Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 18, 2013
8:12:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 27, 2014 8:38:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

Customers who have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 began to receive the latest version of Android 4.4 KitKat today.

For more information, please click on the link below.

Android 4.4 KitKat

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

913 replies
(123) Me too
(123) Me too
View all replies
(913)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 7:06:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Let's go att, fix this issue.

tell us what your progress is, why people that root can fix their but everyone is left with broken gps

Let's go att, fix this issue.

tell us what your progress is, why people that root can fix their but everyone is left with broken gps

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

211 of 914 (4,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:52:50 AM
(0)
Explorer

I'm going to try this later today, but I found directions for turning off LTE.

http://www.itjungles.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-how-to-turn-on-off-4g-lte.html

To save the click

1. Just use the Phone app and dial “*#*#4636#*#*” to head to “Device info” mode.

2. After you enter Device info, switch LTE/GSM auto(PRL) to GSM only. This applied for versions SM-N9005, AT&T SM-N900A, T-Mobile SM-N900T, Canadian SM-N900W8.

I'm going to try this later today, but I found directions for turning off LTE.

http://www.itjungles.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-how-to-turn-on-off-4g-lte.html

To save the click

1. Just use the Phone app and dial “*#*#4636#*#*” to head to “Device info” mode.

2. After you enter Device info, switch LTE/GSM auto(PRL) to GSM only. This applied for versions SM-N9005, AT&T SM-N900A, T-Mobile SM-N900T, Canadian SM-N900W8.

212 of 914 (4,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 10:42:55 AM
(0)
Voyager

Yeah, this is really frustrating.

Just got off the phone with ATT support.  He said this is the very first time he has heard of the issue and then said it is not an ATT problem, but rather, Samsung.  he put me on hold in order to contact Samsung, then relayed this from them:  make sure I am using the latest version of Maps, or use a different map application.

So, that was basically no help.  

I told him that there is an 8 page thread on this issue and that we're not hearing anything from ATT about it.  His response was that this is a totally different department.  

So, it is the classic corporate run around. 

ATT is blowing it here.

Yeah, this is really frustrating.

Just got off the phone with ATT support.  He said this is the very first time he has heard of the issue and then said it is not an ATT problem, but rather, Samsung.  he put me on hold in order to contact Samsung, then relayed this from them:  make sure I am using the latest version of Maps, or use a different map application.

So, that was basically no help.  

I told him that there is an 8 page thread on this issue and that we're not hearing anything from ATT about it.  His response was that this is a totally different department.  

So, it is the classic corporate run around. 

ATT is blowing it here.

213 of 914 (4,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 11:51:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

Changing the config to use GSM only doesn't work ... GPS still drops.

Changing the config to use GSM only doesn't work ... GPS still drops.

214 of 914 (4,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 1:12:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

the only quick and dirty thing that works to date is to swith to "airplane" mode while driving and using the nav app (any flavor).  that at least stops the GPS from dropping, although you sacrifice any of the apps data, traffic updates, etc.

the only quick and dirty thing that works to date is to swith to "airplane" mode while driving and using the nav app (any flavor).  that at least stops the GPS from dropping, although you sacrifice any of the apps data, traffic updates, etc.

215 of 914 (4,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 5:59:06 PM
(0)
Explorer

So set the phone to GSM auto (PRL), and didn't loose GPS once on a 40 mile trip.  I usually loose it 4-5 times, and had a good lock the entire time.  I'm going to leave it this way for a while and see what come of it.  I don't have another trip until later in the week, but it may be a work around for anyone else that wants to try it. 

So set the phone to GSM auto (PRL), and didn't loose GPS once on a 40 mile trip.  I usually loose it 4-5 times, and had a good lock the entire time.  I'm going to leave it this way for a while and see what come of it.  I don't have another trip until later in the week, but it may be a work around for anyone else that wants to try it. 

216 of 914 (3,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 10:43:13 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Feb 2, 2014 at 5:27:36 AM

@att WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? WHERE IS THE FIX? WHY ARE YOU NOT REPLYING TO ANYONE? THIS IS COMPLETE AND TOTAL {Inappropriate content removed}! THERE'S OBVIOUSLY AN ISSUE NOW GET IT RESOLVED!

@att WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? WHERE IS THE FIX? WHY ARE YOU NOT REPLYING TO ANYONE? THIS IS COMPLETE AND TOTAL {Inappropriate content removed}! THERE'S OBVIOUSLY AN ISSUE NOW GET IT RESOLVED!

