Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

913 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
View all replies
(913)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 1:23:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Initially I thought my father's Note 3 on T-Mobile had the same problem. I was wrong. Sad to say I'm so jealous his Note 3 doesn't share it our GPS woes. Smiley Sad
Initially I thought my father's Note 3 on T-Mobile had the same problem. I was wrong. Sad to say I'm so jealous his Note 3 doesn't share it our GPS woes. Smiley Sad

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

391 of 914 (1,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 4:23:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
I just tested the GPS on the way home. It typically dropped about 3 or 4 times on this route but did not drop once after the morning update. Worked great. GPS indicator seemed to be different. There was a constant solid circle in the middle. Before always blinked. I will continue to test but so far so good.
I just tested the GPS on the way home. It typically dropped about 3 or 4 times on this route but did not drop once after the morning update. Worked great. GPS indicator seemed to be different. There was a constant solid circle in the middle. Before always blinked. I will continue to test but so far so good.

392 of 914 (1,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 4:43:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just tested, it's still broke. however, it does somethjing it never did before, the signal comes back within about 2 or 3 minutes without having to manually invoke GPS.  it's an inprovement, but still broke.  if the kitkat upgrade doesn't fix it, then i'll root the phone and replace the files myself.

I just tested, it's still broke. however, it does somethjing it never did before, the signal comes back within about 2 or 3 minutes without having to manually invoke GPS.  it's an inprovement, but still broke.  if the kitkat upgrade doesn't fix it, then i'll root the phone and replace the files myself.

393 of 914 (1,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 5:30:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just installed the ATT update. I checked gps right away. While I did not go for a ride I can confirm that plugging or unplugging power drops gps immediately. Bummed and tired of this.

Got root?

I just installed the ATT update. I checked gps right away. While I did not go for a ride I can confirm that plugging or unplugging power drops gps immediately. Bummed and tired of this.

Got root?

394 of 914 (1,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 5:32:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

Same story here..  I went on my ride.  The GPS errored all over the place...  perhaps even worse than usual.  *sigh*..  Perhaps todays update was just some sort of precursor or bootloader for the Kitkat update.   

Oh yeah...  and it managed to wipe my playlists..  So thanks for that AT&T !!

Same story here..  I went on my ride.  The GPS errored all over the place...  perhaps even worse than usual.  *sigh*..  Perhaps todays update was just some sort of precursor or bootloader for the Kitkat update.   

Oh yeah...  and it managed to wipe my playlists..  So thanks for that AT&T !!

395 of 914 (1,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 5:45:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
Arguing still with at&t customer care on twitter and still telling me that the update never happened or released ! This argument been going on several hours. Lol all I what did the update fix. I cant find any info on it anywhere! Nobody knows!
Arguing still with at&t customer care on twitter and still telling me that the update never happened or released ! This argument been going on several hours. Lol all I what did the update fix. I cant find any info on it anywhere! Nobody knows!

396 of 914 (1,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 6:36:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hi again,

I've been watching the thread, even though I have not posted in a long time) and when I saw info about some update, I got excited.

I installed the update and I can 100% confirm THIS DID NOT FIX ANYTHNIG RELATED TO GPS

I seriousley hope this update was not supposed to be for the GPS issue, because if it was, it did not replace the 6 GPS config files that are causing the issue and that means the update MISSED THE ENTIRE FREAKING POINT!

Would be nice to see a change log for the NB4 update. Maybe it was a prep for a soon to come kit kat update?????? Maybe???

On a side note, my coworker who's phone we rooted and replaced the GPS files... Well his GPS is still working great. He does have one issue were the icon acts funny, but the GPS is perfect.

Anyways, best of luck eveyone and I hope AT&T really does care about it's flagship phone customers, but at this point looks like they don't Smiley Sad 

Hi again,

I've been watching the thread, even though I have not posted in a long time) and when I saw info about some update, I got excited.

I installed the update and I can 100% confirm THIS DID NOT FIX ANYTHNIG RELATED TO GPS

I seriousley hope this update was not supposed to be for the GPS issue, because if it was, it did not replace the 6 GPS config files that are causing the issue and that means the update MISSED THE ENTIRE FREAKING POINT!

