Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

913 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
View all replies
(913)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 6:41:28 AM
(0)
Mentor
Looks like Reddit has a GalaxyNote3 area.
Looks like Reddit has a GalaxyNote3 area.

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

451 of 914 (2,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 7:18:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

xda forums- search for the Note3 list and there should be a long thread. There are hyperlinks directly further back in the posts here. 

xda forums- search for the Note3 list and there should be a long thread. There are hyperlinks directly further back in the posts here. 

452 of 914 (2,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 8:06:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

@ ranmaniac I agree .. Hind sight is 20/20 ...

...but really.. think about it. "making. a. phone-call. on. a. phone."

I think that it is fairly easily predictable that a user MIGHT MAKE or GET a phone call while using the GPS.

.... so.. yes, it MIGHT be some really convoluted combination of software that AT&T puts on the phone causes the problem.... BUT IT IS A PRETTY EASY AND OBVIOUS TEST to figure out there is a problem!!!

.... like... make a phone call....!!!!

and AGAIN! They BROKE it!!! it WORKED before with the Samsung drivers... just PUT THE SAMSUNG DRIVERS BACK ON!!! and then the problem is fixed.

I can sympathise with the hardware and software developers that put a lot of time and effort into makeing what I still think is the best phone out there.....

... but i have NO sympathy for a company that:

1) takes MONTHS to even grudgingly admit that there is a problem....
2) ignores its customers
3) Censors/removes negative reviews from its sales page for the product.

Yes, this forum thread is being used as a place to vent. Thats because there is NOTHING eles we CAN do!! (unless we root)

WE (the customers) have:
1) Found the problem.
2) Tested mulitple solutions/combination to confirm the problem.
3) FOUND A SOLUTION.. (replacing 6 GPS driver files)
4) TESTED the solution.... (those willing to root)
5) CONFIRMED that it fixes the problem...

What more can we do?

We can vent,
We can try to get AT&T to pay attention and fix it
We can file complaints
We can warn other people NOT to get the NOTE 3 (on AT&T), until they fix the problem.

@ ranmaniac I agree .. Hind sight is 20/20 ...

...but really.. think about it. "making. a. phone-call. on. a. phone."

I think that it is fairly easily predictable that a user MIGHT MAKE or GET a phone call while using the GPS.

.... so.. yes, it MIGHT be some really convoluted combination of software that AT&T puts on the phone causes the problem.... BUT IT IS A PRETTY EASY AND OBVIOUS TEST to figure out there is a problem!!!

.... like... make a phone call....!!!!

and AGAIN! They BROKE it!!! it WORKED before with the Samsung drivers... just PUT THE SAMSUNG DRIVERS BACK ON!!! and then the problem is fixed.

I can sympathise with the hardware and software developers that put a lot of time and effort into makeing what I still think is the best phone out there.....

... but i have NO sympathy for a company that:

1) takes MONTHS to even grudgingly admit that there is a problem....
2) ignores its customers
3) Censors/removes negative reviews from its sales page for the product.

Yes, this forum thread is being used as a place to vent. Thats because there is NOTHING eles we CAN do!! (unless we root)

WE (the customers) have:
1) Found the problem.
2) Tested mulitple solutions/combination to confirm the problem.
3) FOUND A SOLUTION.. (replacing 6 GPS driver files)
4) TESTED the solution.... (those willing to root)
5) CONFIRMED that it fixes the problem...

What more can we do?

We can vent,
We can try to get AT&T to pay attention and fix it
We can file complaints
We can warn other people NOT to get the NOTE 3 (on AT&T), until they fix the problem.

453 of 914 (2,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:01:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
Your "What more can we do?" is what we are doing.

I'm frustrated and tired of waiting. I have been quietly thinking it was me this whole time.

Now I'm trying to get the word out to others. Join me. =)
Your "What more can we do?" is what we are doing.

I'm frustrated and tired of waiting. I have been quietly thinking it was me this whole time.

Now I'm trying to get the word out to others. Join me. =)

454 of 914 (2,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:58:38 AM
(0)
Teacher

455 of 914 (2,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 10:09:07 AM
(0)
Teacher
That's surprisingly accurate. It's amazing we get the same thrashing about our gps issues from our significant others. Especially me, coming from a much hated iphone, loved to spout off about what I could do that couldn't be done on the iPhone. From the camera, to interface, video quality, ir transmitter, I could be accused of bragging. My wife and I are always in "competition" to get the best new tech, then become annoying as we jokingly ask the other person if their device could "do that" Sadly, I have been losing lots of bragging rights when she replies "how's that gps working?".
That's surprisingly accurate. It's amazing we get the same thrashing about our gps issues from our significant others. Especially me, coming from a much hated iphone, loved to spout off about what I could do that couldn't be done on the iPhone. From the camera, to interface, video quality, ir transmitter, I could be accused of bragging. My wife and I are always in "competition" to get the best new tech, then become annoying as we jokingly ask the other person if their device could "do that" Sadly, I have been losing lots of bragging rights when she replies "how's that gps working?".