[ Edited ]
217 of 914 (3,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 12:07:57 AM
(0)
Mentor
Just finished a survey regarding @att and the Note 3. Sad what I had to say but that's what happens when a problem is discovered, a resolution found but NO ONE AT AT&T GIVES A CAN!
Just finished a survey regarding @att and the Note 3. Sad what I had to say but that's what happens when a problem is discovered, a resolution found but NO ONE AT AT&T GIVES A CAN!

218 of 914 (3,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 10:21:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
I started to notice the GPS signal lost frequently on Jan15th, does anyone start noticing problem arround that time? I was not even sure if all there were triggered by an auto update or n app that i installed.

BTW, do you guys think filing a complaint to consumer affairs bureau will draw more attention from att? Just saying
I started to notice the GPS signal lost frequently on Jan15th, does anyone start noticing problem arround that time? I was not even sure if all there were triggered by an auto update or n app that i installed.

BTW, do you guys think filing a complaint to consumer affairs bureau will draw more attention from att? Just saying

219 of 914 (3,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 1:51:43 PM
(0)
Explorer
I've had my Note 3 since November and noticed the GPS issue around mid-January as well.
I've had my Note 3 since November and noticed the GPS issue around mid-January as well.

220 of 914 (3,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 3:13:59 PM
(0)
Mentor
Consumer Affairs, your individual States Attorney General as well as the Better Business Bureau would be a good start.

But none of these options would need to be utilized if @att would just get the fix in motion instead of laying down and doing the blame game.
Consumer Affairs, your individual States Attorney General as well as the Better Business Bureau would be a good start.

But none of these options would need to be utilized if @att would just get the fix in motion instead of laying down and doing the blame game.

221 of 914 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 6:10:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
Funny how someone has the time to go and critique my posts yet has no time or even the gumption to respond to any of the other posts.

What's wrong @att, scared we know the truth and you have no merit to prove us wrong?
Funny how someone has the time to go and critique my posts yet has no time or even the gumption to respond to any of the other posts.

What's wrong @att, scared we know the truth and you have no merit to prove us wrong?

222 of 914 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 6:12:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just got a chance to use the phone in a 6 hr drive. First I confirmed that the problem was there. Use sygic navigation as an offline navigation. After setting my destination and having it run for 10min, it fails and hangs on a certain point along the map. I waited for it to recover, but after 10-15 mins. It never recovered. Then I gave it another try, this time turning on the airplane mode. This time it only uses the GPS rather than the AGPS. It worked like a champ. The rest of the way my note 3 didnt disconnect nor failed the navigation. Even if it failed to get a signal at some spots. It recovers right away once it can. 

I guess this only proves again what we all know.

This is definitely a defect that you cant use your cell data together with your gps. Sooo stupid that they cant get this fixed at this point in time.

I just got a chance to use the phone in a 6 hr drive. First I confirmed that the problem was there. Use sygic navigation as an offline navigation. After setting my destination and having it run for 10min, it fails and hangs on a certain point along the map. I waited for it to recover, but after 10-15 mins. It never recovered. Then I gave it another try, this time turning on the airplane mode. This time it only uses the GPS rather than the AGPS. It worked like a champ. The rest of the way my note 3 didnt disconnect nor failed the navigation. Even if it failed to get a signal at some spots. It recovers right away once it can. 

I guess this only proves again what we all know.

This is definitely a defect that you cant use your cell data together with your gps. Sooo stupid that they cant get this fixed at this point in time.

223 of 914 (3,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 6:16:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
@ATTMarianaCM, been days since your last acknowledgement that this page and your customers still exist. What's the hold up?
@ATTMarianaCM, been days since your last acknowledgement that this page and your customers still exist. What's the hold up?

224 of 914 (3,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 8:36:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

We need to do something “ All Together  “ otherwise At&t Or Samsung not going to solve this issue !

We need to do something “ All Together  “ otherwise At&t Or Samsung not going to solve this issue !

225 of 914 (3,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 10:01:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Add me as another GPS issue.  If no one has posted to BBB or other venue, I'll look into it this week.

Add me as another GPS issue.  If no one has posted to BBB or other venue, I'll look into it this week.

226 of 914 (3,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 12:12:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

@james27007 Thanks for the response. Funny seeing people's posts in this thread get edited by AT&T yet no one has responded with anything. But again, can't say that I'm surprised as that's how they always do it, blame somebody else.

