Bean update on my Note 1 about last September. I use map tracking apps such as Mapmyride, Strava, or Gopogle tracker.  I wrestled with the app developer, assuming It was the app (Mapmyride) for a couple of weeks, then I upgraded to the Note 3, straight from Note 1, and still had the problem.  I was certain it was the app at this point but then tried Strava and Tracker a while later with the same results.   They all exhibit the same behaviour when the GPS drops.  They stall at a given point and then draw a straight line to your current location when they recover, no matter what distance or route youve traveled in between.  

Everybody and their brother's dog with an alternate company's Note 3 out there running around just to prove it's just AT&T..  yay for them..  I dont think anyone is doubting that at this point.  It has no bearing on this discussion and does not lend insight other than the fact that it's an AT&T issue.  

Other people have reported the same issue with the Galaxy Mega.  Perhaps its some combination of the chosen hardware for the larger phones vs a software bug.

To the present...  Just yesterday,  I rode a 53 mile route...  I rode the route out to 26 & change and rode teh exact same route back.  I reset the tracking app at the midway point.  On the way out,  it stalled, burped, & drew straight lines all over the place with no rhyme or reason as to where it stalled other than perhaps I passed under some trees.  On the way back,  I had only one GPS error, about 22 miles into the 26 mile return.  All the previous mileage passing through teh same route where it errored, insanely, before.  

This issue is simply more complicated than the simple observations of "LTE/4G" switching and or power supplu plugging/unplugging.  If it were that simple, it would probably have been fixed already.

699 of 914 (2,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:13:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

@Vetdoctor 

Vetdoctor wrote:

a.

b. There is something in the file that ATT desperately wants on the phone and is involved in the issue.

c.

Yes, The NSA Uber Tracking System

@Vetdoctor 

Vetdoctor wrote:

a.

b. There is something in the file that ATT desperately wants on the phone and is involved in the issue.

c.

Yes, The NSA Uber Tracking System

700 of 914 (2,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:16:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes,  because teh NSA really is interested in your mundane life.

701 of 914 (2,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:20:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ranmaniac wrote:

It is in yours.

Ranmaniac wrote:

It is in yours.

702 of 914 (2,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 6:00:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pdqgp on Mar 26, 2014 at 7:29:11 AM

Ranmaniac wrote:

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news. 

• Nothing I wrote was copied and pasted dude. They are my own words and observations from first hand testing the units we work with at my job.
  • Ruling out the Note 3 overall by comparing success with other carriers is critical to the matter so there can be no finger pointing soley at Samsung
  • Just the same simply rooting and replacing the GPS files fixes the issue further proves the point.  Once the files are replaced the issue is fixed proving AT&T's variation of these files is part of the problem.

In the end, let's hope AT&T fixes their mess up with the pending update.   If not many folks will likely be going through the warranty/replacement routine.  I will be one of the first.

Ranmaniac wrote:

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news. 

• Nothing I wrote was copied and pasted dude. They are my own words and observations from first hand testing the units we work with at my job.
  • Ruling out the Note 3 overall by comparing success with other carriers is critical to the matter so there can be no finger pointing soley at Samsung
  • Just the same simply rooting and replacing the GPS files fixes the issue further proves the point.  Once the files are replaced the issue is fixed proving AT&T's variation of these files is part of the problem.

In the end, let's hope AT&T fixes their mess up with the pending update.   If not many folks will likely be going through the warranty/replacement routine.  I will be one of the first.

[ Edited ]
703 of 914 (2,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 7:48:26 AM
(0)
Voyager
If they don't fix this problem soon I will be going through warranty. This is ridiculous what at&t is doing. This should have been fix already. Every time a carrier get the phones in their hands and start adding things they break something else. They should leave the phones as the manufacturer built them.
If they don't fix this problem soon I will be going through warranty. This is ridiculous what at&t is doing. This should have been fix already. Every time a carrier get the phones in their hands and start adding things they break something else. They should leave the phones as the manufacturer built them.

704 of 914 (2,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 8:57:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
Actually, if any of you NSA fearing types ever bothered ti read the law that gives them this ability, in order for them to used the collected data as evidence against you, you must be suspect of or charged with a crime agaist national security or terrorism. So no.. The NSA is not interested in my ramblings.
Actually, if any of you NSA fearing types ever bothered ti read the law that gives them this ability, in order for them to used the collected data as evidence against you, you must be suspect of or charged with a crime agaist national security or terrorism. So no.. The NSA is not interested in my ramblings.

705 of 914 (2,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:43:10 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by SB20 on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:49:50 AM

Looking forward to the update!

Looking forward to the update!

[ Edited ]
706 of 914 (2,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:46:00 AM
(0)

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

707 of 914 (2,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 9:47:55 AM
(0)
Mentor
@Phil-101

In following your suggestion, could you please please please please get someone from AT&T to give us an official update on how the progress of their fix? Please?

Please?
@Phil-101

In following your suggestion, could you please please please please get someone from AT&T to give us an official update on how the progress of their fix? Please?

Please?

708 of 914 (2,754 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:39:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sweet baby Jesus, AT&T has once again acknowledged the existence of this thread!  There truly is light at the end of the tunnel.  I can't wait for the fine folks at AT&T to release the update to fix GPS soon after the Note 4 is released in October.  Bless you Phil, and bless you AT&T... a truly benevolent master!

Smiley Indifferent

Sweet baby Jesus, AT&T has once again acknowledged the existence of this thread!  There truly is light at the end of the tunnel.  I can't wait for the fine folks at AT&T to release the update to fix GPS soon after the Note 4 is released in October.  Bless you Phil, and bless you AT&T... a truly benevolent master!

