The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I'd suggest you dont' just open Google Maps and wait for the blue location icon to stop displaying correctly.  Go out pick somewhere you're going to drive 5 minutes to an hour away and then use Google Maps navigation.  I've never once used it where it didn't drop the signal while using Maps Navigation.

The reason you don't hear about it from every owner is a suprising amount of people don't even know Google Maps Navigation exists.  Its a problem on every Note 3.  If not then I guess AT&T is holding its 4.4 update just for a 100 of us complaining on their support forums...  Which we know isn't the case.

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

10 years ago

@aygriffith wrote:

I'd suggest you dont' just open Google Maps and wait for the blue location icon to stop displaying correctly.  Go out pick somewhere you're going to drive 5 minutes to an hour away and then use Google Maps navigation.  I've never once used it where it didn't drop the signal while using Maps Navigation.

The reason you don't hear about it from every owner is a suprising amount of people don't even know Google Maps Navigation exists.  Its a problem on every Note 3.  If not then I guess AT&T is holding its 4.4 update just for a 100 of us complaining on their support forums...  Which we know isn't the case.

If you think that all I did was open GM and wait for the icon then you obviously haven't read any of my posts. I DID actually use GM for navigation several times doing some of the things mentioned in this thread.  From my own experience with this, I don't think Im the only one who isnt having a problem with their Note 3.... Btw, no one actually knows why AT&T is holding out on an update as they have yet to make an official statement either way, so for you to say that they are holding off because of working on a fix for the GPS problem that some are having is simply hearsay at this time. I'll be interested in seeing whether or not 4.4 actually does fix this problem for you guys.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

From the petition I signed, I'd say at least 100 owners have this problem. Aygriffith is right about other owners not knowing about the issue because they don't use their Note 3s for navigation. I've met more than 10 people in person who swore their phones' GPS is fine. Most of them do not use their phones for navigation. 8 of these people work at a couple of AT&T corporate stores and 1 person is an AT&T dealer. On top of that, every demo phones at the stores have the same problem. They may not be here posting about their phone problems but it's more widespread than what it seems here on the forum. Forgot to mention that a lot of more owners have rooted their phones to fix the problem themselves; therefore, you wouldn't see them posting here either.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Correct, not everyone is having an issue or there would be thunder not just our little rainstorm. BTW: Eileen, check out the Evernote app for the Note3 You can right in the notes themselves. Very nice.

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

10 years ago

I have had alot of people ask about my phone and ask if they should get one. I tell them its a great phone, however att has messed the files up with the GPS and they should find a verizon or t-mob version and it will work fine.

PS my wife said her GPS was working fine on her note 3 and yelled at me when i started up the trusty gramin. I said, go a head, you use your phone, give it 5 min and you will get "GPS signal lost" voice prompt. With out fail about 7 mins later GPS signal lost.. I won that argument!!! Thank you AT&T

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Elieen89 ... if you thibk know one knows why they are holding off releasing kitkat for our phones then you havent read any of my posts.

I have had multiple official AT&T support reps tell me they are holding off to release it to include the GPS fix, which they are working with Samsung to develop.

I even have a friend who is a chat rep for att and he confirms this is true according to the documention available to them.

However I did ask Samsung to confirm this and they say they do not confirm there is any issue with the phone.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I had a Samsung support rep last week tell me to uncheck the "use wireless networks" check box. This can be found at Settings>Connections>Location Services. I tried this on a road trip last weekend from Ohio to Virginia, it worked without dropping my GPS signal. I used Waze and GM to make sure. The only thing was it was a huge battery drain on my phone.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Ok, so I too filed an FCC complaint.

Thanks,
TJ

FCC Submission Confirmation: 20***
Acknowledgement of Submission from --------- on 03/15/2014, reference number 14-C00***.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

@BKBury this points to a fact in one of my previous posts... I can get my location dot in maps to stop jumping around (with no destination set) by turning off that setting. Otherwise it usually cycles between two locations rather far apart.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Just bought a Note 3 last week. Used the GPS for the first time a few days ago.  You'd think I was in a tunnel underground.  I've been researching the issue extensively ever since, including reading every post in this thread.

So dissapointed that Samsung and AT&T not only let this get through quality control, but have dragged their feet for so long in repairing it.  It really makes me want to go back to Apple and I probably will once they release a bigger phone.  They may be a walled garden, but they control the entire experience and are excellent at providing a quality product.  Truth be told, short of rooting your phone, Android is becoming a fairly walled garden too.  

But I digress.  I could be happy with the Note 3, if it worked.  GPS is a must have feature.  I travel a lot.

UNACCEPTABLE AT&T!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.