Dear AT&T, 

Not Samsung's fault. If the International Note 3 works fine, and other people in this thread reported having tested out Note 3s from other carriers and those work fine then the common denominator here is we're all running on AT&T's ROM. Get to it, make an OTA of the International version of the GPS files so we don't need to root our phones to apply it. We won't call you out on it, just do it and send the update OTA and we'll all pretend this never happened. 

Side note, anybody tested to see if this issue occurs while using the PAID AT&T navigation program? Don't think they'd do something so devious but I just got to thinking about Verizon and their class action law suit a few years back where they actually disabled the GPS in their ROM with 3rd party apps and only their VZ Navigator could access it. 

@james27007 Thanks for the response. Funny seeing people's posts in this thread get edited by AT&T yet no one has responded with anything. But again, can't say that I'm surprised as that's how they always do it, blame somebody else.

Dear AT&T, 

Not Samsung's fault. If the International Note 3 works fine, and other people in this thread reported having tested out Note 3s from other carriers and those work fine then the common denominator here is we're all running on AT&T's ROM. Get to it, make an OTA of the International version of the GPS files so we don't need to root our phones to apply it. We won't call you out on it, just do it and send the update OTA and we'll all pretend this never happened. 

Side note, anybody tested to see if this issue occurs while using the PAID AT&T navigation program? Don't think they'd do something so devious but I just got to thinking about Verizon and their class action law suit a few years back where they actually disabled the GPS in their ROM with 3rd party apps and only their VZ Navigator could access it. 

227 of 914 (3,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 10:50:37 AM
(0)
Mentor
Anyone at @att Or @att or even @ATTMarianaCM have any input here? Anyone?
Anyone at @att Or @att or even @ATTMarianaCM have any input here? Anyone?

228 of 914 (3,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 11:52:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Note that GSM only will have you connect just the Edge network which is 2G. You might want to choose WCDMA preferred or WCDMA only which will force 3G/non-LTE 4G. WCDMA preferred will allow going to Edge network if no 3G/4G connection is available whil WCDMA only will lock you on 3G/4G (without LTE) and give you no connection if 3G/4G not available.

I'm going to try the WCDMA preferred setting and see if it keeps the GPS from dropping for me. It should have the added bonus of increasing battery life as well. GSM only would really increase battery life, but 2G speeds are pretty hard to live with.

Note that GSM only will have you connect just the Edge network which is 2G. You might want to choose WCDMA preferred or WCDMA only which will force 3G/non-LTE 4G. WCDMA preferred will allow going to Edge network if no 3G/4G connection is available whil WCDMA only will lock you on 3G/4G (without LTE) and give you no connection if 3G/4G not available.

I'm going to try the WCDMA preferred setting and see if it keeps the GPS from dropping for me. It should have the added bonus of increasing battery life as well. GSM only would really increase battery life, but 2G speeds are pretty hard to live with.

229 of 914 (3,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 12:25:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

I tried WCDMA only ... no luck, still drops GPS.  I live in an area where I can quickly test options  There are 3 specific locations that I can drive thru and in all 3 spots, GPS drops without exception.  It so precise that I can see GPS drop within 20 yards or so at each location.  Crazy.

Airplane mode is still the only working option to date.

I tried WCDMA only ... no luck, still drops GPS.  I live in an area where I can quickly test options  There are 3 specific locations that I can drive thru and in all 3 spots, GPS drops without exception.  It so precise that I can see GPS drop within 20 yards or so at each location.  Crazy.

Airplane mode is still the only working option to date.

230 of 914 (3,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 1:33:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
Man tried GSM only / GSM auto switch on. 30 mile drive. Results either maps navigation was slow to keep up with my moving and it dropped GPS twice. Another trip I used airplane mode and navigation just froze up. This is annoying! AT&T thanks again! All it takes is over the air update to fix but NOOO ITS NOT AT&T FAULT! FOR GEEZ SAKES AT&T CANT DO EVERYTHING FOR THIER CUSTOMERS ! AT&T DIDNT MAKE THE PHONE ITS SAMSUNG'S DOING! THEY FIX IT!
Man tried GSM only / GSM auto switch on. 30 mile drive. Results either maps navigation was slow to keep up with my moving and it dropped GPS twice. Another trip I used airplane mode and navigation just froze up. This is annoying! AT&T thanks again! All it takes is over the air update to fix but NOOO ITS NOT AT&T FAULT! FOR GEEZ SAKES AT&T CANT DO EVERYTHING FOR THIER CUSTOMERS ! AT&T DIDNT MAKE THE PHONE ITS SAMSUNG'S DOING! THEY FIX IT!

231 of 914 (3,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 1:54:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, no luck here. If anything, doing either of the options I described caused it to be worse.

I am at a loss. Airplane mode is not an option for me as my family could potentially need to get a hold of me while I'm driving or while I'm out on a jog/walk. I really love this device, but the GPS issues are killing it for me. 

Getting desperate here. Thursday is my drop dead date for exchanging this phone for a different one.

Yeah, no luck here. If anything, doing either of the options I described caused it to be worse.

I am at a loss. Airplane mode is not an option for me as my family could potentially need to get a hold of me while I'm driving or while I'm out on a jog/walk. I really love this device, but the GPS issues are killing it for me. 

Getting desperate here. Thursday is my drop dead date for exchanging this phone for a different one.

232 of 914 (3,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 2:45:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
^^^ what u think about the LG Flex? Looks enticing but 720 display n washed out grey whites. Other than that phone looks great on paper! Then there is other option if you want a Note 3 and seems doesn't mind you doing since they don't want to fix an issue ....GO TO A CARRIER WITH A WORKING NOTE 3 Smiley Wink .
^^^ what u think about the LG Flex? Looks enticing but 720 display n washed out grey whites. Other than that phone looks great on paper! Then there is other option if you want a Note 3 and seems doesn't mind you doing since they don't want to fix an issue ....GO TO A CARRIER WITH A WORKING NOTE 3 Smiley Wink .

233 of 914 (3,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 2:46:57 PM
(0)
Scholar
^^^ sorry edit ....AT&T seems it doesn't mind since they don't want to fix an issue ...
^^^ sorry edit ....AT&T seems it doesn't mind since they don't want to fix an issue ...

234 of 914 (3,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 6:04:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

ATT what is the update on this issue?

ATT what is the update on this issue?

235 of 914 (3,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 7:38:15 PM
(0)
Mentor
Gee. What shall I say then?

AT&T YOU ARE DOING A FINE JOB HANDLING THIS ISSUE. ALMOST AS IF IT NEVER EXISTED!

THANKS FOR UP TO DATE AND INFORMATIVE POSTS THAT KEEP YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS HAPPY AND EXCITED TO BE A PART OF SUCH AN AWESOME INSTITUTION!

Good golly, I sure hope this post doesn't get corrected or removed.

Sad when you post the truth how people get scared and cover things up.
Gee. What shall I say then?

AT&T YOU ARE DOING A FINE JOB HANDLING THIS ISSUE. ALMOST AS IF IT NEVER EXISTED!

THANKS FOR UP TO DATE AND INFORMATIVE POSTS THAT KEEP YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS HAPPY AND EXCITED TO BE A PART OF SUCH AN AWESOME INSTITUTION!

Good golly, I sure hope this post doesn't get corrected or removed.

Sad when you post the truth how people get scared and cover things up.

236 of 914 (3,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 7:42:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Why can't we get any information on the resolution of said issue regarding the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue?

You all have been given all the essential information about what it is, how it happens, who it's happening to and how to fix it.

So what's the hold up?
Why can't we get any information on the resolution of said issue regarding the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue?

You all have been given all the essential information about what it is, how it happens, who it's happening to and how to fix it.

So what's the hold up?

Lack of support

237 of 914 (3,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 8:36:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

FYI, I just file a complaint on FCC and of course this board was attached for reference. For rest of us here, I strongly recommend to do the same using the link below and hope we can put some pressure on ATT side.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

FYI, I just file a complaint on FCC and of course this board was attached for reference. For rest of us here, I strongly recommend to do the same using the link below and hope we can put some pressure on ATT side.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

238 of 914 (3,504 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 9:21:43 PM
(0)
Scholar
JUST COMPLETED COMPLAINT TO FCC!
JUST COMPLETED COMPLAINT TO FCC!

239 of 914 (3,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 4:07:42 PM
(0)
Voyager
Maps program was update today with "bug fixes." Has anyone tried it out?
Maps program was update today with "bug fixes." Has anyone tried it out?

240 of 914 (3,326 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments