For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks @james27007 for keeping up with this issue. This actually help me a lot in making my decision wether to stay or go to other provider. It takes a lot of patience to keep up with this crap and narrowing down the issue. 

Just to share, one of my friend just got a note 3 under T-Mobile and i asked him to use google maps to drive home. That was a 45 min drive. A lot of time for the GPS to fails (for with my phone right now I expect it to fail 3-5 times). But like he told me it was flawless.

So I guess at this point  you guys know what I will do. For a busy life, it is not worth the time to solve somebody else's problem (Yes ATT should have enough capability to solve this. Very incompetent for letting the subscribers solve this for them on my opinion) when there is a better option to solving it.

Ill probably come back to the posting to give my report after switching. Just to give back to the community.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I installed my old SIM Card and I was having lots of trouble with video's I took with the Note 3.
Some would play but most would not.
I also was dropping the GPS satellites a whole lot did not think there was a connection.

I reformatted the SIM Card and the new video's have been playing and the GPS appears to be working better. I have not done testing but I will use it everyday and try to see.

Possibly the problem is poor SIM Cards but I do not see the connection.

Will

[edited for privacy]

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

Might be on to something ....ok might sound stupid but how does the GPS work without a SD card in it? ? I'm know there was known issue with SD cards messing up in note 3 . I'm gonna get a new sim card tommorow and also try that.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Add yet another user with the same issue. Had my original Note 3 for a while and never really paid attention to this issue but I use GPS everyday and never put 2 and 2 together. So after researching the issue, I too started on XDA only to come here and see this post. I've exchanged my T2-3 device for a T2-4 only to have it work for no longer than 48 hours before the problem resurfaced. I took my original to a DSC that's local to me and had it swapped without issue after replicating this problem with the tech. I did however have to pay for re-installation of my Ghost Armor which is a cost I shouldn't have to incur.... I can very well just root and ROM as I've done this in the past but my question is:

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO @Anonymous #ATT #AT&T

Why are they not acknowledging this as a real issue. An AT&T issue considering that the T-Mobile, Verizon versions do not have the same issue? This is completely unacceptable! Been an AT&T customer for the last 7 years or so and can't believe what I'm reading.

I think, as stated before, as pain in the you know what it is, exchange them as much as possible to create a financial impact OR, wait it out for KitKat and see what happens. Either way, this is an obvious issue.... Had by a multitude of concerned customers.... That should be resolved by AT&T AND/OR Samsung of there's a chance that the hardware IS different for the "A" models.

Wish I had a fix for you all.... I await one with you!

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

@ms_unicorn - just wanted to ask if you on your end have enough of the right people involved with the research and resolution of this issue? You have actual testimonials of people from ALL over your coverage area with the SAME issue. This clearly is something that is localized to the AT&T versions of this device. Please tell me that you are not shucking this off and are actively pursuing an avenue for getting this corrected.

Not sure if you all CSM's for the social side of customer service are involved with the same networks but I know I've had good luck on FB (Facebook) AT&T corporate page in getting some concerns resolved. Hoping that here too would be just as pleasant an experience.

Please get back to us with status!

Thank you very much for your efforts in this matter @ATTMarianaCM.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@wchabor do you mean you reformatted your SD Card? You kept saying Sim Card.

@mastaofdacat in theory there is nothing that GPS dies that should affect the internal or external SD Cards, but with a try.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

@james27007 Well, can't say that's a surprise. School just started so haven't had a chance to come back here or check back on XDA. While I do think it's something that gets synced over mobile data, I don't think it's the A-GPS data and here's why:

A-GPS data gets downloaded the instant any app starts up the GPS, whether it's Google Maps or Waze or any of the GPS test apps. If A-GPS data were to corrupt the GPS files the effect would be instantaneous, wouldn't take 12 hours or 24 hours. Plus A-GPS data is more like a library of reference so that the GPS chip can quickly figure out where it is based on some initial readings it took, so the A-GPS data shouldn't be written to any place that can affect the GPS files at all. A-GPS data only affects Time To First Fix (TTFF). Example would be something like say your GPS chip reads numbers X and Y but needs more time to convert X and Y to longitude and latitude, A-GPS data is like a chart of X and Y values that corresponds to your location based on the carrier's data off where you are on the network so the GPS chip just uses the chart to give you longitude and latitude coordinates as a shortcut as opposed to it doing more work to convert X and Y into coordinates. A-GPS data is only used the first time you start up the GPS when it doesn't have its set of reference points and A-GPS data is usually set to refresh each day. And none of this has anything to do with the charger at all.

So I do believe it had to do with those files from drakeymcmb's GPS fix over at XDA which was confirmed by superbfox as he flashed those files. But then again those files came from the International version of our phone so obviously the problem isn't with Samsung, AT&T messed up something in those files when they converted them over to our AT&T ROM.

AT&T should just OTA those file to us in a hot fix and problem solved. 

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@goldendrag0n thank you, that explains A-GPS and removes some confusion on what exactly it did. I guess that's leaves the question what happens at the 22-24hr mark? Oh well, I'm going to wait till Friday for AT&T to respond in this forum, if no response I may just go and fix it myself.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Yes I meant SD card

Will

[Edited for privacy.]

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I broke down and installed the fix.  

It consists of replacing 6 files on the /system partition.  The only reason you need to root the phone is so that you can remount your /system partition read-write and not read-only.  

After replacing the 6 files and rebooting, my phone immediately worked.  I tested with the charger as well as receiving a phone call and the GPS held steady through both.  I have not left my home yet due to bad weather so i haven't done a road test.  Also It's only been around 12 hours at this point.  I'll check back in after the 24 hour mark just to make sure the problem doesn't resurface.  

I wanted to wait on AT&T to fix the issue, but as it became clear that they weren't going to fix this in a timely fashion I took matters in to my own hands.  It's not necessarily for everyone, but I'm tired of not being able to track my runs, play ingress, or navigate when I'm lost without constantly worrying about the gps dropping.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.