456 of 914 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 10:49:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
^ sad thing is the Note 3 is most amazing peice of hardware out .....well except for the AT& T version as they made into a piece of JUNK !

I have lots of people that ask for advice as they trust my opinion . At work ,friends ,family ...their freinds asking "thinking about joining AT& T or what about the Note 3 on AT& T ?? My reply is "If you want the Note 3 stick to your carrier and renew your contract with them ." Then I show them why with my phone . I wouldnt recommend this phone to anybody !
^ sad thing is the Note 3 is most amazing peice of hardware out .....well except for the AT& T version as they made into a piece of JUNK !

I have lots of people that ask for advice as they trust my opinion . At work ,friends ,family ...their freinds asking "thinking about joining AT& T or what about the Note 3 on AT& T ?? My reply is "If you want the Note 3 stick to your carrier and renew your contract with them ." Then I show them why with my phone . I wouldnt recommend this phone to anybody !

457 of 914 (2,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 10:51:41 AM
(0)
Scholar
...and already stopped some people joining AT& T . Sorry being bitter ! My word means alot to me and I'll speak only the truth !
...and already stopped some people joining AT& T . Sorry being bitter ! My word means alot to me and I'll speak only the truth !

458 of 914 (2,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 12:15:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BaeckerX1 on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:32:05 PM

Once again I have no idea what this means (customer service is unaware and actually told me to tighten the screws on my device), but hopefully soon actually means soon and this will be fixed. If nothing else they're publicly acknowledging it. I'm cautiously optimistic, I just wish I knew more. 

Once again I have no idea what this means (customer service is unaware and actually told me to tighten the screws on my device), but hopefully soon actually means soon and this will be fixed. If nothing else they're publicly acknowledging it. I'm cautiously optimistic, I just wish I knew more. 

[ Edited ]
459 of 914 (2,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:37:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

I received a direct phone call from AT&T executive customer relations in response to my FCC complaint. He assured me they are aware of the issue and should have a fix soon. He still couldn't give me a timeframe, which is understandable, but he hinted that they're looking to get it out in March. Nice guy, good conversation. It was a refreshing change of pace. Looks like there's some hope on the horizon for all of us. Smiley Happy

I received a direct phone call from AT&T executive customer relations in response to my FCC complaint. He assured me they are aware of the issue and should have a fix soon. He still couldn't give me a timeframe, which is understandable, but he hinted that they're looking to get it out in March. Nice guy, good conversation. It was a refreshing change of pace. Looks like there's some hope on the horizon for all of us. Smiley Happy

460 of 914 (2,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 1:58:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Now if they could properly inform the rest of the company about the issue specially their customer service department.
Now if they could properly inform the rest of the company about the issue specially their customer service department.

461 of 914 (2,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:25:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

Funny you should mention that. I told him that CS was still telling people to replace their phones and seemed unaware a fix was in the works. His response was "I'll have to talk to them about that." He said that it is listed in the system with this solution in the works.

Funny you should mention that. I told him that CS was still telling people to replace their phones and seemed unaware a fix was in the works. His response was "I'll have to talk to them about that." He said that it is listed in the system with this solution in the works.

462 of 914 (2,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:45:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

Have a friend with the Note 3 on Verizon with no problems.. and if the Verizon doesn't have the GPS issue where AT&T and TMobile does..   it would seem that they only need to look at whatever mechanical or software code differences there are.. ie between ATT and Verizon phones to determine where the problem lies.   Or is that too simplistic.   Samsung and ATT do NOT CARE and won't until enough customers just STOP buying their products and get their attention.   Money talks and the rest is Horse Dew Pucky (get past censors)

Have a friend with the Note 3 on Verizon with no problems.. and if the Verizon doesn't have the GPS issue where AT&T and TMobile does..   it would seem that they only need to look at whatever mechanical or software code differences there are.. ie between ATT and Verizon phones to determine where the problem lies.   Or is that too simplistic.   Samsung and ATT do NOT CARE and won't until enough customers just STOP buying their products and get their attention.   Money talks and the rest is Horse Dew Pucky (get past censors)

463 of 914 (2,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 2:52:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

I know that it appears that AT&T is not posting negative reviews, but I did get my phone on Amazon.

My friend with a Note 3 on Verizon isn't having a problem at all.

I know that it appears that AT&T is not posting negative reviews, but I did get my phone on Amazon.

My friend with a Note 3 on Verizon isn't having a problem at all.

464 of 914 (2,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 5:05:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm actually waiting on a replacement being shipped right now for this exact same issue. So this won't fix it and AT&T is wasting their money?

It took me 2 hours of stupidity and horrible "troubleshooting" for them to admit there was a problem on my phone at all!

I'm actually waiting on a replacement being shipped right now for this exact same issue. So this won't fix it and AT&T is wasting their money?

It took me 2 hours of stupidity and horrible "troubleshooting" for them to admit there was a problem on my phone at all!

465 of 914 (2,034 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 5:43:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
^^^nope wont fix issue . Every at& t note 3 has this issue !
^^^nope wont fix issue . Every at& t note 3 has this issue !

466 of 914 (2,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 5:43:54 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:25:30 PM

Att should issue refund or give credit to all note 3 holders.

Also Google messed up with latest navigation. Good news you can get NimaGL2 version of old one on the web.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Att should issue refund or give credit to all note 3 holders.

Also Google messed up with latest navigation. Good news you can get NimaGL2 version of old one on the web.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
467 of 914 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 6:29:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by daines1 on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:52:34 PM

Cnet has an article called: Why you can't sue your wireless carrier in a class action

We are basically unable to join together in a suit because of an arbitration clause in our contract we signed. So... each of us would have to file separately in order to even try to legally challenge anything AT&T decides to do. And AT&T knows this, which allows them to confidently exert their force on any who would question them.

So the message we are hearing is this: "sit down, be quiet and be glad we are working on it."

Cnet has an article called: Why you can't sue your wireless carrier in a class action

We are basically unable to join together in a suit because of an arbitration clause in our contract we signed. So... each of us would have to file separately in order to even try to legally challenge anything AT&T decides to do. And AT&T knows this, which allows them to confidently exert their force on any who would question them.

So the message we are hearing is this: "sit down, be quiet and be glad we are working on it."

[ Edited ]
468 of 914 (2,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:17:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

NHzero:   Nope..  will not fix the issue......

...   but look at the bright side..  they are sending you a "factory referbished" replacement, to replace that brand new phone you have...     so..  someone else has already broken it in for you .....

LBDanny

NHzero:   Nope..  will not fix the issue......

...   but look at the bright side..  they are sending you a "factory referbished" replacement, to replace that brand new phone you have...     so..  someone else has already broken it in for you .....

LBDanny

469 of 914 (1,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 9:20:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

@ daines1    I suspect you r post will be censored fairly quickly...  people memtioned that stuff on here..  but it gets pulled down really quickly....

....  I would point out to everyone that the arbitration information is on the AT&T website....     and we do not need to talk about it on here.

@ daines1    I suspect you r post will be censored fairly quickly...  people memtioned that stuff on here..  but it gets pulled down really quickly....

....  I would point out to everyone that the arbitration information is on the AT&T website....     and we do not need to talk about it on here.

470 of 914 (1,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 4:50:39 AM
(0)
Tutor
I hate having to reset gps while driving on freeway at 70mph or on busy residential street. Did not have to do it with any other of dozen devices. Unlike texting which can wait gps is mostly to be used while driving.

Did anyone try to call and request credit in terms of contract duration or credit to account? This may get message sooner.
I hate having to reset gps while driving on freeway at 70mph or on busy residential street. Did not have to do it with any other of dozen devices. Unlike texting which can wait gps is mostly to be used while driving.

Did anyone try to call and request credit in terms of contract duration or credit to account? This may get message sooner.

471 of 914 (1,899 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 3:26:00 PM
(0)
Mentor
Why wouldn't AT&T approve my review every time I mention the word GPS in the review text? There's only one review that didn't get filtered. LOL. Fix our phone AT&T. This is ridiculous.
Why wouldn't AT&T approve my review every time I mention the word GPS in the review text? There's only one review that didn't get filtered. LOL. Fix our phone AT&T. This is ridiculous.

472 of 914 (1,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 8:58:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

@ Thomasedison

to your questionDid anyone try to call and request credit in terms of contract duration or credit to account? This may get message sooner"

I did...  I called Customer Service, and talked for a long time...   got them to awknoldge that there was a problem...   Thier solution was to ofer to switch my phone out, with one that does not have that issue.   He suggested the Samsung MEGA ,   since I liked a large screen.

MEGA!?!?!? 

MEGA!?!?!?!?    as compared to the NOTE 3 !!?!?!?!??

I ..um.. literaly laghed in his face.    

compared tot he Note 3, the Mega   is slower, bad screen resolution, no s-pen...   the list goes on.

@ Thomasedison

to your questionDid anyone try to call and request credit in terms of contract duration or credit to account? This may get message sooner"

I did...  I called Customer Service, and talked for a long time...   got them to awknoldge that there was a problem...   Thier solution was to ofer to switch my phone out, with one that does not have that issue.   He suggested the Samsung MEGA ,   since I liked a large screen.

MEGA!?!?!? 

MEGA!?!?!?!?    as compared to the NOTE 3 !!?!?!?!??

I ..um.. literaly laghed in his face.    

compared tot he Note 3, the Mega   is slower, bad screen resolution, no s-pen...   the list goes on.

473 of 914 (1,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 10:02:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just called customer service, was on hold for nearly 30 minutes and eventually hung up.  Used online support chat and of course the ATT rep had never heard of the issue and it is still not in their main database as a known issue.  I asked for a service credit and he said the only way to get that would be to go through trouble shooting steps of basically setting phone to factory resets and all that crap. Not going to waste my time doing that based on the information in this forum.  At this point ATT has us, they can fix or not fix whenever they want to knowing we can do very little about it and continue to give out vaugue answers like an update is coming soon.  I fault Samsung equally for letting ATT get away with this damaging their brand.

Just called customer service, was on hold for nearly 30 minutes and eventually hung up.  Used online support chat and of course the ATT rep had never heard of the issue and it is still not in their main database as a known issue.  I asked for a service credit and he said the only way to get that would be to go through trouble shooting steps of basically setting phone to factory resets and all that crap. Not going to waste my time doing that based on the information in this forum.  At this point ATT has us, they can fix or not fix whenever they want to knowing we can do very little about it and continue to give out vaugue answers like an update is coming soon.  I fault Samsung equally for letting ATT get away with this damaging their brand.

474 of 914 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 11:20:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

Appears our issue (and specifically this thread) is now getting media attention.  A simple web search on this topic title will show which media outlet has picked up this forum topic concern.

Appears our issue (and specifically this thread) is now getting media attention.  A simple web search on this topic title will show which media outlet has picked up this forum topic concern.

475 of 914 (1,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 12:08:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

The Factory Reset does not solve my issue.

I have been having "GPS Signal Lost" messages that appear at random, no correlation to a location, use-case, or otherwise.

This issue occurs in any app that uses the GPS signal to determine location.

As far as I can tell, this is a software issue and I am hopeful that AT&T/Samsung can push a fix soon. Whether or not this gets fixed will influence my decision to switch to Verizon and to a different hardware provider when my contract is up.

The Factory Reset does not solve my issue.

I have been having "GPS Signal Lost" messages that appear at random, no correlation to a location, use-case, or otherwise.

This issue occurs in any app that uses the GPS signal to determine location.

As far as I can tell, this is a software issue and I am hopeful that AT&T/Samsung can push a fix soon. Whether or not this gets fixed will influence my decision to switch to Verizon and to a different hardware provider when my contract is up.

477 of 914 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 12:20:22 PM
(0)
Mentor
AT&T replied to my post via the official AT&T Facebook page stating they are actively investigating reports of the GPS issue and will provide an update as soon as they learn more.
AT&T replied to my post via the official AT&T Facebook page stating they are actively investigating reports of the GPS issue and will provide an update as soon as they learn more.

478 of 914 (1,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 2:03:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just joined this forum to say I've been having the same problem with my note 3 GPS. Google maps is worthless and I used to rely on it when I had my iPhone5. I use the google maps exclusively for finding places and getting around and now I am stuck without a GPS. This is sickening that I'm paying for this and not being able to use it. Something needs to be done ASAP. I wish I saw this thread before I bought this useless phone or I would have kept my iphone. My wife has a note 3 through Verizon and hers works flawlessly and is the reason I bought the note3. What a joke.
I just joined this forum to say I've been having the same problem with my note 3 GPS. Google maps is worthless and I used to rely on it when I had my iPhone5. I use the google maps exclusively for finding places and getting around and now I am stuck without a GPS. This is sickening that I'm paying for this and not being able to use it. Something needs to be done ASAP. I wish I saw this thread before I bought this useless phone or I would have kept my iphone. My wife has a note 3 through Verizon and hers works flawlessly and is the reason I bought the note3. What a joke.

479 of 914 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 3:36:42 PM
(0)
Voyager
I have a note 3 also and having the same issue. Hopefully with the new update 4.4 kikat the problem will get resolved if not a lot of people are going to be very unhappy to say least.
I have a note 3 also and having the same issue. Hopefully with the new update 4.4 kikat the problem will get resolved if not a lot of people are going to be very unhappy to say least.

480 of 914 (1,337 Views)