Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
904 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
Replies
(904)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 8:35:52 PM
(0)
Mentor
@Smartfast. I've posted on Samsung Support Facebook page about this issue and was told they are already looking into this issue. That was almost a month ago. So they should already have my report documented. I'll try to get an update on that same post. They hate when people post issues directly on their page because it's public and get posted on my feed and my friends feeds as well.

Meanwhile, I've been bugging ATT on their Facebook page as well. They've informed me that they are looking into the issue and will update me via my post when they have more info on it. That was also almost a month ago.

BBB seems like the next logical step. We should really get some compensation for their mistake.
@Smartfast. I've posted on Samsung Support Facebook page about this issue and was told they are already looking into this issue. That was almost a month ago. So they should already have my report documented. I'll try to get an update on that same post. They hate when people post issues directly on their page because it's public and get posted on my feed and my friends feeds as well.

Meanwhile, I've been bugging ATT on their Facebook page as well. They've informed me that they are looking into the issue and will update me via my post when they have more info on it. That was also almost a month ago.

BBB seems like the next logical step. We should really get some compensation for their mistake.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

571 of 905 (2,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 8:57:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T is still officially denying that this problem ever existed.  Just call and ask for an issue number - it does not exist.  They have not even logged this as an official "bug".  The reason is that if they do, they may have a liability.

AT&T is still officially denying that this problem ever existed.  Just call and ask for an issue number - it does not exist.  They have not even logged this as an official "bug".  The reason is that if they do, they may have a liability.

572 of 905 (2,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 8:07:31 AM
(0)
Master

SB20 wrote:
@Eileen89, Didn't read if you already tried this. Open Maps or Waze and wait for the GPS get a solid lock as indicated by a solid white circle at the top of the screen. Then plug or unplug you charger. If your phone doesn't lose that solid GPS indicator, it will be the first ATT Note 3 I've heard without this GPS issue. Everyone I spoke to in person claimed their ATT Note 3 was not affectedb until I showed them the different ways of triggering the problem. Even ATT store employees were shocked to find their own personal phones and the ones on display have the problem.

I haven't tried the charger test yet but will this afternoon. I always plug in the charger before I start navigating, so I'll see how this test goes and report back later today.

SB20 wrote:
@Eileen89, Didn't read if you already tried this. Open Maps or Waze and wait for the GPS get a solid lock as indicated by a solid white circle at the top of the screen. Then plug or unplug you charger. If your phone doesn't lose that solid GPS indicator, it will be the first ATT Note 3 I've heard without this GPS issue. Everyone I spoke to in person claimed their ATT Note 3 was not affectedb until I showed them the different ways of triggering the problem. Even ATT store employees were shocked to find their own personal phones and the ones on display have the problem.

I haven't tried the charger test yet but will this afternoon. I always plug in the charger before I start navigating, so I'll see how this test goes and report back later today.

573 of 905 (2,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 8:17:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

I left a complaint with the FCC. AT&T's president's office called me back a week later to say they are aware of the problem, and that Samsung and AT&T are working together on a software solution. No indication of when that solution will be available.

I left a complaint with the FCC. AT&T's president's office called me back a week later to say they are aware of the problem, and that Samsung and AT&T are working together on a software solution. No indication of when that solution will be available.

574 of 905 (2,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 10:47:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

I filed the FCC complaint about 2 weeks ago. I wonder why I havent had a call....

Probably because I picked the wrong categories in the complaint form.

Doh.

Or actually, Yay! I dont have much use for a phone call to tell me about things I already know;

Call me when you know when I will stop suffering this issue. Call me when you do me a favor and push the update to me in the first wave. Call me WHEN YOU CAN FIX THIS ISSUE

Or even better, call me and tell me you will still honor my warranty even though I root to apply the fix that was available 3 months ago in "unsupported channels" (XDA)...............................

I filed the FCC complaint about 2 weeks ago. I wonder why I havent had a call....

Probably because I picked the wrong categories in the complaint form.

Doh.