Would be nice to see a change log for the NB4 update. Maybe it was a prep for a soon to come kit kat update?????? Maybe???

On a side note, my coworker who's phone we rooted and replaced the GPS files... Well his GPS is still working great. He does have one issue were the icon acts funny, but the GPS is perfect.

Anyways, best of luck eveyone and I hope AT&T really does care about it's flagship phone customers, but at this point looks like they don't Smiley Sad 

397 of 914 (1,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 6:44:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
Can I post pics on here. ... I want show people what att told me on twitter
Can I post pics on here. ... I want show people what att told me on twitter

398 of 914 (1,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 9:37:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

@ATTMarianaCM   Are u listening? The Software update that was released few days ago did not fix the GPS Issue.Please tell us or confirm that this is NOT the UPDATE you were talking about in your Previous Post.

I hope AT&T resolves this Issue ASAP. It seems easy to fix this Issue via an Update since as discussed in this forum the rrot cause of the issue has been determined.

@ATTMarianaCM   Are u listening? The Software update that was released few days ago did not fix the GPS Issue.Please tell us or confirm that this is NOT the UPDATE you were talking about in your Previous Post.

I hope AT&T resolves this Issue ASAP. It seems easy to fix this Issue via an Update since as discussed in this forum the rrot cause of the issue has been determined.

399 of 914 (1,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 7:07:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

You can post a pic,  just look for the "Insert/Edit Pic Icon" in teh toolbar above the text box when editing a message to be posted

You can post a pic,  just look for the "Insert/Edit Pic Icon" in teh toolbar above the text box when editing a message to be posted

400 of 914 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 8:00:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BaeckerX1 on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:01:50 AM

If the next update (KitKat or whatever) doesn't fix GPS I'm going to T-Mobile and having them pay my ETF. The GPS issue is a deal breaker for me. This is completely unnaceptable on such an expensive flagship device and a fix is taking entirely too long.

If the next update (KitKat or whatever) doesn't fix GPS I'm going to T-Mobile and having them pay my ETF. The GPS issue is a deal breaker for me. This is completely unnaceptable on such an expensive flagship device and a fix is taking entirely too long.

[ Edited ]
401 of 914 (1,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 9:55:38 AM
(0)
Explorer

@ATTMarianaCMAre you aware of the AT&T update that went out yesterday?  Do you know what the status is on the fix that you said AT&T and Samsung were jointly producing?  Whatever went out yesterday obviously did not fix the GPS issue based on the most recent comments.

@ATTMarianaCMAre you aware of the AT&T update that went out yesterday?  Do you know what the status is on the fix that you said AT&T and Samsung were jointly producing?  Whatever went out yesterday obviously did not fix the GPS issue based on the most recent comments.

402 of 914 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 9:57:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
This ^^^ at&t your getting pretty pathetic. I'm also will continue keep spreading how pathetic your customer service is and all my troubles with this and other issues I had with your company. Att personal on here saying this or that , Sophie at AT&T claiming that she's the assistant of the president telling me promises, at&t customer care on twitter (that I will be spreading pics of the tweets on the internet everywhere) that thinks customers making stuff up. If this isn't fixed soon with an update. I'm leaving uverse and going to Comcast and my family with 6 phone lines can go get better quality service somewhere else!
This ^^^ at&t your getting pretty pathetic. I'm also will continue keep spreading how pathetic your customer service is and all my troubles with this and other issues I had with your company. Att personal on here saying this or that , Sophie at AT&T claiming that she's the assistant of the president telling me promises, at&t customer care on twitter (that I will be spreading pics of the tweets on the internet everywhere) that thinks customers making stuff up. If this isn't fixed soon with an update. I'm leaving uverse and going to Comcast and my family with 6 phone lines can go get better quality service somewhere else!

403 of 914 (1,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 10:00:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
I concur on the course of action. I've got multiple issues caused by the AT&T modifications to 4.3 and it's only my loyalty that's kept me from walking to t mobile before now. I'm giving AT&T another couple of days, but if Kitkat hasn't rolled out by then... then I'll be confident that we are just profit points to them, not customers whose loyalty is repaid with vaguely - prompt response times.