Smiley Indifferent

709 of 914 (2,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 1:16:22 PM
(0)
Mentor
Annnnnnnnd silence.
Annnnnnnnd silence.

710 of 914 (2,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 1:40:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Smartfast on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:43:09 PM

Samsung has repaired the phone that AT&T sent me in hopes it would fix to the GPS issue. This is what Samsung said about the phone:

Original Problem:
CONNECTIVITY - GPS - WEAK SIGNAL/COVERAGE ERROR DISPLAY 

Problem found:
LCD BLANK/SEG. MISSING/LINES 

Solution:
REPLACED LCD

This is the second time I had Samsung repair a phone under warranty, and the second time they replaced the LCD instead. (The last problem was a headphone issue with my Note2 --- a long, horrible experience up-to, and including, Samsungs warranty repair....).

I think they write that when they replace the mainboard too.

I have no idea if this will fix the GPS issue.

but I will receive it and test Friday (hopefully 1 day after AT&T release kitkat?)

Samsung has repaired the phone that AT&T sent me in hopes it would fix to the GPS issue. This is what Samsung said about the phone:

Original Problem:
CONNECTIVITY - GPS - WEAK SIGNAL/COVERAGE ERROR DISPLAY 

Problem found:
LCD BLANK/SEG. MISSING/LINES 

Solution:
REPLACED LCD

This is the second time I had Samsung repair a phone under warranty, and the second time they replaced the LCD instead. (The last problem was a headphone issue with my Note2 --- a long, horrible experience up-to, and including, Samsungs warranty repair....).

I think they write that when they replace the mainboard too.

I have no idea if this will fix the GPS issue.

but I will receive it and test Friday (hopefully 1 day after AT&T release kitkat?)

[ Edited ]
711 of 914 (2,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 1:47:56 PM
(0)
Mentor
Good luck Smartfast. Let us know what you find out.
Good luck Smartfast. Let us know what you find out.

712 of 914 (2,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 2:08:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just finished a call with ATT support.  

1. Claimed they did not know of an issue.
  2. Then claimed Samsung sent them an advisory stating that Samsung knew about the issue and a fix date was to be dermined.
  3. Implied it was a Samsung issue and not carrier specific.

Regardless of how (or if) this issue is resolved the process has shown me that ATT has improperly trained tech support and/or very bad procedures in tracking and dealing with customer issues.

Just finished a call with ATT support.  

1. Claimed they did not know of an issue.
  2. Then claimed Samsung sent them an advisory stating that Samsung knew about the issue and a fix date was to be dermined.
  3. Implied it was a Samsung issue and not carrier specific.

Regardless of how (or if) this issue is resolved the process has shown me that ATT has improperly trained tech support and/or very bad procedures in tracking and dealing with customer issues.

713 of 914 (2,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 3:36:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well I'm sure they know of it.  For instance you can go on Twitter or FB and say "Yo my billz is wrong" you get a response from AT&T.  If you give a thoughful comment about the Note 3 and having GPS trouble you get nothing but crickets.  That in my world means they're happily avoiding the issue.  And why would you avoid an issue unless you already knew it was a problem.

Well I'm sure they know of it.  For instance you can go on Twitter or FB and say "Yo my billz is wrong" you get a response from AT&T.  If you give a thoughful comment about the Note 3 and having GPS trouble you get nothing but crickets.  That in my world means they're happily avoiding the issue.  And why would you avoid an issue unless you already knew it was a problem.

714 of 914 (2,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 4:28:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Contacting at&t will only frustrate you more, the employee's at the customer service level have no clue and are not given any useful information, their job is to deal with customers and give canned responses.

Contacting at&t will only frustrate you more, the employee's at the customer service level have no clue and are not given any useful information, their job is to deal with customers and give canned responses.

715 of 914 (2,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 4:36:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

If you buy a new PC you have control of whatever you decide to be installed on it. Why the heck they block their stupid ATT apps bloatware that you dont need, use and what?  If they install pure vainilla stock roms every user can decide what to install.

This is my last contract with ATT.

If you buy a new PC you have control of whatever you decide to be installed on it. Why the heck they block their stupid ATT apps bloatware that you dont need, use and what?  If they install pure vainilla stock roms every user can decide what to install.

This is my last contract with ATT.

716 of 914 (2,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 10:05:00 PM
(0)
Explorer
I went through this same garbage waiting for Jelly Bean with the HTC one x. I was hoping for better support from at&t this time around. At&t has once again proved to me that they couldn't care less about their customers.
I went through this same garbage waiting for Jelly Bean with the HTC one x. I was hoping for better support from at&t this time around. At&t has once again proved to me that they couldn't care less about their customers.

717 of 914 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 3:01:47 AM
(0)
Explorer
I bought my Note 3 in November and have this issue. It is pretty annoying. I love the phone but this gps issue is really frustrating. When I was driving around using Google Maps, gps would lose signal and I would have to park aside until I could get it running again. Not reliable what so ever. Hopefully the fix comes out soon.
I bought my Note 3 in November and have this issue. It is pretty annoying. I love the phone but this gps issue is really frustrating. When I was driving around using Google Maps, gps would lose signal and I would have to park aside until I could get it running again. Not reliable what so ever. Hopefully the fix comes out soon.

718 of 914 (1,492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 4:25:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

March 27th 720 am and software update on my phone says my phone is up to date. I can't check again until tomorrow. 

March 27th 720 am and software update on my phone says my phone is up to date. I can't check again until tomorrow. 

719 of 914 (1,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 6:04:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

Told y'all so. Vetdoctor, sorry it wasn't available to you when you checked this morning. I checked at 8 AM CDT.

Told y'all so. Vetdoctor, sorry it wasn't available to you when you checked this morning. I checked at 8 AM CDT.

720 of 914 (1,350 Views)