Or actually, Yay! I dont have much use for a phone call to tell me about things I already know;

Call me when you know when I will stop suffering this issue. Call me when you do me a favor and push the update to me in the first wave. Call me WHEN YOU CAN FIX THIS ISSUE

Or even better, call me and tell me you will still honor my warranty even though I root to apply the fix that was available 3 months ago in "unsupported channels" (XDA)...............................

575 of 905 (2,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 11:10:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

576 of 905 (2,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 11:31:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Smartfast on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:31:18 AM

@Vetdoctor 

If LeBron navigated himself, we'd have the fix by now.

Actually no, nevermind ... if he navigated himself, he would have the fix by now.

@Vetdoctor 

If LeBron navigated himself, we'd have the fix by now.

Actually no, nevermind ... if he navigated himself, he would have the fix by now.

[ Edited ]
577 of 905 (2,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 11:57:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

Maybe he does. Ya know?

Maybe he does. Ya know?

578 of 905 (2,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:00:15 PM
(0)
Master

SB20 wrote:

I ran GM app again, plugging it into my car and unplugging it while the App was giving me directions. I had no loss of the White GPS icon at all and the App kept right on working. I've done everything I could to create the GPS issue on my new Note 3 and yet each time it keeps right on working as it should. I'm not going to run anymore tests as it is obvious to me at this point that for what ever reason my Note 3 is not having the GPS issue that others are complaining about. I would love for other new Note owners to post whether or not they are having this same issue but not everyone with an AT&T Note 3 takes the time to visit this site so I doubt that's going to happen. 

SB20 wrote:

I ran GM app again, plugging it into my car and unplugging it while the App was giving me directions. I had no loss of the White GPS icon at all and the App kept right on working. I've done everything I could to create the GPS issue on my new Note 3 and yet each time it keeps right on working as it should. I'm not going to run anymore tests as it is obvious to me at this point that for what ever reason my Note 3 is not having the GPS issue that others are complaining about. I would love for other new Note owners to post whether or not they are having this same issue but not everyone with an AT&T Note 3 takes the time to visit this site so I doubt that's going to happen. 

579 of 905 (1,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:03:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

^ right. Not everyone with a note 3

> has the problem

> notices the problem

> reproduces the problem

> complains about the problem

> calls support about the problem

> posts here about the problem.

So, that is why there are only ~100 of us actively speaking up about this issue.

I like to think I'm speaking up for the [however many more] have or *will* have this issue, whether or not they know it.

One thing that always bugs me about big companies is that they will never actually announce what the cause was. That is a huge piece oef missing information that is usable by those of us that use logic, scientific method, and troubleshooting steps to isolate and correct issues. Understanding an issue is the first step to fixing, overcoming, and preventing it. We won't get that gratification here

And from the looks of it we wont even get the gratification of a fix anytime soon

^ right. Not everyone with a note 3

> has the problem

> notices the problem

> reproduces the problem

> complains about the problem

> calls support about the problem

> posts here about the problem.

So, that is why there are only ~100 of us actively speaking up about this issue.

I like to think I'm speaking up for the [however many more] have or *will* have this issue, whether or not they know it.

One thing that always bugs me about big companies is that they will never actually announce what the cause was. That is a huge piece oef missing information that is usable by those of us that use logic, scientific method, and troubleshooting steps to isolate and correct issues. Understanding an issue is the first step to fixing, overcoming, and preventing it. We won't get that gratification here

And from the looks of it we wont even get the gratification of a fix anytime soon

580 of 905 (1,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:31:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'd suggest you dont' just open Google Maps and wait for the blue location icon to stop displaying correctly.  Go out pick somewhere you're going to drive 5 minutes to an hour away and then use Google Maps navigation.  I've never once used it where it didn't drop the signal while using Maps Navigation.

The reason you don't hear about it from every owner is a suprising amount of people don't even know Google Maps Navigation exists.  Its a problem on every Note 3.  If not then I guess AT&T is holding its 4.4 update just for a 100 of us complaining on their support forums...  Which we know isn't the case.

