Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Message 1 of 914 (77,637 Views)
Mentor

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

If we could see a fix as soon as one week from now that would be great. I won't hold breath though given att's history.
Message 691 of 914 (3,851 Views)
Scholar

Enuratique wrote:

I have it on good authority that build NC2 passed technical acceptance today and will begin rolling out in one week.

Can you give any more detail? How you know this, what the changelog contains,... anything? Since you obviously know more than any of us, I'd like to make it clear we would love to hear more details from you.

All praise @Enuratique if this is truthful and reliable information

Message 692 of 914 (3,845 Views)
Mentor

I don't have a changelog, per se, but it is the highly anticipated KK update which includes a GPS fix. I haven't tested it myself yet, since I don't want to repave my device with the full binary. I wish I could give more info, but I don't want to risk my job.

Message 693 of 914 (3,839 Views)
Mentor

To wit, if my posts magically disappear, you'll know I'm not lying.

Message 694 of 914 (3,836 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Just received word that the rollout will begin this Thursday, March 27th. Your device needs to have already received and installed the NB4 build that was pushed a few weeks ago to receive the update. Keep in mind that FOTA releases are done in waves, so your device may not receive the update on the 27th.

Message 695 of 914 (3,780 Views)
Tutor

Hope it's true. Thank you!
Message 696 of 914 (3,598 Views)
Scholar

If this guy is just trolling, I hope all of his kids are born naked!
Message 697 of 914 (3,541 Views)
Contributor

I purchase this phone thru Att next, one main purpose is to use it as GPS now I'm lock me, you know traveling to unfamiliar place is annoying using gps the lost signal while you still in a bright sunny day. It is a waste of gas. They should allow me upgrade back as a regular upgrade. Now it like I'm pay for 700usd, hope they allow me to like just a regular upgrade.

Message 698 of 914 (3,447 Views)
Scholar

pdqgp wrote:

Ranmaniac wrote:
The fact that it will work on some days on a previously traveled route which had griss errors before, with seemingly no correlation to weather, time of day.. Or anything else that is apparent.. Really makes me scratch my head

Read through the details in this thread.   It's related mainly to the changing of signals from LTE/4G such as when changing towers/coverage areas and inbound calls or emails.  You can also get it to drop if you plug it in to a car charger while navigating.  Usually for me it's an inbound call or email.  

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news.  If you have a specific case where it's repeatable, then good for you.  I have multitudes cases where it's not repeatable on a day to day basis, since last september, and it's is NOT isolated to the Note 3.  It began happening to me in a Jelly Bean update on my Note 1 about last September. I use map tracking apps such as Mapmyride, Strava, or Gopogle tracker.  I wrestled with the app developer, assuming It was the app (Mapmyride) for a couple of weeks, then I upgraded to the Note 3, straight from Note 1, and still had the problem.  I was certain it was the app at this point but then tried Strava and Tracker a while later with the same results.   They all exhibit the same behaviour when the GPS drops.  They stall at a given point and then draw a straight line to your current location when they recover, no matter what distance or route youve traveled in between.  

Everybody and their brother's dog with an alternate company's Note 3 out there running around just to prove it's just AT&T..  yay for them..  I dont think anyone is doubting that at this point.  It has no bearing on this discussion and does not lend insight other than the fact that it's an AT&T issue.  

Other people have reported the same issue with the Galaxy Mega.  Perhaps its some combination of the chosen hardware for the larger phones vs a software bug.

To the present...  Just yesterday,  I rode a 53 mile route...  I rode the route out to 26 & change and rode teh exact same route back.  I reset the tracking app at the midway point.  On the way out,  it stalled, burped, & drew straight lines all over the place with no rhyme or reason as to where it stalled other than perhaps I passed under some trees.  On the way back,  I had only one GPS error, about 22 miles into the 26 mile return.  All the previous mileage passing through teh same route where it errored, insanely, before.  

This issue is simply more complicated than the simple observations of "LTE/4G" switching and or power supplu plugging/unplugging.  If it were that simple, it would probably have been fixed already.

Message 699 of 914 (3,372 Views)
Teacher

@Vetdoctor 

Vetdoctor wrote:

a.

b. There is something in the file that ATT desperately wants on the phone and is involved in the issue.

c.

Yes, The NSA Uber Tracking System

Message 700 of 914 (3,372 Views)
Scholar

Yes,  because teh NSA really is interested in your mundane life.

Message 701 of 914 (3,371 Views)
Teacher

Ranmaniac wrote:

Yes,  because teh NSA really is interested in your mundane life.

It is in yours.

Message 702 of 914 (3,368 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Ranmaniac wrote:

And other things copy & pasted from the various articles such as on Android police and proported as actual news. 

• Nothing I wrote was copied and pasted dude. They are my own words and observations from first hand testing the units we work with at my job.
  • Ruling out the Note 3 overall by comparing success with other carriers is critical to the matter so there can be no finger pointing soley at Samsung
  • Just the same simply rooting and replacing the GPS files fixes the issue further proves the point.  Once the files are replaced the issue is fixed proving AT&T's variation of these files is part of the problem.

In the end, let's hope AT&T fixes their mess up with the pending update.   If not many folks will likely be going through the warranty/replacement routine.  I will be one of the first.

Message 703 of 914 (3,341 Views)
Voyager

If they don't fix this problem soon I will be going through warranty. This is ridiculous what at&t is doing. This should have been fix already. Every time a carrier get the phones in their hands and start adding things they break something else. They should leave the phones as the manufacturer built them.
Message 704 of 914 (3,257 Views)
Scholar

Actually, if any of you NSA fearing types ever bothered ti read the law that gives them this ability, in order for them to used the collected data as evidence against you, you must be suspect of or charged with a crime agaist national security or terrorism. So no.. The NSA is not interested in my ramblings.
Message 705 of 914 (3,218 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.