I use Maps for navigation, combined with a dash cam app to record driving. If I can't rely on the GPS remaining usable (coordinates are stored as a subtitle stream in the video, and random errors make the use of the video in accident lawsuits dubious at best) then I can't keep relying on AT&T as the smartphone provider for our business needs.
I concur on the course of action. I've got multiple issues caused by the AT&T modifications to 4.3 and it's only my loyalty that's kept me from walking to t mobile before now. I'm giving AT&T another couple of days, but if Kitkat hasn't rolled out by then... then I'll be confident that we are just profit points to them, not customers whose loyalty is repaid with vaguely - prompt response times.

I use Maps for navigation, combined with a dash cam app to record driving. If I can't rely on the GPS remaining usable (coordinates are stored as a subtitle stream in the video, and random errors make the use of the video in accident lawsuits dubious at best) then I can't keep relying on AT&T as the smartphone provider for our business needs.

404 of 914 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 12:22:55 PM
(0)
Scholar
honestly I left tmobile to AT&T because of Tmob limited range around my city . I overlooked certain things until this issue. Im just really frustrated with this and calmed down until an update was released and didn't solve anything after promises of fixes . Im holding out with little hope until kit kat update then I'll make a final decision on who's going to be next cell providerI'm just really frustrated with this and calmed down until an update was released and didn't solve anything after promises of fixes. I'm holding out with little hope until kit kat update then I'll make a final decision on who's going to be next cell provider.
honestly I left tmobile to AT&T because of Tmob limited range around my city . I overlooked certain things until this issue. Im just really frustrated with this and calmed down until an update was released and didn't solve anything after promises of fixes . Im holding out with little hope until kit kat update then I'll make a final decision on who's going to be next cell providerI'm just really frustrated with this and calmed down until an update was released and didn't solve anything after promises of fixes. I'm holding out with little hope until kit kat update then I'll make a final decision on who's going to be next cell provider.

405 of 914 (1,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 12:24:32 PM
(0)
Scholar
^^^ and what the heck did my phone do just now ??lol whoops !
^^^ and what the heck did my phone do just now ??lol whoops !

406 of 914 (1,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 12:52:37 PM
(0)
Mentor
If kitkat doesn't fix this issue I myself will be switching to T mobile
also.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
If kitkat doesn't fix this issue I myself will be switching to T mobile
also.

407 of 914 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 4:31:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

Good luck with T-Mobile..  Their coverage outside of cities and highways sux. 

Good luck with T-Mobile..  Their coverage outside of cities and highways sux. 

408 of 914 (1,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 4:33:37 PM
(0)
Mentor
Actually in Massachusetts it's quite good in the city and out. I have a
Hotspot from them through work and it's signal is just as strong anywhere I
take it inside MA with the exception of when I drive to Cape cod.

Actually in Massachusetts it's quite good in the city and out. I have a
Hotspot from them through work and it's signal is just as strong anywhere I
take it inside MA with the exception of when I drive to Cape cod.

409 of 914 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 7:08:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
Heads up, what the recent update covered .Changelog toward the end of article on what it did to our phone's.
http://androidandme.com/2014/02/news/att-galaxy-s-4-getting-kitkat-update-note-3-getting-pre-kitkat-...
Heads up, what the recent update covered .Changelog toward the end of article on what it did to our phone's.
http://androidandme.com/2014/02/news/att-galaxy-s-4-getting-kitkat-update-note-3-getting-pre-kitkat-update/

410 of 914 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 7:30:11 PM
(0)
Scholar
Thanks for that! Looks like a whole lotta not-a-gps fix! I guess I'd rather see that then have them tell me that was supposed to be the fix.
Thanks for that! Looks like a whole lotta not-a-gps fix! I guess I'd rather see that then have them tell me that was supposed to be the fix.

411 of 914 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 7:38:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well..  I do a lot of deep rural; work in TX and LA and had to switch from T-Mobile simply due to lack of coverage.  This was years ago but I still see others complaining of the same issues.  Same with Sprint.  If you need rural, you get AT&T or Verizon around here.

Well..  I do a lot of deep rural; work in TX and LA and had to switch from T-Mobile simply due to lack of coverage.  This was years ago but I still see others complaining of the same issues.  Same with Sprint.  If you need rural, you get AT&T or Verizon around here.

412 of 914 (1,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 9:42:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

It has been @ 100 days since this thread was opened about a possible problem with GPS on the Galaxy Note 3.

And still no fix for one of the essential requirements for a smart phone these days.

How on earth has ATT been able to ignore such a huge and glaring problem?

Upgrading to this phone was one of the happiest geeky/tech days of my life.

Since then I have missed turns, gotten lost, been unable to play certain games (Ingress + Enlightened = Awesome) and lost some personal files because of a "we need to completely reflash your phone, but we'll back up all your data" due to this known issue. I have spent so many hours trying to figure out if it was something I had done that was causing this problem. I did factory resets. I didn't install apps. I didn't update apps. All in the hope that I could fix what was broken. I asked friends with Note 3s on Verizon and they stated that they didn't see a problem at all...

Of course they didn't, right ATT?

I get that updates take a LONG time and a LOT of red tape to get through before they can be released. I get that there are legal reasons why you cannot admit fault or even acknowledge that there is an issue to begin with. But you make sure you fix it. You make sure you figure out a way to make that very expensive device work on your network. Even if you stealth patch it, you patch it.

I hate that I have spent way more time figuring out what is wrong with my Note 3 than enjoying it. Today a $300 smartphone w/o a functional GPS is useless to the user and embarrassing to the carrier. 

It has been @ 100 days since this thread was opened about a possible problem with GPS on the Galaxy Note 3. Please fix this. Preferably yesterday.

It has been @ 100 days since this thread was opened about a possible problem with GPS on the Galaxy Note 3.

And still no fix for one of the essential requirements for a smart phone these days.

How on earth has ATT been able to ignore such a huge and glaring problem?

Upgrading to this phone was one of the happiest geeky/tech days of my life.

Since then I have missed turns, gotten lost, been unable to play certain games (Ingress + Enlightened = Awesome) and lost some personal files because of a "we need to completely reflash your phone, but we'll back up all your data" due to this known issue. I have spent so many hours trying to figure out if it was something I had done that was causing this problem. I did factory resets. I didn't install apps. I didn't update apps. All in the hope that I could fix what was broken. I asked friends with Note 3s on Verizon and they stated that they didn't see a problem at all...

Of course they didn't, right ATT?

I get that updates take a LONG time and a LOT of red tape to get through before they can be released. I get that there are legal reasons why you cannot admit fault or even acknowledge that there is an issue to begin with. But you make sure you fix it. You make sure you figure out a way to make that very expensive device work on your network. Even if you stealth patch it, you patch it.

I hate that I have spent way more time figuring out what is wrong with my Note 3 than enjoying it. Today a $300 smartphone w/o a functional GPS is useless to the user and embarrassing to the carrier. 

It has been @ 100 days since this thread was opened about a possible problem with GPS on the Galaxy Note 3. Please fix this. Preferably yesterday.

413 of 914 (1,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 5:20:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

All corporations are the same now.....the airlines' customer service has merged with all other industries to form an overall corporate culture of "we don't care" but please call our glorious "outsourced" customer service so we call kindly tell you we don't care.

Whether it's Comcast or ATT or Delta or USBank or my local power utility.....they all read from the same script.  Have you ever dealt with a hardware problem in an HP laptop....makes ATT support look caring.

If you have a problem not caused by you, then you'd better take a couple days off work to try to fix it and then...

Nothing truly ever gets fixed.....you get what you get....and I'm in the same boat.

All corporations are the same now.....the airlines' customer service has merged with all other industries to form an overall corporate culture of "we don't care" but please call our glorious "outsourced" customer service so we call kindly tell you we don't care.