I'd suggest you dont' just open Google Maps and wait for the blue location icon to stop displaying correctly.  Go out pick somewhere you're going to drive 5 minutes to an hour away and then use Google Maps navigation.  I've never once used it where it didn't drop the signal while using Maps Navigation.

The reason you don't hear about it from every owner is a suprising amount of people don't even know Google Maps Navigation exists.  Its a problem on every Note 3.  If not then I guess AT&T is holding its 4.4 update just for a 100 of us complaining on their support forums...  Which we know isn't the case.

581 of 905 (1,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 2:56:42 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:21:37 PM

aygriffith wrote:

If you think that all I did was open GM and wait for the icon then you obviously haven't read any of my posts. I DID actually use GM for navigation several times doing some of the things mentioned in this thread.  From my own experience with this, I don't think Im the only one who isnt having a problem with their Note 3.... Btw, no one actually knows why AT&T is holding out on an update as they have yet to make an official statement either way, so for you to say that they are holding off because of working on a fix for the GPS problem that some are having is simply hearsay at this time. I'll be interested in seeing whether or not 4.4 actually does fix this problem for you guys.

aygriffith wrote:

If you think that all I did was open GM and wait for the icon then you obviously haven't read any of my posts. I DID actually use GM for navigation several times doing some of the things mentioned in this thread.  From my own experience with this, I don't think Im the only one who isnt having a problem with their Note 3.... Btw, no one actually knows why AT&T is holding out on an update as they have yet to make an official statement either way, so for you to say that they are holding off because of working on a fix for the GPS problem that some are having is simply hearsay at this time. I'll be interested in seeing whether or not 4.4 actually does fix this problem for you guys.

[ Edited ]
582 of 905 (1,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 3:54:48 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Mar 13, 2014 at 5:12:01 PM

From the petition I signed, I'd say at least 100 owners have this problem. Aygriffith is right about other owners not knowing about the issue because they don't use their Note 3s for navigation. I've met more than 10 people in person who swore their phones' GPS is fine. Most of them do not use their phones for navigation. 8 of these people work at a couple of AT&T corporate stores and 1 person is an AT&T dealer. On top of that, every demo phones at the stores have the same problem. They may not be here posting about their phone problems but it's more widespread than what it seems here on the forum. Forgot to mention that a lot of more owners have rooted their phones to fix the problem themselves; therefore, you wouldn't see them posting here either.

From the petition I signed, I'd say at least 100 owners have this problem. Aygriffith is right about other owners not knowing about the issue because they don't use their Note 3s for navigation. I've met more than 10 people in person who swore their phones' GPS is fine. Most of them do not use their phones for navigation. 8 of these people work at a couple of AT&T corporate stores and 1 person is an AT&T dealer. On top of that, every demo phones at the stores have the same problem. They may not be here posting about their phone problems but it's more widespread than what it seems here on the forum. Forgot to mention that a lot of more owners have rooted their phones to fix the problem themselves; therefore, you wouldn't see them posting here either.

[ Edited ]
583 of 905 (1,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2014 4:09:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

Correct, not everyone is having an issue or there would be thunder not just our little rainstorm. BTW: Eileen, check out the Evernote app for the Note3 You can right in the notes themselves. Very nice.

Correct, not everyone is having an issue or there would be thunder not just our little rainstorm. BTW: Eileen, check out the Evernote app for the Note3 You can right in the notes themselves. Very nice.

584 of 905 (1,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 4:57:55 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by raiu on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:05:05 AM

I have had alot of people ask about my phone and ask if they should get one. I tell them its a great phone, however att has messed the files up with the GPS and they should find a verizon or t-mob version and it will work fine.

PS my wife said her GPS was working fine on her note 3 and yelled at me when i started up the trusty gramin. I said, go a head, you use your phone, give it 5 min and you will get "GPS signal lost" voice prompt. With out fail about 7 mins later GPS signal lost.. I won that argument!!! Thank you AT&T

I have had alot of people ask about my phone and ask if they should get one. I tell them its a great phone, however att has messed the files up with the GPS and they should find a verizon or t-mob version and it will work fine.

PS my wife said her GPS was working fine on her note 3 and yelled at me when i started up the trusty gramin. I said, go a head, you use your phone, give it 5 min and you will get "GPS signal lost" voice prompt. With out fail about 7 mins later GPS signal lost.. I won that argument!!! Thank you AT&T

[ Edited ]
585 of 905 (1,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 9:39:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Elieen89 ... if you thibk know one knows why they are holding off releasing kitkat for our phones then you havent read any of my posts.

I have had multiple official AT&T support reps tell me they are holding off to release it to include the GPS fix, which they are working with Samsung to develop.

I even have a friend who is a chat rep for att and he confirms this is true according to the documention available to them.

However I did ask Samsung to confirm this and they say they do not confirm there is any issue with the phone.
Elieen89 ... if you thibk know one knows why they are holding off releasing kitkat for our phones then you havent read any of my posts.

I have had multiple official AT&T support reps tell me they are holding off to release it to include the GPS fix, which they are working with Samsung to develop.

I even have a friend who is a chat rep for att and he confirms this is true according to the documention available to them.

However I did ask Samsung to confirm this and they say they do not confirm there is any issue with the phone.

586 of 905 (1,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 5:00:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had a Samsung support rep last week tell me to uncheck the "use wireless networks" check box. This can be found at Settings>Connections>Location Services. I tried this on a road trip last weekend from Ohio to Virginia, it worked without dropping my GPS signal. I used Waze and GM to make sure. The only thing was it was a huge battery drain on my phone.
I had a Samsung support rep last week tell me to uncheck the "use wireless networks" check box. This can be found at Settings>Connections>Location Services. I tried this on a road trip last weekend from Ohio to Virginia, it worked without dropping my GPS signal. I used Waze and GM to make sure. The only thing was it was a huge battery drain on my phone.

587 of 905 (1,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2014 11:43:56 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Phil-101 on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:00:41 AM

Ok, so I too filed an FCC complaint.

Thanks,
TJ

FCC Submission Confirmation: 20***
Acknowledgement of Submission from --------- on 03/15/2014, reference number 14-C00***.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Ok, so I too filed an FCC complaint.

Thanks,
TJ

FCC Submission Confirmation: 20***
Acknowledgement of Submission from --------- on 03/15/2014, reference number 14-C00***.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
588 of 905 (1,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 8:44:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
@BKBury this points to a fact in one of my previous posts... I can get my location dot in maps to stop jumping around (with no destination set) by turning off that setting. Otherwise it usually cycles between two locations rather far apart.
@BKBury this points to a fact in one of my previous posts... I can get my location dot in maps to stop jumping around (with no destination set) by turning off that setting. Otherwise it usually cycles between two locations rather far apart.

589 of 905 (1,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 8:58:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just bought a Note 3 last week. Used the GPS for the first time a few days ago.  You'd think I was in a tunnel underground.  I've been researching the issue extensively ever since, including reading every post in this thread.

So dissapointed that Samsung and AT&T not only let this get through quality control, but have dragged their feet for so long in repairing it.  It really makes me want to go back to Apple and I probably will once they release a bigger phone.  They may be a walled garden, but they control the entire experience and are excellent at providing a quality product.  Truth be told, short of rooting your phone, Android is becoming a fairly walled garden too.  

But I digress.  I could be happy with the Note 3, if it worked.  GPS is a must have feature.  I travel a lot.

UNACCEPTABLE AT&T!!

Just bought a Note 3 last week. Used the GPS for the first time a few days ago.  You'd think I was in a tunnel underground.  I've been researching the issue extensively ever since, including reading every post in this thread.

So dissapointed that Samsung and AT&T not only let this get through quality control, but have dragged their feet for so long in repairing it.  It really makes me want to go back to Apple and I probably will once they release a bigger phone.  They may be a walled garden, but they control the entire experience and are excellent at providing a quality product.  Truth be told, short of rooting your phone, Android is becoming a fairly walled garden too.  

But I digress.  I could be happy with the Note 3, if it worked.  GPS is a must have feature.  I travel a lot.

UNACCEPTABLE AT&T!!

590 of 905 (1,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 2:30:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
You could still return it. The way things are going, Note 4 will be out before the fix is released anyway.
You could still return it. The way things are going, Note 4 will be out before the fix is released anyway.

591 of 905 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 7:30:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

I wonder why this page http://m.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZKEATT

clearly says AT&T Galaxy Note 3 , and under specs lists the OS as Android 4.4 KitKat

This just changed recently!

I wonder why this page http://m.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900AZKEATT

clearly says AT&T Galaxy Note 3 , and under specs lists the OS as Android 4.4 KitKat

This just changed recently!

592 of 905 (1,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 7:36:24 PM
(0)
Mentor
It's been like that for awhile now. Different Android sites picked up on that.
It's been like that for awhile now. Different Android sites picked up on that.

593 of 905 (1,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2014 10:47:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Att has forgotten about us and started working on blocking this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455011,00.asp

Att has forgotten about us and started working on blocking this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455011,00.asp

594 of 905 (1,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 10:36:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

That changed at least 2 or 3 weeks ago.  If you pull up a Samsung chat window the agents will tell you all N900A devices being manufactured right now have 4.4 on them.  If that were true I guarantee you someone would have found one and extracted the contents of the stock ROM and put it on any one of the many Android forums.

So basically its more smoke and mirrors.  Even Bell in Canada, who's N3 is essentially the same as the N900A, is releasing 4.4 this coming week.  When the Canadians get it before US users you know its reached a new low point.

That changed at least 2 or 3 weeks ago.  If you pull up a Samsung chat window the agents will tell you all N900A devices being manufactured right now have 4.4 on them.  If that were true I guarantee you someone would have found one and extracted the contents of the stock ROM and put it on any one of the many Android forums.

So basically its more smoke and mirrors.  Even Bell in Canada, who's N3 is essentially the same as the N900A, is releasing 4.4 this coming week.  When the Canadians get it before US users you know its reached a new low point.

595 of 905 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 9:52:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Before you update to KitKat read this and protect your SD card

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Before you update to KitKat read this and protect your SD card

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

596 of 905 (1,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2014 11:00:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

I tried the above tactic of turning off " use wireless networks " again while I was on mini roadtrip just little while ago . Wanted to see if anything changed since last time tried it months ago and didn't work then. Not only still not working but it made things worse! My arrow on navigation was flying around everywhere on screen, jumping to nearby streets and going nuts with dropped" GPS signal lost" msg. GPS locked back on twice for like 1 minute went back to trying find a lock . After awhile though  I think my phone had an anxiety attack ...GPS symbol dissapered,  map frozed up,  and it was over for my phone trying to find my location . My phone again let me down, mentally wanted to go back home to rest ,and said F.U . I'm out and find your way home ! AT&T  Galaxy Note 3 ..... There aint no "I" in TEAM and there aint no "WE " either.  :smileyhappy:

I tried the above tactic of turning off " use wireless networks " again while I was on mini roadtrip just little while ago . Wanted to see if anything changed since last time tried it months ago and didn't work then. Not only still not working but it made things worse! My arrow on navigation was flying around everywhere on screen, jumping to nearby streets and going nuts with dropped" GPS signal lost" msg. GPS locked back on twice for like 1 minute went back to trying find a lock . After awhile though  I think my phone had an anxiety attack ...GPS symbol dissapered,  map frozed up,  and it was over for my phone trying to find my location . My phone again let me down, mentally wanted to go back home to rest ,and said F.U . I'm out and find your way home ! AT&T  Galaxy Note 3 ..... There aint no "I" in TEAM and there aint no "WE " either.  :smileyhappy:

597 of 905 (1,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 8:29:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Ranmaniac on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:36:04 AM

Eileen89 wrote:

I've been fighting this as a cyclist using apps like MapmyRide and Strava.  The issue is more pronounced when using these types of tracking apps because you can easily see when tracking is lost due to straight line interpolations on the map.  I rode nearly error free from last spring until last fall, using a Note 1.  I then began having these GPS problems that everyone speaks of and I wrongly assumed the App.  After a couple of months of back-n-forth with the App developer, and reading up on the issues described here and other forums, it's clearly the GPS interaction and not the app.  I am convinced it is not solely the fault of the Note 3 but seems to be the interaction of the device with either GPS or nearby cell towers.  When I upgraded from my Note 1 to Note 3, I expected the problem to go away but it was exactly the same and has been since I got the Note 3 on release day.  Maybe the note 3 is just more sensitive to the issue.  

The kicker is that on some days, with no correleation to weather, trees, etc.. On the same routes where it errored before,  It will run error free.  Sometimes in clear weather, sometimes with thick overcast and it will error in equally bad or good conditions.  My suspicion tells me that it is perhaps, tower congestion or as some stated LTE to 4G switching.  Regardless,  there are multiple reportings of a Note 3 failing in a given region only to stop failing after being rooted.  

Perhaps you, and the people that QC'ed this current version of firmware live in an enviroment,toweres, signal strength, etc.., that is condusive to not reproducing this error, but clearly, there are many of us that have real issues with this.

Eileen89 wrote:

I've been fighting this as a cyclist using apps like MapmyRide and Strava.  The issue is more pronounced when using these types of tracking apps because you can easily see when tracking is lost due to straight line interpolations on the map.  I rode nearly error free from last spring until last fall, using a Note 1.  I then began having these GPS problems that everyone speaks of and I wrongly assumed the App.  After a couple of months of back-n-forth with the App developer, and reading up on the issues described here and other forums, it's clearly the GPS interaction and not the app.  I am convinced it is not solely the fault of the Note 3 but seems to be the interaction of the device with either GPS or nearby cell towers.  When I upgraded from my Note 1 to Note 3, I expected the problem to go away but it was exactly the same and has been since I got the Note 3 on release day.  Maybe the note 3 is just more sensitive to the issue.  

The kicker is that on some days, with no correleation to weather, trees, etc.. On the same routes where it errored before,  It will run error free.  Sometimes in clear weather, sometimes with thick overcast and it will error in equally bad or good conditions.  My suspicion tells me that it is perhaps, tower congestion or as some stated LTE to 4G switching.  Regardless,  there are multiple reportings of a Note 3 failing in a given region only to stop failing after being rooted.  

Perhaps you, and the people that QC'ed this current version of firmware live in an enviroment,toweres, signal strength, etc.., that is condusive to not reproducing this error, but clearly, there are many of us that have real issues with this.

[ Edited ]
598 of 905 (1,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 10:09:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
It seems that when unselecting the use wireless networks setting it is just a cosmetic fix as the issue still remains that our devices still cannot function GPS when traveling. The sting really just keeps GM from saying you lost GPS connection every so often... I don't know about any one else but every time I hear that I just want to call AT&T and ask them where are they in getting this resolved. I have signed my petition and files my FCC complaint, until this is fixed we need to spread this as much as we can. If possible moderator, can the office of the president customer service number be posted here? So that we can call and ask get our status updates?
It seems that when unselecting the use wireless networks setting it is just a cosmetic fix as the issue still remains that our devices still cannot function GPS when traveling. The sting really just keeps GM from saying you lost GPS connection every so often... I don't know about any one else but every time I hear that I just want to call AT&T and ask them where are they in getting this resolved. I have signed my petition and files my FCC complaint, until this is fixed we need to spread this as much as we can. If possible moderator, can the office of the president customer service number be posted here? So that we can call and ask get our status updates?

599 of 905 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 10:11:48 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you Smartfast, I do agree with your description. It really is just a stop gap fix from having my Note 3 tell me "GPS connection lost"! Lol
Anybody have any updates or called customer service lately?
Thank you Smartfast, I do agree with your description. It really is just a stop gap fix from having my Note 3 tell me "GPS connection lost"! Lol
Anybody have any updates or called customer service lately?

600 of 905 (1,132 Views)