The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@jmounteer wrote:

In case you missed it, the workaround is to disable the cellular radio ...... FOr some reason, the GPS works fine with the cell radio off.......... This allows you to use a standalone GPS package ........but of course you won't get a call or text.

If we disable the cellular service we are paying for, then we are guaranteed to have a working phone. 

But if you need to dial 911 in an emergency situation .. hopefully you can enable cellular quickly before dialing

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@pdqgp wrote:
@Smartfast wrote:
@jmounteer wrote:

In case you missed it, the workaround is to disable the cellular radio ...... FOr some reason, the GPS works fine with the cell radio off.......... This allows you to use a standalone GPS package ........but of course you won't get a call or text.

If we disable the cellular service we are paying for, then we are guaranteed to have a working phone. 

But if you need to dial 911 in an emergency situation .. hopefully you can enable cellular quickly before dialing

I'm going to work on testing my other thought which is if we disable "mobile data" which eliminates LTE, text messaging, emails and internet but DOES ALLOW phones/cell to work.

I believe this will work as when we make/take a call, that switch from LTE is what's causing the drop.  Again, I have to test this but believe it will work.

^not a bad idea. .. although I enjoy LTE speeds even during casual browsing, any quick work-around to get the phone working properly would be greta. I would just apply your LTE disable before nav and apply LTE re-enable after . I tether heavily for work so it would be important that I still have LTE available.

I dont konw for sure that my phone switches between LTE and 4G/3G as the GPS drops ..... all I know is that the GPS cannot keep up like my other phones in that test I ran.. which is well within a 2 mile diameter area. Could the coverage vary in this small area? MAybe .. but keep us abreast of your fix and I will apply/test it to see if it has any effect, positive or negative.

Don't forget, you could also root and apply the GPS fix files from XDA. I plan to soon (in the next 2-3 days). If those fix this problem outright I may find some settlement with ATT for the time being. (in their interest)

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

@Smartfast wrote:

^not a bad idea. .. although I enjoy LTE speeds even during casual browsing, any quick work-around to get the phone working properly would be greta. I would just apply your LTE disable before nav and apply LTE re-enable after . I tether heavily for work so it would be important that I still have LTE available.

I dont konw for sure that my phone switches between LTE and 4G/3G as the GPS drops ..... all I know is that the GPS cannot keep up like my other phones in that test I ran.. which is well within a 2 mile diameter area. Could the coverage vary in this small area? MAybe .. but keep us abreast of your fix and I will apply/test it to see if it has any effect, positive or negative.

Don't forget, you could also root and apply the GPS fix files from XDA. I plan to soon (in the next 2-3 days). If those fix this problem outright I may find some settlement with ATT for the time being. (in their interest)

No go unforunately.   I just drove around the block testing my theory and no-go.   Still drops the GPS Immediately.

I'm not familiar with Rooting.  Not opposed to it as I jailbroke my first couple iPhones. 

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

I just now filed complaint with FTC ,already filed complaint with FCC last month, and signed petition this month  . Hope it helps! !!

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@pdqgpwrote:

I'm not familiar with Rooting.  Not opposed to it as I jailbroke my first couple iPhones. 

Yeah .. according to ATT and samsung it would void your warranty .. so don't do it unless you konw that you can just reverse the whole proceedure if you had to. The downside is the amount of hoops you have to work through. Not for the faint of heart.

On the up side, I recently received a call and email from Kurt at AT&T's "Office of the President". He said he would investigate and call me back. His connection was very bad....

Let's see what solution or info he comes up with as my RMA replacement phone is headed off to Samsung in Texas

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I've just been browering the last numerous pages about the GPS problems.  So to sum it up, would I be correct to say that AT&T knows there's a problem and says they are looking into.  However, there is no fix as of yet?  I really don't like changing settings, rooting and all that stuff because I have little knowledge of things like that.  I grew up with a rotory phone with a party line.  

All I know is I purchased this Galaxy Note 3 because the salesman told me it was the answer to my prayers.  I volunteer with the Red Cross and use the GPS to respond to disaster calls.  I usually have to break out with my antique map because it drops and refreshes too many times to be dependable.  Disaster victims look at me like I am working in the stone age when break out a folder with dozens of maps to find my way to the next location.

Hey AT&T we'd appreciate some progress. 

A volunteer fireman who was watching my issued with the maps and the phone, said he sells Verizon phones told me to throw my AT&T phone in the fire and stop around to his store.  Come on guys/gals let's try and get this situation fixed.  People depend on it!  

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I too am having the same issue with my galaxy note 3 from AT&T. I feel that this issue is completely unacceptable and is way past due for a fix. This has caused such an issue in daily life, when I normally always use my phone GPS that it has frustrated me to the point of wanting to switch carriers as soon as my contract will allow. This is not a small issue for those who are dealing with it, it is a huge issue to not have GPS which most people now use on a daily basis . How has at&t not fixed this problem yet or at least issued a statement letting us know when and how it will be fixed. Listen up at&t, people are extremely frustrated over this and you are losing potential customers because of it. I myself 100% plan on switching to Verizon after seeing how your company has not dealt with this major problem. I would have never switched to this phone had I known this would happen. Get on the ball guys, this is unacceptable.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your post @BillMadara. I'm sorry to hear how it is affecting you. I hope these kind of stories make it out to the major tech blog sites. We've waited too long for a fix.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I talk to att and told them about the problem and they switch me to Samsung . they had me go through some prosses and told me it wasn't my phone. It was att problem. Att needs to fix this problem ASAP. This stupid. All they are doing is playing with us.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

They are busy getting money from ppl pre ordering the galaxy s5. No time to fix this issue we've been having for over 2 months
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.