Whether it's Comcast or ATT or Delta or USBank or my local power utility.....they all read from the same script.  Have you ever dealt with a hardware problem in an HP laptop....makes ATT support look caring.

If you have a problem not caused by you, then you'd better take a couple days off work to try to fix it and then...

Nothing truly ever gets fixed.....you get what you get....and I'm in the same boat.

414 of 914 (1,021 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 5:38:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
I swear the GPS is worse after the update. AT&T is leaving those of us who love the Note 3 no choice but to fix it ourselves.
I swear the GPS is worse after the update. AT&T is leaving those of us who love the Note 3 no choice but to fix it ourselves.

415 of 914 (1,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 7:10:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm waiting anxiously in hopes that they inserted some new GPS files into the upcoming KitKat update and that we get it soon. It'll be completely crushing if they don't fix it in the new update. I need a working GPS!

I'm waiting anxiously in hopes that they inserted some new GPS files into the upcoming KitKat update and that we get it soon. It'll be completely crushing if they don't fix it in the new update. I need a working GPS!

416 of 914 (991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 7:31:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

That update was not the purported "fix".  It is still to come.

That update was not the purported "fix".  It is still to come.

417 of 914 (980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 7:31:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

The fact that we've waited so long for AT&T to resolve a vital function of their flagship device is utterly unfathomable.

The fact that we've waited so long for AT&T to resolve a vital function of their flagship device is utterly unfathomable.

418 of 914 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 8:17:21 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:43:17 AM

If we were talking about not being able to set a screensaver to adorable pandas - that would be an over-reaction.
If we were talking about a ringtone not playing the latest Lady Gaga song properly - that would be an over-reaction.
If we were talking about not being able to watch Kitten .gifs on our phone - while tragic, that would be an over-reaction.

I have been more than patient waiting for a fix. I have done more than my share of troubleshooting and searching for a solution to their problem. A functioning GPS is important to many of us. There are those that hope for a certain level of service and communication from their carrier.

I am one of them.

If we were talking about not being able to set a screensaver to adorable pandas - that would be an over-reaction.
If we were talking about a ringtone not playing the latest Lady Gaga song properly - that would be an over-reaction.
If we were talking about not being able to watch Kitten .gifs on our phone - while tragic, that would be an over-reaction.

I have been more than patient waiting for a fix. I have done more than my share of troubleshooting and searching for a solution to their problem. A functioning GPS is important to many of us. There are those that hope for a certain level of service and communication from their carrier.

I am one of them.

[ Edited ]
419 of 914 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 8:20:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by BaeckerX1 on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:24:57 AM

So you're saying we should just buy a Garmin and ignore it? Some of us use GPS as a critical function of our work and fitness lives. Buying a device this expensive you don't expect to have these issues or at least have them fixed quickly. I don't mind a few bugs here and there, but this is major and everyone knows what the fix is already. What bothers me more than the problem itself is the utter lack of communication or status updates on this.

Also, the more attention that is brought to this issue, the more likely we are to see a fix. You may call it whining but if no one speaks up, nothing will be fixed. You should be thankful to the vocal minority for shouting for a fix that will actually help all those too lazy to report it and "just deal". I don't think expecting a critical service to function properly is being entitled or demanding. Maybe you're content to be a mere ATM for big corporations, but I prefer to actually get the services I'm paying for.

So you're saying we should just buy a Garmin and ignore it? Some of us use GPS as a critical function of our work and fitness lives. Buying a device this expensive you don't expect to have these issues or at least have them fixed quickly. I don't mind a few bugs here and there, but this is major and everyone knows what the fix is already. What bothers me more than the problem itself is the utter lack of communication or status updates on this.

Also, the more attention that is brought to this issue, the more likely we are to see a fix. You may call it whining but if no one speaks up, nothing will be fixed. You should be thankful to the vocal minority for shouting for a fix that will actually help all those too lazy to report it and "just deal". I don't think expecting a critical service to function properly is being entitled or demanding. Maybe you're content to be a mere ATM for big corporations, but I prefer to actually get the services I'm paying for.

[ Edited ]
420 of 914 (982 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments